first day without pain meds | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

first day without pain meds first day without pain meds

Unread 07-19-2013, 08:47 AM
first day without pain meds

My surgery was 8 days ago and I just finished taking my pain meds. Should I expect any physical reactions from no longer taking the strong "narcotic" medications?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2013, 08:49 AM
Re: first day without pain meds

Are you still in any pain?
Unread 07-19-2013, 09:19 AM

If you are asking about withdrawal symptoms, no you shouldn't have any after taking narcotics for that short amount of time. I'm a little over two weeks post op and have still needed them here and there, although I don't take them regularly anymore. I hope you stay relatively pain free and don't need anymore, that would be wonderful!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2013, 09:38 AM

I had my surgery a day before you, and I'm down to maybe (one) 600 mg Motrin daily. I'm trying to wean myself off of it and see if I could last a day without anything, but it gets hard since I'm doing a bit more each day. Oh, and I stopped the Percocet days ago.
Unread 07-19-2013, 11:43 AM

I'm 24 days post op and I'm STILL taking Advil a couple of times a day to control inflammation and swelling.
I only took narcotic pain relievers for 6 days post surgery and the only side effect I had was constipation.
Unread 07-20-2013, 01:41 PM

Thanks everyone. I'm in some pain, so taking the 600 MG of Ibuprofen, which was also prescribed to me. I'm taking this every 6 hours. I was more curious about getting off the Oyxycodone / Acetaminnophen meds and if I should expect any reactions to that. Sounds like I hadn't taken them long enough, so I'm happy to know that. I was experiencing more of stomach cramps yesterday, which may have been as a result of no longer taking the stool softener now that I was off the Oxycodone. Feeling a lot better today, and practiced what the nurses and friends have all told me - walk as much as you can. Thanks again for your feedback. Clearly, we're in this together as it sounds like you guys had your surgeries right around the same time that I did.

I can't believe that the recovery time is 5 to 6 weeks. Wow!
Unread 07-20-2013, 03:23 PM

My Dr said 6 to 8 weeks. I'll be totally stir crazy by then. This first week, tho it's been rough, has zoomed by. Hopefully the rest do too... And no more surprise side effects or complications from surgery... ;-) Today is my first trial day without percocet. Don't think it'll last though. I've got other pains from before surgery that are too much on top of it all. But so far so good...

Best of luck to you. :-)
Unread 07-20-2013, 03:52 PM

All the Percocet did for me was make me more gassy and sleepy. I think it also stopped me up quite a bit, so I'm happy to be off of it. No, I had no reactions coming off except for clearer thinking. Glad I'm done with those.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register