Perhaps a dumb question - any eyesight changes after hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Perhaps a dumb question - any eyesight changes after hysterectomy? Perhaps a dumb question - any eyesight changes after hysterectomy?

Unread 12-25-2016, 01:01 PM
Perhaps a dumb question - any eyesight changes after hysterectomy?

I received a check this Christmas from a family member with the explanation that I'd been talking about getting new glasses and since that person couldn't buy them for me, they'd like to cover the cost.

Very sweet.

My question is, has anyone experienced a change in eyesight as an aftereffect of the surgery? I'm not expecting my ovaries to be removed, but I do have fibroids and I've read that they affect hormones. I don't want to spend $400 on new glasses only to have my prescription change again in a couple of months - especially not knowing the other medical costs that might appear with the surgery.

Is this a thing that happens or am I worried about nothing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-25-2016, 02:00 PM
Re: Perhaps a dumb question - any eyesight changes?

I wear glasses/contacts - can't see a darn thing without 'em - and noticed no changes after my 15+ fibroids were taken with Ol' Lumpy (I kept my ovaries, and still get benefits in my 50s from them). The only thing I've read around here is that some Sisters experience blurry vision post-op which could be due to anesthesia, meds post-op or positioning during surgery which could dry the corneas a bit. So no, it's not a dumb question at all. Here's a link on Blurry Vision Post-Op.

Do you have a date for your surgery? If you want to be sure, you can wait a month or two after your hysterectomy. But seriously, if your date is "sometime in 2017" and you need new specs, I'd spring for them. It's annoying to live with an inadequate prescription and doing so can cause headaches and eyestrain.

Unread 12-25-2016, 03:15 PM

Thanks Cussette. I have a tentative date of February 3, but they tell me they're trying to move it up. It can't be soon enough for me. I'm bleeding constantly. Last night I took the last active pill of my second cycle of BCP and today I'm bleeding moderately heavy and passing clots. My doctor told me to skip the inactive pills from now on so I'm curious to see if the bleeding slows down or if I end up having more problems before the date. Naturally, it's Christmas and tomorrow is a holiday, so they're not in the office.

Regardless - I think I may wait on the glasses. Maybe it'll be my post-hyst gift. My current prescription isn't bad, the glasses are just old and some areas are looking worn when I look closely.

Thanks for answering!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-25-2016, 03:35 PM

I'm like Cussette - I didn't notice any vision changes myself, but I've heard other women complaining about blurry vision post-op.

I've been extremely nearsighted my entire life, had to get bifocals about the time I hit 50 and then was diagnosed with a cataract in one eye. In fact, my cataract surgery was three months before my hysterectomy. This meant that about a month and half before my hysterectomy, I had to get (and pay for) a new lens in glasses for the operative eye. I would have been rather upset if the hysterectomy had caused any vision changes, but it didn't. :-)
Unread 12-26-2016, 07:45 AM
Perhaps a dumb question - any eyesight changes after hysterectomy?

Hi there! It did happen to me! I had my eyes checked in February but fortunately did not get new glasses at that time, TAH BOS in July and within weeks my eyesight changed! Just got rechecked 3 weeks ago and stigma and near-sightedness changed - needed new prescription and thank goodness for Costco vision... can see once again! Crazy how fast that changed! Best wishes sisters and Happy New Year!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register