Is it normal to require narcotics 9 days after hysterectomy (7/7)? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is it normal to require narcotics 9 days after hysterectomy (7/7)? Is it normal to require narcotics 9 days after hysterectomy (7/7)?

Unread 07-16-2016, 08:02 PM
Is it normal to require narcotics 9 days after hysterectomy (7/7)?

I had robotic hysterectomy, everything removed, 7/7. I still have pain, but it's improving. I can't take nsaids so my dr said it's normal to be on hydrocodone a little longer. I'm almost out of my pain meds, should I ask for a refill? I only take 1-3 per day, mainly in the morning. I don't want my dr to think I'm misusing them and I certainly don't want to have any problems with them. Is it normal to require narcotics 9 days after hysterectomy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2016, 08:17 PM
Re: Is this normal?

I required them for 4 weeks!! However everyone different and so a lot of people don't need them that long. If you feel that you need them for longer, then you maybe you should ask for more..
Unread 07-17-2016, 05:38 AM
Re: Is it normal to require narcotics 9 days after hysterectomy?

I'm rather wimpy when it comes to pain. I tried to get off my Percocet too early (because of constipation issues) and ended up hunched over, so back on it I went. While I was able to stop shortly after, some of my recovery thread Sisters got refills in their second week of recovery.

I'd give your doctor a call, and tell him what you told us, that you often don't take the full dose. You can't take NSAIDS, but can you take acetaminophen / analgesics? Would that be an option?
Rest well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-17-2016, 07:12 AM

I'm going to call tomorrow for a refill. I tried not taking them this morning to see how I'd do, it wasn't pretty! I've read so much about how so many women are off of narcotics within a few days so I was getting concerned.
Unread 07-17-2016, 07:53 AM

I came off mine except at night, but I can use ibuprofen. Otherwise, I might still be using the Oxycodone. I think everyone is different, it couldn't hurt to ask the dr what he/she thinks. Maybe there are other options they can recommend.
Unread 07-18-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajames7884 View Post
I had robotic hysterectomy, everything removed, 7/7. I still have pain, but it's improving. I can't take nsaids so my dr said it's normal to be on hydrocodone a little longer. I'm almost out of my pain meds, should I ask for a refill? I only take 1-3 per day, mainly in the morning. I don't want my dr to think I'm misusing them and I certainly don't want to have any problems with them. Is it normal to require narcotics 9 days after hysterectomy?
I still take 1-3 Percocet along with Ibuprofen daily. My TLAVH was also on 7-7-16. I went back to work part time on the 12th and back to work full time this week, so as long as I'm still in pain, it's what's getting me through the day. Hoping to switch to Tylenol and Ibuprofen soon.
Unread 07-18-2016, 09:14 PM

At day 9 I had pain that was very intense and sharp. I had used Motrin 600mg every 8 hrs and Tylenol 650mg every 4 hrs in between. Ice right where the pain is at 20 minutes makes a huge difference. Narcotics should not be needed at day 9, if I had pain to that extent I would be driving my docs nuts.
Unread 07-19-2016, 07:20 AM

I also got a bit disheartened when I saw that so many women were not taking narcotics at all and I was still taking them a week or so post-op. I am about 2.5 weeks post-op and at 9 days post-op, I was taking naproxen in the morning, oxycodone mid-day and naproxen again before bed. Had I been unable to take the naproxen, I would have required the narcotics more often. Pain management is important, so don't feel bad asking for what you need! Also, if the oxycodone is getting to strong for you, but you still need pain relief, there may be other options. Can you take tylenol with codeine? That may provide the relief you need without being too strong.
Unread 07-19-2016, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajames7884 View Post
What's 'normal' for one person isn't necessarily 'normal' for another. There are no hard and fast rules after major surgery and everyone has different experiences with pain.

My doctor simply told me, "If you are in pain, take painkillers. It's very hard to start your recovery if you are in pain." It was good advice and I followed it.

Unread 07-19-2016, 09:13 AM

Thanks ladies! I talked to the nurse who made me feel like crap. She told me she didn't think the dr would refill because I'm 11 days postop. She just made me feel really bad for still taking them. She had me make an appointment. 15 mins later the dr called to see why I had scheduled an appointment. She asked if I felt I needed to be seen or if I just needed a refill. I explained everything, then she told me she had absolutely no problem refilling. She said that a lot of women still require the narcotics in the morning at this point postop. She really helped me feel better.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register