Am I doing the right thing? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Am I doing the right thing? Am I doing the right thing?

Unread 02-22-2014, 11:21 AM
Am I doing the right thing?

im 27 have 3 children irregular periods fam history of cancer high risk HPV 8yrs bad paps colposcopies & biopsies 2 misscarraiges preterm labor & 5mos bedrest w last baby due 2 friable cervix. Now i have prolapse of uterus/cervix & rectocele requiring me 2 (pardon the TMI) push my BMs out by pushing on the wall of my vagina w hand due 2 rectum caving into vagina. Its very uncomfortable. My last 2 paps were normal but ive had irregular/heavy periods. The PA i saw 1st said "u should jst have this all out" so i went 2 a gyno in the meantime discovered 6cm growth on left ovary took BC & it shrunk (cyst?) prolapse makes sex out of the question & very painful. Im done having kids (cervix wont hold up) & am desperate 2 b w my husband again. Gyno suggested TVA. Now reading ur posts im worried hes jumping the gun. He didnt discuss pos fallout from hysterectomy & will leave my ovaries if healthy. Ive only met him twice. Surgery on wed! Am i doin the right thing? & how will it effect me long term?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2014, 08:09 PM
Re: Am I doing the right thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarMilne View Post
irregular periods fam history of cancer high risk HPV 8yrs bad paps colposcopies & biopsies 2 misscarraiges preterm labor & 5mos bedrest w last baby due 2 friable cervix. Now i have prolapse of uterus/cervix & rectocele requiring me 2 (pardon the TMI) push my BMs out by pushing on the wall of my vagina w hand due 2 rectum caving into vagina.
Dear MarMilne:

It certainly sounds like you have plenty of issues that could warrant a hysterectomy Have you had a 2nd or 3rd medical opinion? That may help you to be more confident in your treatment plan.

I hope you are able to find the right answers soon. I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 02-23-2014, 08:26 PM

Its such a hard decision to make I know. It took me months to decide on doing the hysterectomy and prolapse surgery. I also had a Posterior prolapse and had to do the same thing to have a bowl movement, its embarrassing. I decided to do both surgeries at the same time. I am so glad I did. I had no major complications, I had got very sick after stopping the anti nausea medication and ended up bleeding from the vomiting but other then that the pain for me was well controlled with pain meds, I was only on them for 4 maybe 5 days. I had no pain or discomfort at all from the prolapse surgery, that's the one I was scared of the most. I had some pain from the hysterectomy when I would stand up, but not bad at all. I look back now and wish I would have done it sooner. I was in severe pain before the surgery and life is so much better afterwords and pain free. No periods is a plus... Sex is different afterwords, not bad just different. Its been 1 year and 3 months since the surgery and I have no regrets...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2014, 09:11 PM

I just had a TVH 9 wks ago. I didn't even think to mention my bowel issues to my doctor as the bleeding was so bad from the fibroid in my uterus! I also have to push sometimes to help get things going. I wish I'd known about this site when I was considering my options. It's so helpful and provides so much information!!! I'm very happy with my decision to do the TVH!
Unread 02-24-2014, 09:36 AM

thanks... After hours of prayerful thought ive decided 2 go ahead w the surgery. Intelectually in my mind i know its what needs 2 b done Not only 4 myself & my own health but more importantly 4 my dear sweet patient & supportive husband & my 3 sweet young children who deserve 2 have their mommy out of pain & out of bed & back 2 being fun & energetic. My heart is aching @ the thought of losing the piece of me that carried my babies & all i had left of the 2 i lost. But with time i know my heart will heal & accept what my brain knows is best. I do know i cant continue on like this. I want my life & body back & my husband wants his wife My babies need thier mommy. If i focus on the why instead of the what I can make it thru. Im very emotional & i know i will lose it on wed. But. My mom, dad, husband & even my dearly treasured pastor will b there w me holding my hand & praying 4 me. Its so nice 2 have the women on here. I have a strong support system but none of them understand the emotional side. God bless u all

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register