New here and a couple questions (long) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here and a couple questions (long) New here and a couple questions (long)

Unread 08-01-2008, 09:54 AM
New here and a couple questions (long)

Hi all, I am new here and have been reading and absorbing info like crazy the past several weeks. A little background - I am 40 y/o married w/ 2 kids (7 and 10) - have had a few dysplasia paps off and on in the past, most recently had one that came back severe, had to have culp and LEEP, which came back carcinoma in situ, and my doc rec a hyst (TAH since I have had 2 c-sections), and I am scheduled for 9/24/08. Most of my questions have been answered just by reading past posts, but I do have a couple still.

First, I have a lumbar brace (like a corset), which I think is similar to an ab binder, but I am not sure - anyone familiar with both know if the lumbar support brace will work after surgery for me?

Second question is about my recovery plan - if this seems doable for a hyst. I know how I felt after my C-sections, but I also know this will be different, AND I am 7 years older now, lol. My dh plans to take the day of surg off (a Wed), then I will prob come home on Friday and he will be with me the weekend and go back to work. My mom plans on picking the kids up for school in the morning, then I will be alone during the day until she picks the kids up after school and brings them home. Then she will do laundry/make supper etc until dh gets home. (this is her normal routine, as she keeps the kids before and after school and does all this for me regularly - I am blessed!!!) So I will be alone during the day, but I am thinking I will be mostly resting - and will only have to care for my own basic needs anyway. Will I be okay without dh taking more time off work?

Thanks for the wealth of information I have already gotten from this site!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-01-2008, 10:10 AM

I think the best thing is to come up with the framework of a plan (which you've done) but also to keep in mind that all kinds of things go differently than expected. Some women come home earlier from the hospital, some stay days longer. Some are able to do more for themselves right from the beginning, some can't even get to the bathroom alone for a week. It really depends on your individual situation, how extensive your surgery ends up (including complications), how much pain your are in, and how quickly you heal. Your plan sounds great, but make sure you have backup plans B, C, and D--just in case.

Best wishes and hugs for a successful surgery and easy recover!
Unread 08-01-2008, 11:07 AM

Hi Love,

Ampyali has given you brilliant advice! We are all different and my 6 week leave turned into 12 weeks with three post op complications having me readmitted three times to hospital so the best laid plans of mice and men went astray ... LOL

My hubby was home for a week post op and it was wondeful ... I don't think I could have managed without him there but maybe I am just a wimp ... LOL This was my third surgery in 11 months so I had had a bit of a rough road to start with. All in all my hubby ended up taking three plus weeks off.

Your plans sounds great and if you have a back up in place you will be great.

Great big hugs,
Tracy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-01-2008, 11:11 AM

Hi there! I had a TAH also because of 2 previous c-sections. I think your plan is very doable. (is that a word? lol) My DH stayed home the following week only because I have very young children that require lifting. However, if it was just me home, I would have been fine by myself. My only suggestion is that before your DH leaves for work decide where you want to be...bed, couch etc. It's alot easier for him to gather the things you might need (phone, book, remote, drink, pain meds) rather than you having to get up and down.

I wish you the best!
Unread 08-01-2008, 11:15 AM

Your plan sounds great! My hubby didn't take any more time off than yours is anticipating (though I didn't have kids either, but do have 5 dogs). Pretty much all I did for the first week and a half after surgery was lie on the couch and watch tv (thank god for cable!) and a bunch of movies. After that I would usually drive into town about 5 miles and have lunch with hubby and then go lay down for the rest of the day, at least this got me out of the house and kept me from going stir crazy!
Sorry I can't help with the first question I had my hyst done with the da vinci so I just ended up with 4 little incisions..
Good luck!!
Unread 08-01-2008, 02:51 PM

Hi Gilly. I agree with all of the ladies here so far... My surgery was on Thursday, came home Saturday. DH went back to work the next Thursday. I probably would have been fine, but someone had to deal with getting the kids to school, etc. I actually barely saw him, I slept so much. He did a wonderful job getting my meals, drinks, meds, helping me shower... But, I would have been just fine on my own. Mostly, I had everything at my fingertips on the bedside table.

Good luck!
Unread 08-01-2008, 05:37 PM

I had a TAH w/complication so my 2 nights turned into 5 nights at the hospital. After I was home I slept a lot the first week. If you are going to be home alone during the day make sure you can get to the bathroom without help 1st. 2nd make sure where ever you make your nest(pillows and blankets lots of them) you can get up by yourself. I found I could not get out of the rocker recliner very well(rocks real well). But I could get off the sofa okay. I am 38 but was sent home with a walker(perfect for getting up) hubby had to talk the bathroom door off the front bathroom for me as the walker didn't fit with the door on. I have a lovely sheet hanging there right now. 3rd is it possible for you mom to check on you while the children are at school for the 1st week. Best wishes on your surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register