advice please | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

advice please advice please

Unread 07-15-2001, 06:45 AM
advice please

G'day from aussieland

I am new here and dont post to boards often but would 1stly like to say ty for such a wonderful site. I am scheduled for a TAH on the 22nd of Aug, having had it postponed from the 9th of July because of anemia.

My iron level was 6 and haemoglobin 106 so iron shots where ordered and a larger hospital wanted by the surgeon to proceed.

After 5 iron shots as the tablets and liquid upset me so, my iron has dropped to 5 and haem 110.

Has any one else got this trouble and maybe even been thru this??

Yes, I know..I have left this to long, ( 2 years to be precise) and my bleeding constantly isnt helping..

What I would really like to know is about recovery when the iron is so low, and how much lower can I expect it to drop after surgery??

Hope some one out there can help me...

thanks once again for this wonderful board, it has helped me no end..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2001, 06:59 AM
Welcome Joles

and welcome to Hyster sisters,

Just wanted to welcome you and let you know that you have found a terrific place for information, support and caring. I have no experience with your specific situation but I am sure someone will be along in no time to help. Please come back and by the way I am schedule for August also.
Unread 07-15-2001, 02:12 PM
advice please

Hi!

Please talk with your doctor about a different iron supplement...there are many out there and maybe a different one would not affect you in the same way. I had good success with Slow Fe...had no stomach upset or constipation with it.

Also, be sure to take your iron with a juice high in Vitamin C, like orange juice. Vitamin C helps with the body's ability to absorb the iron, so it can be utilized effectively.

I wish you lots of luck in getting your iron up there!!!

s to you...

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2001, 05:44 PM
I have been anemic for two years too!

Jooles,

Hi! Just wanted to let you know we have a lot in common. I too have been anemic for two years because of heavy periods. I have been on several different kinds of iron and because they upset my stomach I did not take them as directed. The last two have been Chromagen (which I take at bedtime with half a glass of milk) and Slow Fe which I take during the day. My gyn wants me to take iron 3 times a day (Slow Fe at breakfast and lunch and Chromagen at bedtime). My iron level is better now than it has been over the past two years. I too am scheduled for a TAH on 8/22/01. I have also been put on Lupron Depot injections. I take 3 injections (one a month) for three months before my surgery. This injection is used to make your body think you are in a pre-menopause stage which after the first month stops you from having a (.) and also helps shrink the enlarged uterus and fibroids. Stopping the (.), of course, helps increase your blood level too. I have taken two injections so far. I actually feel better now (other than a few hot flashes and back pain) than I have in a while. My energy level has increased - probably because I am no longer anemic. I go to see my gyn this Thursday and I plan to ask about donating my own blood just in case I have to have a transfusion during surgery. Has anyone given blood before for themselves? I don't know if it can be done but I'm sure gonna try.

Ask you gyn about Lupron and Slow Fe. Slow Fe can be taken up to three times a day and it is very gentle to the stomach.

Good luck,

clynn2545
TAH 8/22/01 large fibroid, enlarged uterus, anemia, right ovarian cysts.
Unread 07-15-2001, 10:24 PM
advice please

Hi Jooles,

It will be eight years on August 13, since my TAH. I was bleeding to the point of hemorrhaging, and had to have emergency surgery. It is fortunate that you are being taken care of and the doctor is already treating you for the anemia. I had lost so much blood, and my count was so low, that I had to have blood transfusions the night before my surgery. They weren't too bad, and I was soooo weak, that I didn't really mind. Afterwards, and after my surgery, I quickly bounced back to feeling sooo much better within a couple of weeks. I am now 52 years old. I was 44 at the time.

Try not to worry, and hope that everything works out well for you! God bless and keep us all posted on how you do!

Welcome to our site!

TAH 8/13/93 for fibroids, polyps, endo, and adenomyosis
Unread 07-19-2001, 10:07 AM
advice please

I've posted to you on "August Sisters" also regarding my anemia as well. I too couldn't tolerate the oral iron supplements (mostly caused lots of constipation and stomach pains). I've found that an "iron fortified" cereal with 100% iron- Total Brand Flakes has worked for me- is much easier for me to tolerate. I can take a multivitamin with the regular amount of iron (with Orange juice like Karen suggested per my dietician friend to help with the absorption) and eat two bowls of the Total Bran Flakes- one in the a.m and one in the p.m. before bed. It has helped to slowly bring my hemoglobin back up to 8 or 9, not to mention making my bowels much more regular!

I hope this helps you too. My dietician also suggested lots of red meat, liver, and broccoli as well ( Why couldn't chocolate have iron? ) Oh well, I'm being good until my surgery is over and then I can get back to eating all of the "junk food".

GOOD LUCK!!!
Unread 07-19-2001, 10:47 AM
losing blood

hi! i have had the same problem when i had my hysterectomy i lost alot of blood. my blood did not clot they say. i had to be given blood during my surgery and my iron was really low when i left the hospital. i,m lucky to be alive.they know say that i have a blood disorder called von willebrands disease.it really wacked me out of it! my iron is gone back up since my surgery and they gave me pills to get it back up. hopefully it,ll pan itself out!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register