dVH/RALH Pain meds questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain meds questions Pain meds questions

Unread 03-28-2012, 03:53 PM
Pain meds questions

My surgery was on 3/5/12. I still have pain and discomfort.

My doctor gave me 60 Oxycodone after surgery. He then prescribed 20 more Oxycodone and then 20 Vicoprofen. I have about 5 Oxycodones and about 15 Vicoprofens left. He said he wouldn't give me anything else.

Motrin and Anacin doesn't help. I'm allergic to Tylenol and I don't like Aleve. Would Diclofenac help? Another doctor prescribed it for me.

I mentioned the surgery and pain to my primary care doctor. I left a message for her. Maybe she can call in something for my pain.

Do other people have problems getting pain meds after surgery?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2012, 05:24 PM
Re: Pain meds questions

My only problem was they kept trying to give me pain meds. While in the hospital I had pain meds 3 times and each time they tried to give me 2 percocet when I only needed one. When I went to leave the Dr. on call (not my OB/GYN) tried to give me a prescription for more percocet but I told him I didn't need it as my Ob/gyn had already given me some vicodin. If you are still having pain that bad for this long maybe you should consult with physician. There could be something else wrong. When I got home I only had to take pain meds like 3 or 4 times, I have like fifty something pills left out of 60.
Unread 03-28-2012, 05:45 PM

I was on oxycodone for about 2 months after I had brain surgery last year. I was also taking max amounts of ibuprofen and Tylenol. Once I got off the oxycodone, but was still taking Tylenol and ibuprofen, I had rebound headaches.

My doctor prescribed 600 mg Aleve but my headaches felt worse when I was taking it. She was trying to switch me to a longer acting pain medicine. Your body can get used to the short acting ones.

I ended up using Diclofenac because the Aleve did not work. The diclofenac helped me get off all the pain meds.

Since I've had the hyster, I've been using Aleve because when I use any short acting meds (percoset, Tylenol or ibuprofen) my headaches come back. If the Aleve were not helping, I would be using the Diclofenac instead.

I hope your doctor can help you manage your pain. If you are unable to have any other heavy duty meds, you might want to start slowly dosing down on the ones you have to wean off them. Is a half of an oxy effective?

Sorry you are still hurting. I hope you feel better soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2012, 06:11 PM

I had a Total Laparoscopic Hysterectomy and Bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy. He also removed my endometriosis. Maybe that's why I have a lot of pain. I see my gynecologist on 4/9/12. When I called about my symptoms, they said I didn't have to come in sooner.

I don't think half of an Oxycodone will work. I need at least 1 to take the edge off. I've also had pain issues from other surgeries. I can't tolerate pain well and I guess I'm a slow healer.

I just wish my pain/discomfort would go away.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register