Does Ovulation stop after a hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Does Ovulation stop after a hysterectomy Does Ovulation stop after a hysterectomy

Unread 07-13-2006, 06:10 AM
Does Ovulation stop after a hysterectomy

I know it's a stupid question but who else could I ask but my hystersisters? Does ovulation stop after a hysterectomy because the menstrual cycle stops?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-13-2006, 06:17 AM

Sometimes the ovaries go into shock for a brief period following a hyster but will generally start back with ovaulation within a few weeks maybe months following the surgery. Mine shut down for about 6 weeks, then started back up. After my RSO the left ovary took over ovulation every month within 2 weeks following the surgery. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Nancy
Unread 07-13-2006, 06:19 AM

Naw. Thanks for the answer. Now I have another question. Because I no longer have a uterus, where do the eggs go?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-13-2006, 06:19 AM

No ovaries or fallopian tubes here.
Unread 07-13-2006, 06:56 AM

the eggs don't make it to the fallopian tubes each month anyway..otherwise there would be way more children in the world. your body has been re-absorbing those eggs for years. now it will simply re-absorb all the eggs you produce. :-) hope that helps. (i had the same question...had a vision of the poor egg making it to the fallopian tube, sliding down the tube like a water slide....wheeee...and getting to end wondering where the big cushy thing was it heard so much about! yes, i have too active an imagination!)

if you have no ovaries, no ovulation.
Unread 07-13-2006, 07:14 AM

[quote=newyorkgal]the eggs don't make it to the fallopian tubes each month anyway..otherwise there would be way more children in the world.

I'm glad about that. Whew!

I was thinking about ecoptic pregnancy since I kept one of my ovaries and tube so I was thinking the egg made it to the fallopian tube, but if it doesn't even make it to the tube I have no problem.
Unread 07-31-2006, 07:45 AM

I am so glad someone asked this question. I am 3 mo post op and have had lower back and abdominal pain for about a week now. I even had spotting for about a two days. I called my doctor and was told that since I have my ovaries the pain is probably from ovulating! Blah! No real answer about the bleeding. Just to watch and make sure it doesn't increase. However, I am still concerned about this ovualtion thing. The doc said if I had pain with ovualtion BEFORE the surgery I will most likely continue to have it. WHAT IS THAT ABOUT? Anyone have any similar situations????? Especially the bleeding!!!
Unread 07-31-2006, 08:19 AM

if you still have your cervix, you may be having mini-periods. there is no way to make a clean cut between the cervix and the uterus so some uterine cells remain behind. some of the women who still have their cervix, get mini-periods so this may be what you are experiencing. otherwise, i've got no guess.
Unread 07-31-2006, 01:12 PM

Nope, no cervix! hmmmm I don't know either. I do know that I experienced the back and abdominal pain a few days after a vigorous walk but I had done this numberous times before. I will just have to wait this out. I just don't like the lower back pain, motrin doesn't seem to be doing anything for it. Maybe I need a chiropractor!!!
Thanks
Unread 07-31-2006, 01:44 PM

I always had pain with ovulation and bleeding. No bleeding now at all ever. Still pain w/ovulation.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register