Can't ask my Dr. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can't ask my Dr. Can't ask my Dr.

Unread 02-25-2006, 09:42 PM
Can't ask my Dr.

I'm too embaressed to ask my Dr. so here goes: I don't understand why they shaved me completely between my legs when I had a TAH? Also, I have deep religious convictions about being exposed to a man, other than my husband, which is why my Dr.'s are all women. However, after I got to the hospital, we discovered that my anesthesiologist was a male. Now I'm concerned about how exposed I was to him during my TAH. Please help me with these issues. Thank you so much for your support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2006, 09:56 PM
Can't ask my Dr.

Hi liljet and

We're happy you joined the Hystersisters community! I hope that post-hyst life is treating you well!

I doubt that the anesthesiologist glimpsed any of your lower abdominal region, since their job doesn't involve the incision area. As far as the shaving is concerned, it may be that the pre-surgical instructions were simply to "shave the region" without getting into a more defined area. Please don't concern yourself with this...the important thing is that your surgery was a success and that you are recovering without complications.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Unread 02-25-2006, 10:55 PM
Can't ask my Dr.

They shave just for sanitary reasons. I would not worry either about the anethesiologist seeing you. I am sure he was busy checking your pulse, heartrate , etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2006, 11:36 PM
Can't ask my Dr.

Hello Liljet,

I agree with the other sisters. The anesthesiologist is at the head of the bed and is concerned with what his requirements are as a physician. His job is so important for the success of your surgery that I don't believe he was paying attention to anything but what he was supposed to be doing (which doesn't include anything below your waist line!) :-)

Please be at peace. You haven't been violated at all.
Unread 02-26-2006, 02:45 AM
Can't ask my Dr.

I always consider the anesthesiologist the most important person in the room. Their main concern is keeping an eye on my vitals not the surgery itself.

I recently found out that a second surgeon assisted my surgeon. I only found out when I was billed for his time. I knew that the resident was going to be in the room but this guy was a surprise. My husband had mentioned another doctor coming into the waiting room who was well known for the procedure I had (LSH). I confirmed the name with him. I just don't know why the second surgeon was there or why my surgeon didn't mention him.

I can't tell you how to feel about the conflict of your beliefs and modern medicine. I just know that most, if not all, of us are not thrilled to be exposed in this way yet we understand that our health is more important than our emotional discomfort of exposure of this very personal part of our bodies to our caregivers.

I think how much you are shaved is doctor preference. It could also be how the nurse was trained to do it. Just a guess. I was only shaved where my incisions were made for my LSH.
Unread 02-26-2006, 02:55 AM
Can't ask my Dr.

Its merely a body part to Dr's, nurse's, and anyone else in the health care field who was responsible for your care.
Re: why you were shaved in the vaginal area, thats a question to ask your DR since she is the only one who can answer that question w/o guessing.

dont worry, its just a job to those that were caring for you, nothing more.

diana
Unread 02-26-2006, 05:01 AM
Can't ask my Dr.

I agree with all the other sisters! It really is an important job that the anesthesiaologist(spelling?) stay at your head and monitor your vitals. As for anyone in this medical profession---Its there job and Im sure they do not think twice about seeing you. They see it every day! About the shaving probably just how they do it there for that type of surgery!
Unread 02-26-2006, 05:19 AM
Can't ask my Dr.

You are actually draped over your entire body with exposure only in the area of the surgery. There is usually a curtain-like drape at your neck area and the anesthesiologist sits behind that area so I think you can put your mind to rest (I work in the operating room).
Please feel better now......
Unread 02-26-2006, 05:42 AM
Can't ask my Dr.

Hi, the shaving of the perineal area is a preference of individual surgeons. Many times it is done for the removal of excess bacteria and hair, and there is a catheter placed to deflate and minimize the bladder for TAH. I had TAH, and a catheter, but was only shaved on the top at the pubic bone area, not below, They do a betadine or other antiseptic scrub to disinfect, as well, shave or not shave.
Also, be assured the anesthesiologist is planted at the head beside the monitors, and oxygen and Iv controls. Your vitals and heart rate and rhythm are his job to carefully assess. I guarantee he saw nothing in the surgical field..
Good luck, the darn hairs can be itchy when they grow back.
Unread 02-26-2006, 07:09 PM
Thanks

Thanks so much for all the support and consideration. You've all been so helpful and understanding.

Elaine

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register