When is a good time to start exercise after hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When is a good time to start exercise after hysterectomy When is a good time to start exercise after hysterectomy

Unread 10-07-2016, 10:02 PM
When is a good time to start exercise after hysterectomy

I am 5 weeks into my recovery. I'm not sure when is a relatively safe time to start exercise to what extent i should exercise. walking, jogging, crunches?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-08-2016, 01:42 AM
Re: When is a good time to start exercise after surgery

My doctor cleared me for exercise at 6 weeks.
Unread 10-08-2016, 01:44 AM
When is a good time to start exercise after hysterectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabeccashu View Post
I am 5 weeks into my recovery. I'm not sure when is a relatively safe time to start exercise to what extent i should exercise. walking, jogging, crunches?
Hi, Walking. Do some walking on flat surfaces, hydrate well rest & repeat later if youre up for it.. Its best to break up activities vs doing all at once. You dont want to over do it...I would do an activity in Am, rest, walk then everytime I got up to bathroom or kitchen Id walk, rest, repeat. So I kept doing some form of walking breaking it up thru the day..

As for any other forms of exercise or activities, youll need to see your Dr & have restrictions lifted. I had a 6 week follow up appt w my Dr & restrictions lifted. Healing continues for months past the time restrictions are lifted. Ni way was I up for doing crunches at 6 weeks. Walking, then once cleared swimming, restorative exercises, pre & post natal, Barre, Yoga, light weights, low impact.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-08-2016, 06:20 AM
Re: When is a good time to start exercise after hysterectomy

Walking you could have been doing since the very beginning of your recovery. If you haven't been walking, I would start with that first, walking until you start to get tired, resting and then walking more later if you can. For other exercises, you should check with your dr to be sure.
Unread 10-08-2016, 06:45 AM

I'm 10 weeks post op and have finally been cleared to go back to the gym I can't wait. My dr told me to take it easy at first and I'm not allowed to do any core work yet.
Unread 10-08-2016, 08:57 AM

Walking definitely, and you can start now. Probably not crunches or jogging .

My personal experience: I was cleared at 4 weeks to start resuming all activities, but doc said to ramp up gradually (ie. no swinging from the chandeliers, his words). At 4 weeks, I could still feel pulls and tugs, and even a quick pace up and down stairs was very uncomfortable. Around 6 weeks, I began with FitnessBlenders' Post Abdominal Surgery workout and Beginner Pilates workout which have some very basic non-strenuous moves which are perfect for starting that back up, no crunches (find Fitness Blender on its own website or YouTube). At 7 weeks I resumed my weekly cardio class and kept it low-impact - without hops or jumps because bouncing still caused twinges, and no abs-crunches. At 8 weeks I started interval runs - 3 mins running then 3 mins walking, and my running was sort of a shuffle to minimize the bouncing. It worked. At 4 months, I'm back to running properly for 3 miles with no walking, and back to abs workouts with no zingers or twinges.

Best thing when you resume... listen to what your body is telling you. When you hit a limitation, stop rather than push it beyond. It's hard for those of us who like to push ourselves, but that will eventually be possible again.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register