when can i start running again? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

when can i start running again? when can i start running again?

Unread 08-27-2013, 09:48 PM
when can i start running again?

I am about 2 1/2 weeks post hyst. It was done using the Davinci and Dr. removed uterus and cervix, left ovaries. At my 2 week check up Dr. wasn't too happy that I had started walking about 2 miles for a couple of days. He said I was going too fast and needed to slow down as my body needs time to heal as it was a major surgery. I've been back to work for a week and a half and slowly getting back into the routine of things. I have had plenty of help with housework but call me crazy, I just want to be able to grab the vacuum myself instead of having to ask all the time. Just really anxious to get back to normal, but don't want to overdo and screw anything up. I'm trying to hold off for the 6 week mark when I go back to doctor for checkup, but not sure if I'll be able to make it. Have most of you waited the 6 weeks???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2013, 10:01 PM
Re: when can i start running again?

My dr said 4 weeks before I can start exercising. Being back to normal may take longer than you want. It take up to a year to be 100%.
Unread 08-27-2013, 10:34 PM

I had my two week post op yesterday and my Doc said basically if I'm comfortable with it to do it in terms of exercise . I was walking about 6 miles a day before the surgery so he has released me to start walking . If it starts to twinge or hurt I'll slew down but until then I'll be out every day until I go back to work so I can build my strength as I stand all day .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2013, 10:43 PM

Because I have had blood clots in the past, I was encouraged to start walking immediately, but to keep it light. I was told ABSOLUTELY no running, pushups, situps or aerobics till after the 6 week checkup, which is not until nearly mid-September. You do have to take it slowly, because not only is it a major surgery, but the interal organs need time to heal from the bruising and realignment from the removal of other parts.
I am chomping at the bit as well, but I don't want to end up needing additional surgery to correct my foulups...I can't afford it.
Your doctor gave you instructions for a reason...even going back to work after just 2 weeks seems very premature. When my doctor and I were discussing DaVinci vs Lapro, he said he recommends a minimum of 4 weeks w/ DaVinci, unless you have a completely sedentary job ( I don't. I work in a factory and it's very labor intensive).
Call your doctor, he is the one who can best advise you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register