What to expect when I wake up? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What to expect when I wake up? What to expect when I wake up?

Unread 12-15-2008, 05:18 PM
What to expect when I wake up?

Hi ,

I am having a hopefully keyhole & vaginal hyst next monday, I have PCOS & Endo and cancer cells in my largest cyst and on my cervix, so I am looking forward to the a life without the constant dragging pains, discomfort and fear.

My consultant says he will try and avoid an abdo surgery but may have to. I am worried about how I will feel when I wake up and in hospital and the first few days, when I am home.

I am lucky to have friends and family who will visit but on the whole Iwill be on my own at home.

Any tips about how to prepare, what to expect and how I may feel immediately post op would be much appreciated

Thanks

Jane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2008, 06:13 PM

Immediately post op I felt great because of the morphine pump! That was the best I felt for about a week!!
I would say whatever food you think you may want to eat stock up while you can move and pick things up! I got a bunch of the soup in a hand and ginger ale and jello and tapioca (sp?) and spagghetti O's. Also my mom mailed me a bunch of movies (walmart they were 5 bucks!) thoses were really helpful! I had a tv tray set up by the couch with my pills water or ginger ale and somthing to munch on like jello, with a comfy pillow and blanket..oh and of course the remotes, and the chapstick! Good Luck!
Unread 12-15-2008, 06:36 PM

When I woke up, I was in pain. I was crying because the morphine pump wasnt enough. I have a VERY high tolerance for pain. But, once I got some toradol added into my mix, I was almost pain free. Then I remember having to pee, REALLY REALLY bad. Once I was finally able to go, it was smooth sailing from there! I was up walking and taking myself to the potty by myself all night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2008, 10:35 PM
lookingforasis

Just curious, what is toradol?
Thanks,

Kara
Unread 12-16-2008, 09:44 AM

I haven't had my TAH yet (2/9/09), but I have had surgery for a ruptured ectopic pregnancy, with a bikini incision and 6 weeks recovery.

What I remember from waking up is - where is that MACK truck that just hit me??!! I felt absolutely horrible! I am in no way saying you will feel like this, because everyone is different, but just letting you know how I felt.

I hope you have a much better experience!
Unread 12-16-2008, 10:13 AM

Things you will want to have at home: Pick up tool (you will drop something), shower bench (I only used it twice but needed it then), Electric blanket (I could not get warm & this saved me), Gas-X (I wish I would have taken this the second I got home), Prep-H incase, vagisil if dry, & cranberry juice (for if you bladder is in shock). I made little bags of crakers & put them in a little basket with my meds so I could keep everything with me. You will feel a little better each day. That is not just a saying, it is the truth. Best wishes.
Unread 12-16-2008, 12:57 PM

How I felt? I just remember thinking "I just had major surgery". I was very sleepy. They took me right up to my room which I barely remember much of the whole experience. I kept waking up every couple hours and hitting the button of the pump. Beware though, that can make you sick the next morning.

Things to have on hand also would be pads. I'm still spotting 8 weeks out.

You'll be surprised at how quickly time will pass.

Good luck to all!
Unread 12-16-2008, 01:01 PM
toradol

Kara,
Toradol is an IV pain med that is about 10X as strong as morphine. It is used when the morphine is not quite enough.
Indigo
Unread 12-16-2008, 01:33 PM

Toradol was a life/sanity saver post-op and having an epidural helped as well, although the transition to oral pain meds was rough. I woke up quite clear headed and stayed awake to chat with visitors and eat regular food well into early evening after reaching my room around 3 or 4pm. I was TERRIFIED before my surgery, but the entire hospital team was a blessing and a dream. I would have someone stay with you in the hospital that first night or two until you get your bearings. Do NOT be afraid to manage your pain in such a way that you can be walking and talking without feeling like you are in any level of agony--I made that mistake, but have since learned that pain management is key to a good recovery
Unread 12-17-2008, 03:12 AM

I woke up in pain, but the most effective solution to that is to say "PAIN!!!". the nurse sitting next to me in recovery was very quick to administer extra pain relief and that sorted the problem. Just as an aside, the next day when the morphine drip was removed I found the pain relief from the oral meds was not enough. After an episode of crying in the bathroom to avoid embarrassment with my roomies I decided this was not what my Dr wanted and went to the nurses station and asked they call my Dr. After a nurse refusing me pain meds for hours, suddenly a morphine injection appeared.... my Dr never received a phone call . What I learnt is, if you have pain, they can fix it, but you may need to be assertive. This was in a reputable private hospital, just one particular nurse who decided she knew best.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register