Migrains after TAH - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Migrains after TAH Migrains after TAH

Unread 02-23-2012, 10:01 AM
Re: Migrains after TAH

As I was going in for my surgery Tuesday, I talked to my doctor about my migraines because my period was trying to start and my head was throbbing. I kept my ovaries so he said that that influence on the migraines will remain as I continue to cycle through (I'm 44). But, he said because the uterus is gone, the reduction in prostaglandin from it might make my migraines a little more tolerable. I'll have to wait and see. It would be nice if that wasn't so bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2012, 01:46 PM

I was told my older sister would go to the emergency room for headaches (not sure how often) and after she had her hysterectomny and removal of both ovaries this past summer, she has not made an emergency room visit. I don't believer she is taking HRT.

I have lived with migraine headaches basically my entire life. About 13 years ago a doctor put me on a low level beta blocker because of my history of migraines and slightly elevated blood pressure. I still get migraines from time to time, but they are not as severe as in the past or as frequent.

Good luck to you sister.
Unread 02-23-2012, 07:05 PM

I had tried a beta blocker about 12 years ago but because my blood pressure is always on the low side (and was at 90/55 while on propranolol), I couldn't use enough of the medication to get enough benefit with my migraines. And I felt like I was in a haze for the 6 weeks I was on it. I'll find out soon enough whether the hysterectomy has helped at all, but that would really be just an added bonus after having to give everything up for cervical cancer. I guess I can wait a few more years for menopause...I remember getting my first migraines at 8 years old, so they've been a fact of life for almost as long as I can remember.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myteacher View Post
Do you mind if I ask if you are taking estrogen? I am 3 1/2 weeks post-op and still having migraines. I am on estrogen. My dose was cut in half after the first 3 migraines. I have a long history of migraines, most being menstrual migraines. I was really hoping to be rid of these migraines after having everything removed.
Thanks.
I am taking oral estrogen - 0.5 mg - estradiol. It is a bio-identical hormone. My migraines tended to happen around my period, especially if I hit the right stress factors at the right time. They were especially bad when I was in my teens, 20s and 30's (I am 46 now). The were starting to subside some in my early 40's. Now everything is gone, but I still get them - however at a much diminished frequency.

Talk to your doctor. Maybe addition adjustments will help...

(((Hugs)))

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register