Am I just a wimp??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Am I just a wimp??? Am I just a wimp???

Unread 05-23-2006, 01:43 PM
Am I just a wimp???

Hey everyone,
I just want to know if I am being wimpy. I had a TAH on April 26th. I was only suppose to have a TVH, but at the end of the surgery I hemmoraged badly. My doctor told me that she figured I had been bleeding into the tissues for 15 to 20 minutes before she knew it. I ended up with a 10" incision and 4 units of blood. I was in ICU for a few days and came home after 5 days. Needless to say, I went through more than I thought I would. Last weekend my DH (Pres. of his company) had a national sales convention. I went for a few hours Friday night and 1/2 day on Saturday so I could support him. I was mainly sitting. But by Sunday I was a mess. I was so swollen and sore with new and different pains. So I spent all of Sunday and Monday completely down. I feel better today, but am afraid to do much. I am almost 4 weeks out, and I am not the type to sit and do nothing. But doing anything is really hard on me. I do a little housework, and some walking, but I am still so sore and I swell so bad. Is this normal for what I went through? My Dr. told me that the tissues I bled into would make me more sore. She also said she had to cut muscles that are not normally cut. I am usually really tough, and don't let much bother me, but I think I am turning into a wimp here. I am so tired of feeling yukky! Any wise words out there? I would appreciate any advice from others who have been there.
Melanie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2006, 01:52 PM
Am I just a wimp???

Melanie~

You're definitely not being a wimp! TVH or TAH, this is major surgery requiring we take it easy and not overdo it. I'm sure your husband appreciated your support. It does sound like you overdid it though. Sounds like you need to give yourself permission to relax and heal.

Maxine
Unread 05-23-2006, 02:06 PM
Am I just a wimp???

I don't think you are being a wimp. I had a TAH the day before you and only had a 6" incision, so I have no idea how extremely sore you must be feeling with a 10" incision AND the bruising of internal bleeding to boot.

Try looking at your successes and celebrating those, rather than beating yourself up over what you can't yet do. It is still early days for us and there is plenty of time to be energetic freaks later

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2006, 02:07 PM
Am I just a wimp???

You are definitely not a wimp. I'm 4weeks in too and have been trying to do a little more. When you do this the family thinks you are ok all of a sudden. I told mine "I've taken care of yall for 21 yrs now these next 3 months are my turn, get over it." Take it easy or you could set up scar tissue with pain and have to go back for more surgery to remove it.

Good Luck

SHB957
Unread 05-23-2006, 02:31 PM
Am I just a wimp???

(((((HUGS))))))

Are you kidding??? How can you be a wimp after dealing with all that you went through? A lot of us were feeling kindy crummy at 4 weeks out, even when our sugeries went well.

This is major stuff, and you had extra on top of it. Give yourself time to feel like yourself again. Has your dr. been checking to see if you are anemic? If not, you might want to request that she does that. After losing blood like that I wouldn't be surprised if your were, and anemia can make anyone feel run-down.

Try to see if you can think of something special to do that would boost your spirits. Maybe dh can bring home a nice dinner for the two of you to eat in bed with a movie. Hang in there, you will be yourself again!

Betts
Unread 05-23-2006, 04:49 PM
Am I just a wimp???

Thanks for you support. It helps to know that I am really doing ok. This site has been a big help to me through this whole process! I will just plan on resting and trying to enjoy it for the next few weeks. Good luck to all of you!
Melanie
Unread 05-23-2006, 04:53 PM
Am I just a wimp???

I am 4 weeks post op from my TAH today. I had absolutely no complications. In fact my doctor said things went so well that he finished the surgery in less than an hour. Anyway my point is that even though everything went so well for me I am exhausted and still having some bad days. With everything you went through I wouldn't expect you to feel any differently than you do. You definitely are not a wimp!
Unread 05-23-2006, 08:36 PM
Am I just a wimp???

YOU ARE NOT A WIMP!!!

You had a lot done, and you've been through a lot. It sounds to me like you really overdid it this past weekend and that's why your body is rebelling now. As much as you might not want to, it's necessary that you take it easy and be gentle with yourself. It's going to take a lot longer than 4 weeks for your body to get back to normal. I know mine still has a long way to go, and I didn't have near the complications you describe.
Unread 05-24-2006, 05:49 AM
Am I just a wimp???

At 5 weeks today, I still get tired when I do too much! Slow down and rest some. You most certainly are not a whimp! You have been thru a lot! Remember, easing into things is the best way to go. Take care!
Unread 05-24-2006, 06:47 AM
Am I just a wimp???

I am 8 weeks and just had my first good day yesterday. At 4 weeks I could hardly do anything. Take it easy it DOES get better.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register