Depression before and after | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Depression before and after Depression before and after

Unread 07-03-2011, 04:04 PM
Depression before and after

I wasn't quite sure where to post this question. My surgery is scheduled for 7/26. I have struggled with depression most of my life. As a matter of fact, I have just spent the last few months in the worst depression of my life. I am concerned about my depression post-surgery. Is it going to be worse? Any advice or suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-03-2011, 04:28 PM
Re: Depression before and after

I don't think you will feel any worse it might change you hormonally. But I would suggest for you to seek professional help as well. But remember this website is a true god-sent and you will have so much support.

Good Luck and keep me and the other sister posted.
Unread 07-03-2011, 04:29 PM

I can only speak for myself... I have never been depressed before however since my lavh I have cried and been upset for 5 days. They said once the hormones get leveled in my body I should be better but you really should discuss this in depth with your dr. good luck!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-03-2011, 04:45 PM

I haven't experienced depression, however, a few close members of my family struggle with it. One family member did not let anyone (family and doctors) know that she was having difficulty with it after her hysterectomy and we are now living with permanent repercussions from her not asking for help. My advice to you is that if you feel you are going down that road again, please let your family and your doctors know. Depression after a hysterectomy can be caused from something as simple as a hormone imbalance and with help from your doctor, that can be resolved with time. My heart goes out to you and I wish you the best with your surgery and recovery.
Unread 07-03-2011, 04:55 PM

Thanks to all of you for your kind words and support. It means a lot. I will keep you posted.
Unread 07-03-2011, 05:26 PM

i was so busy cooking meals befoerhand and organizing everything for my small 4 children for my surgery on 7-5 that I was so stressed. I had no time to be sad, but insurance cancelled my surgery due to lack of good mediacl cause to allow the surgery. I have been depressed since they cancelled it cause I don't see how they can let someone bleed and be in pain. all I wnat is to be able to be normal and not be in pain. I want to exercise and etc..!!
Unread 07-03-2011, 05:50 PM

squirrellychick

I had very low grade anxiety and depression for years that was handled through talk therapy and no drugs.

The stress of a cancer diagnosis and surgical menopause caused enough changes to throw me into clincial depression.

I would talk to your surgeon and who ever is treating you for your depression about what is going on. That way if either you or they see signs you can get treatment right away.

There are many here who have had surgery and have had depression and all went well.

as you prepare for your surgery.
Unread 07-04-2011, 10:25 AM

I have suffered from depression off and on all of my life but for the past 10 years or so, it's been manageable.

However, after surgery I really changed in ways I didn't expect or even realize until after I was past it.

For example, my self-esteem went down as well as my self-confidence. I think that was due, in part, to the physical fatigue I have felt since surgery. Feeling more tired leads to doing less and therefore feeling less productive which is a big downer for me.

I also dealt with a lot of time on my hands after surgery that I wasn't used to so I had more time to think and worry which led to a form of depression.

I don't know if I could have prepared for this even if someone had told me it was going to happen. Looking back, I realized that my hormone levels must have contributed as well but my doc didn't want me to take HRT so I muddled through and it wasn't too bad.

The most important thing you can do is just be aware of the possibility of changes and not let it get out of control. Make sure you speak out about how you are feeling and maybe ask someone close to you to be on the lookout as well. Therapy, anti-depressants, hormones....whatever you need can help so there's no reason to suffer.

I wish you all the best!
Unread 07-04-2011, 11:12 AM

This is a heated topic for me as I suffer the same as you. It sounds like people who don't suffer can't comprehend it. They just can't. We can't be mad at them just accept it. Get well medicated before and stay that way for a long time after healing. That is what I'm going to do. You are smart to worry about this but very few will understand I'm realizing. Please keep me posted as this will be my road shortly as well. My mom did not have a hyst but should have. She went pretty much went insane during her change. It was the scarriest, most miserable thing I've ever experienced! She told me I was worthless for many year yelling it at the top her lungs. So this is a real concern.
Unread 07-04-2011, 12:02 PM

I just thought of a few more things that have helped me with depression. I got rid of coffee. I know that sounds hard, but it has helped. I also dropped 16 pounds. I want to drop 20 more. I also decided not to volunteer for anything I don't want to this year. That has been the biggest weight off my shoulders. I was doing a very stressful job at church and helping a very nonunderstanding teacher at my kid's school. No more. I'm still going to do some, but not that. What has helped you so far through this? Glad to finds someone to share this with.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register