4 weeks post hysterectomy (LAVH), localized pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 weeks post hysterectomy (LAVH), localized pain 4 weeks post hysterectomy (LAVH), localized pain

Unread 06-16-2016, 09:32 PM
4 weeks post hysterectomy (LAVH), localized pain

Hello, :new

I will be four weeks post op tomorrow, and I could use some advice. I am on flagyl currently for an infection that was discovered three days ago. After only two antibiotic piles, my pain decreased and I stopped spotting for the first time since surgery.

Aside from that, my pain has been worse on my left side this entire recovery. By the way, only uterus and cervix were taken. Today, however, I really started noticing a very localized pain just under and to the left of my belly button. It is away from any incisions, so I know it is not related to those. It feels very deep and tender to the touch. I am not in what I would call severe pain, but enough that it makes me wince if I accidentally bump it, bend certain ways, or press it. I have had pain there all along, but I never noticed it as localized to one little spot as today.

Any ideas as to what it could be? Does it warrant investigation?

Thanks so much ladies. This is a fantastic site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2016, 09:56 PM
Re: 4 weeks post LAVH, localized pain

I am 3 weeks post opp don't know if I'll help but they took my cervix uterus and right ovary had abdominal surgery Dr told me the swelly belly will go down but the numbness is on my left side down half the vagina she said eventually it will come back but every now and then it feels like a sharp pain in my ovary don't know what that is sometimes it's unbearable I don't have a Dr appt for another 5 weeks I'm still stiches on inside I don't know

.hope I helped at all

Get better
Mary
Unread 06-17-2016, 05:07 AM
Re: 4 weeks post hysterectomy (LAVH), localized pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zentangle View Post
Aside from that, my pain has been worse on my left side this entire recovery. By the way, only uterus and cervix were taken. Today, however, I really started noticing a very localized pain just under and to the left of my belly button. It is away from any incisions, so I know it is not related to those. It feels very deep and tender to the touch. I am not in what I would call severe pain, but enough that it makes me wince if I accidentally bump it, bend certain ways, or press it. I have had pain there all along, but I never noticed it as localized to one little spot as today.

Any ideas as to what it could be? Does it warrant investigation?

Thanks so much ladies. This is a fantastic site!

and welcome! Isn't it great to finally say "4 weeks post-op" ?! Mine was just this past Monday.

Interesting how you describe that localized pain. I've had a similar pain which I've noticed since around day 10 when I had my first post-op appointment - may have had it earlier but didn't notice it with the other jabs I felt. I had laparoscopic surgery as well, my uterus was removed through an additional incision just above my belly button. The affected spot is between my left incision and belly button - to the lower left of the latter - and like yours, it's d-e-e-p. Feels more like a bruise than anything, and similarly, I notice it if I press it (or bump it!) a certain way. The skin above it is numb, which is how I know where to look for it. There's no mass or hard spot, which is good. At my final post-op appointment on Tuesday, doc says I'm healing fine, noticed nothing to raise alarm bells. I asked him about the spot, he indicated it was probably a deep bruise from the surgery, not to be concerned about it, and it should eventually heal. During surgery they poke those scopes and tubes in pretty deep and at an angle - if you're not too squeamish, look up some photos of your type of surgery.

Slightly off topic, you'll find a recovery thread for women who had their surgeries from May 16-May 22 here. Come join us!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2016, 07:25 AM

Mary, I am sorry to hear about your pain. I think, for me, the worst part of this type of pain is not knowing where it is coming from. Don't you wish they scheduled doctors appointments post hysterectomy every week or two for a while so that we can bring in all our questions/concerns? Feel better soon!

Cusette, thank you for the warm welcome! I did not know about the thread that has similar surgery dates. Will certainly check it out!

Yes, so excited to be past the four week Mark, but at the same time, i am getting bummed out because of the issues I am having. I guess I just expected to be further along in recovery by now.

I am sorry to hear about your pain-- sounds very similar. But I am glad to hear that your doctor didn't think it warranted concern. I don't have my final post op until 6 weeks.

Have you had an elevated temp, by the way? My temperature is normally very low (97.7). I never run real fevers. For example, when I had a double infection of flu and strep over the winter, my temp never went above 99, so I know that when my temp reaches the norm of 98.6, I feel feverish and something is not right. Over the past week or so, my temp has been riding high, but it is normal for most people. The problem is that doctors don't seem to listen to me because they don't consider those temps elevated!
Unread 06-17-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zentangle View Post
I am sorry to hear about your pain-- sounds very similar. But I am glad to hear that your doctor didn't think it warranted concern. I don't have my final post op until 6 weeks.

Have you had an elevated temp, by the way? My temperature is normally very low (97.7). I never run real fevers. For example, when I had a double infection of flu and strep over the winter, my temp never went above 99, so I know that when my temp reaches the norm of 98.6, I feel feverish and something is not right. Over the past week or so, my temp has been riding high, but it is normal for most people. The problem is that doctors don't seem to listen to me because they don't consider those temps elevated!

Thanks, fortunately my pain is not bad. Just annoyingly... there, yanno ?!

I've not had an elevated temperature with any of the post-op pains I've dealt with. (Had some night time digestive woes that probably spiked my temperature, but I didn't take my temp at that point.) If it's any comfort, I found some online references stating norms are anywhere from 97º to 99º and that it's not unusual for temps to vary 1º throughout the day (my norm is 98.2º). Gee, sounds like stepping on the scales! Anyhoo, could it be that your ovaries are kicking in some hormones, perhaps? We're all out of whack right now and sometimes our ovaries aren't fully awake yet.

I guess the best thing to do is keep an eye on other symptoms - like hard or warm spots around your surgical area, how you're urinating (any burning or frequent urges), vaginal issues (changing discharges or an itchy feeling) - which might indicate an infection.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register