LAVH Painful menstrual cramps versus post-op pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Painful menstrual cramps versus post-op pain Painful menstrual cramps versus post-op pain

Unread 12-09-2015, 06:17 PM
Painful menstrual cramps versus post-op pain

Just curious - I have had painful menstrual cramps my entire life. I would have cramps so bad I would actually have to breath through them. Because my cramps have been so painful, I'm wondering if that is why my post-op pain doesn't seem so bad? Right now I feel like I've done 10,000 crunches (about 36 hrs post-op), but that's it.

Amy one else want to chime in with their experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2015, 07:44 PM
Re: Painful menstrual cramps versus post-op pain

My periods were far worse than post op pain and aches, many others might tell you the same.
Unread 12-09-2015, 09:20 PM

I am 6 days post op, and my recovery pain doesn't even come close to touching the amount and type of pain I was in before surgery. I am thankful for that! If I continue on this path, this pain will never be anywhere near as bad as that pain I would get monthly, and then eventually keep all of the time for the last 6 months.

Glad to hear you're feeling well also!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2015, 05:04 AM

Same for me :-)
Unread 12-10-2015, 03:43 PM

I felt exactly like you described! It felt like I had done an ab workout but no pain!
Unread 12-10-2015, 04:08 PM

LOL, that's exactly how I described it, like I had done 1000 situps! And no, it was nothing compared to the menstrual cramps. Mine were so debilitating I'd lay on the floor in pain. After surgery, it was more of a "surgical soreness." It got a little better every day, the worst being from coughing and laughing, but so much better than the menstrual cramps it was hard to believe I lived through them all those years.
Unread 12-10-2015, 04:25 PM

So funny! When I woke up from surgery, I was on morphine and it felt like a REALLY BAD period. The day after felt like I had done 400 crunches. I told the nurses I didn't take morphine after 400 crunches
Unread 12-10-2015, 06:29 PM

My pain level after surgery was very minimal. I was on hydrocodone for the first 2 days (2 per day), then tramadol for the next 2 days, and then ibuprofen for 2 weeks (mostly for the swelling). It was nothing compared to what I had been experiencing before. As for my pre-surgery menstrual cramps - oh good grief! It's "good" to read that others had the same issues. I used the copper IUD as birth control, so my cycle was pretty regular. I had to start taking 800mg ibuprofen every 4-6 hours about a week before my period started throughout the week of my period in order to somewhat function. I had to leave work numerous times because I was simply in too much pain, and the only thing that helped was lying in bed. I am sooooooooo glad that this is over! My pathology report noted that I had Adenomyosis, and after reading about it, I now know why I was in so much pain.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register