adenomyosis with no pain?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

adenomyosis with no pain?? adenomyosis with no pain??

Unread 04-29-2007, 08:55 PM
adenomyosis with no pain??

Hi ladies,

I am having a total hysterectomy on May 16th b/c of prolonged cycles (11-16 days). Had an ultrasound, pelvic exams, etc., dr. saw nothing unusual. Tried a
D & C and also birth control pills to try and reduce length and amt. of bleeding.... neither worked. My dr. said it could be adenomyosis but they wouldn't know for sure until after they went in and did the surgery. Most of you that have mentioned you have adenomyosis have said that pain accompanies it.... but I have no pain at all..... just prolonged cycles and bleeding. Could it actually be that or something else? I know you all aren't doctors, but I just wanted some opinions. Thx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2007, 09:31 PM

Hi Elisabeth! Your story sounds just like mine. I don't reallly have any answers for you, but I am off to see my doctor Tuesday and full of questions. Good luck with your surgery!
Hugs,
Kristy
Unread 04-29-2007, 09:42 PM

I did have adeno and I did have alot of pain....but everyone is different and the prolonged bleeding sure could be one of the symptoms.
My surgery was March 15, 07....I go back to work tomorrow and so far I have had no problems at all and am feeling great. I am getting in the lap pool for the first time since surgery on Tuesday....I can't wait!!Best decision I could have made was to go ahead with hyster...I had TVH left my ovaries because they looked good and work properly!
Best wishes and a speedy recovery to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2007, 04:32 PM

I did not have adeno, but my understanding is that it usually does involve some pain. Of course, each person is different in that regard.

Have you researched all of the alternatives to surgery? There are other options out there to deal with heavy bleeding than hysterectomy, such as ablation. My sister had an ablation almost three years ago and it all but eliminated her monthly periods! Without having that procedure, she also would have likely ended up with a hysterectomy.

You might also want to get an additional medical opinion to assure yourself that a hysterectomy is really the best alternative for you at this time.
Unread 04-30-2007, 04:55 PM

Your very lucky to say you don't experience the pain that normally goes along with Adenomyosis. I had severe cramping and periods that lasted weeks at a time with heavy bleeding. Tried the birth control pills that are supposed to stop your period- wrong - break though bleeding each month. Also had the ablation done, and that failed. In the end, having a hysterectomy was the right choice for me and pathology confirmed that I had Adenomysis and I was able to keep my ovaries because Ademoysis doesn't affect them. Wishing you luck.
Unread 04-30-2007, 05:21 PM

My adenomysis was not discovered until the pathology report after my TAH. I typically did not experience severe pain that accompanies it, had minor cramping but nothing that needed pain medication. I did however have very heavy bleeding. Fortunately it would only last about 3 days, but during that time I would go through super plus tampons in 5 - 10 minutes due to the heavy bleeding and very large blood clots. So I would say yes that it is possible to have adenomysis without the accompanying pain. Good luck and speedy recovery.
Unread 04-30-2007, 07:55 PM

Thanks ladies for all of your replies. I guess I'll just have to wait for the path report after the surgery to know for sure. As for considering other alternatives to hysterectomy, my dr. did mention ablation but said that it doesn't always work.... And at this point, I'm tired of trying things that don't work. I have put up with this prolonged period thing for about 3 yrs, and I just want the problem fixed... One thing that my dr. mentioned about ablation is that it would (supposedly, if it worked) make my periods stop completely, but since there would be no bleeding, there would not be any signs to tell you if something was really wrong later on, like cancer--which, from my understanding, makes itself known by abnormal bleeding.... so that kind of concerned me. Anyway, I'm not looking forward to the hyst., but feel at peace with it. I hope it all goes ok...putting it all in God's hands.
thanks again, ER
Unread 04-30-2007, 08:50 PM

Sorry to sound dumb - but what is ablation??
Unread 05-01-2007, 05:03 PM

clairebear,

According to my understanding, an endometrial ablation is a procedure where they insert a type of wire mesh up into the uterus and then direct a low amt of electric current into it in order to kill the uterine lining. It was the last option they offered me before resorting to a hysterectomy. After it is done it is supposed to keep a woman from having any more periods. I was told sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't..... and my fear, if it actually did work, is that there would be no signs/symptoms if there arose another problem, such as cancer,--in which case one of the prominent signs is abnormal bleeding. So, it can be a good thing, by stopping all bleeding completely, but also a negative thing, too. I just decided to have the hyst. I am tired of messing around.
Your hyst. date is the day after mine. Hope your surgery goes ok, and that you recover quickly!

ER
Unread 05-01-2007, 05:40 PM

ElisabethRenee,

I'm having a total hysterectomy on May 3rd because of adenomyosis. I did not have any pain, but my periods this past year have been really heavy. So I am like you, no pain. Good Luck, and God Bless.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register