Am I normal? Am I on track? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Am I normal? Am I on track? Am I normal? Am I on track?

Unread 10-18-2006, 02:17 AM
Am I normal? Am I on track?

I have been reading and reading these threads, and I think I am doing ok, but still would like any feedback. I am two weeks post op from my TAH today and am off all pain drugs, except Motrin every once in a while. I feel good, and have been up and moving since I got home, really without problems. Stairs have not been an issue, and although I was a little tired yesterday, it seems that I dont have any issues in moving about, and when it comes to bending I try to really bend at the knees and not at the hip, although there have been times that I have had to.

I think what is getting to me is reading about all the INTERNAL healing that my body is going through. I read about the "hundreds" of internal stitches...now, where are all those stitches? I have read about the TAH and seen some online videos, and it dosent seem like there are too many stitches inside the abdomen with this surgery; so I wonder, are these stitches in the abdominal wall, skin, or where? I had the external staples removed a few days after surgery and the tape put on at that point.

Sorry if I am rambling, just wondering (like lots of us) how long until I am back to normal.

On another note, my boss thinks I will be flying with her to Seattle in two weeks to work down there for a week....I have told her not to expect me back for 6-8 weeks, like my Dr. said, but she still thinks I will be there...after my follow up appt. on Thursday, I will be sure to let her know again that I will not be able to do that....!

Thanks, anyone and everyone who decided to read this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-18-2006, 05:56 AM

I don't know about the stitches, but, did you get a note from your doc to give to your employer regarding your being off? Mine said I would be incapacitated for 6 weeks. Pretty clear. One of my co workers made a crack about it - wow, what a long vacation!
Unread 10-18-2006, 05:59 AM

Most internal sutures have to do with closing laparascope sites, builing/closing the vaginal cuff, and doing anterior/posterior repair. Fallopian tubes are usually knotted or clamped. I don't know that it is "hundreds" of stitches, more like a few dozen. Also, many of the points of separationg are cautherized making sutures unnecessary.

I was 3 weeks post op Monday and have had a marvelous time with recovery. The only real setback I had was yesterday after seriously overdoing it Monday. I was so tired and weak and then every little twinge of pain seemed magnified by a billion. But I got to bed at 9 and up just now. Am hoping for a moderately active day today (job interviewing from 10 - 3) but then home to rest again. Best wishes ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-18-2006, 06:17 AM

Everyone is going to have some differences but they all sort of fall within the same parameters. For both of my laparascopic surgeries I had no stitches internally or externally. Last year they used surgical glue to close only the outside and let them internal go naturally and this time they used only steri-strips...no glue, no stitches, nothing.

I had the LAVH along with some major renovations in the whole vaginal area and while I know I have a lot of stitching in there, no way would I say there is a hundred. I may be wrong but they don't use too many for the bladder lift, the A/P repair is layered stitching but again, how many could they use. If it is at all close to that hundred number, I would point to the building of the vaginal cuff and the need for layers of stitching as they close it up.

As far as the trip with your boss, I'm sorry but I'm sitting chuckling. My DH has been tryiing to convince me to fly down to Florida and go sit in the sun for the rest of my recovery at my mothers. I just laughed.....the pressure it exerts and the discomfort (can't really say it is pain at this point) when the car starts and stops is amazing......I guess the G forces if you will. Can you imagine what it would feel like on a plane????? Add in handling luggage, sitting in that itty bitty sit without a way to stretch or anything....no thanks! lol Make sure you have the note from your doctor for your boss and stop thinking about the internal stitches....they're going to dissolve and you won't even know it! Otherwise I think you sound like you're doing just awesome!!!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register