The whole no-smoking thing sucks... - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The whole no-smoking thing sucks... The whole no-smoking thing sucks...

Unread 04-04-2008, 06:46 AM
The whole no-smoking thing sucks...

I don't know if your head works anything like mine does, but when I'm trying to do something that requires a lot of willpower, I sometimes have to "bargain" with myself. For example, before I was ready to quit and didn't really want to give up smoking, I would have had to tell myself that quitting was only temporary and that after I healed enough from the surgery, I could start smoking again. That way, I wouldn't have to deal with the horrible idea of never having another cigarrette ever. (A terrifying thought to me before the pain in my chest became even scarier and gave me the motivation to do it.)

Of course my hope is that once you've gotten over the hardest part, you will say "heck, I've made it this far...I think I'll just keep going (like Forest Gump running from coast to coast)."

Maybe I'm uniquely perverse, but I'm just throwing that idea out in case it helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2008, 07:02 AM

perhaps your patch is the wrong strength,how about wellbutrin,it is actually marketed to help people stop smoking and it's an ssri to boot...i know several people who have quit smoking using wellbutrin,it goes by another name when its used for not smoking...you have every right to go ahead and feel bad,then you'll feel better...some times we fight the inevitable lows when going through them helps recover,you are suffering multiple losses and having pain to boot,a traditional comfort for you has been removed in a time of great stress,grieve then you can move on,it is a loss ! it does suck ! but you CAN do this... keep sharing we are hear to listen !
Unread 04-04-2008, 07:38 PM

I'm trying to quit as well. I tried the Chantix and ended up having to stop taking it because it was making me toss my cookies, didn't matter whether I took it with food or not the end result was always the same. While I was taking it though it worked great! I had no desire for a smoke and no desire to kill my fiance for lighting up in front of me like before when I tried the patch(I don't think they were strong enough for me either because I smoked while wearing the patch). I'm on effexor for depression and anxiety so I can't do the Zyban/Wellbutrin. My gyn hasn't said anything about quitting but we did discuss cutting down to at least half by surgery day.
To the OP perhaps you are allergic/sensitive to the adhesive on the patch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2008, 09:39 PM

hi all

has anyone who has had their surgeries smoked afterwards? Ofcourse you cant when your in the hospital but when i got home i had such a craving my husband didnt let me have one so when he would leave to go into another room i did take one of his and my God the pain aand gas coursed so my pressure i thought i was going to pass out. Did anyones Gyn prescribe anything to quit or was it your family doc?
Unread 04-05-2008, 01:58 PM

X smoker here, its HARD to stop!! If did it anyone can!! I am one ball of stress and always have been, anyway no smoking was hell.. I stopped in 1989 for personal reasons and today I still have a little, Hummm, moment!! That will never go away I see. The money I saved! Back then in here So Cal it had just gone up to 1.25 a pack.. I thought that was BAD then!? NOW OMG Gas and smokes.. need an extra job just to keep up.. What you all need to focus on is your blood thins out from smoking doesn't it? so you will have less bleeding and a better incision recovery! A faster recovery all together.. ISNT THAT WORTH THE TRADE?? I say YES!
Unread 04-10-2008, 08:52 AM
Im quitting no matter what

Well, I decided to try the Chantix...and today is day 3 on it...I have smoked less the last 3 days so far and even the firstdaywhen I smoked some of the times I smoked I felt naseated and didnt wantto...is that what the Chantix does? Idont careas long as ithelps me quit...also got some cranberry juice yesterday...I hate the taste but,figured it mighthelp flush my system some and help flush the nicotine out more...I hope...anyways that my update on that...Good luck to everyone who is quitting and remember...YOU CAN!!
Unread 04-10-2008, 09:14 AM

I also quit a month ago using the chantix I quit taking it a week and a half into it my mother was worried about side effects. but I am maintaining well I have cravings and my DBF is still smoking in the house and I am good. You can do it. Just breath slow deep breaths and if you can manage when you crave one try to talk a short walk or drink a glass of water I have been sucking on jolly ranchers for the oral fixation and cravings they help. Best of luck to you you can do it
Unread 04-10-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyjunebug
I also quit a month ago using the chantix I quit taking it a week and a half into it my mother was worried about side effects. but I am maintaining well I have cravings and my DBF is still smoking in the house and I am good. You can do it. Just breath slow deep breaths and if you can manage when you crave one try to talk a short walk or drink a glass of water I have been sucking on jolly ranchers for the oral fixation and cravings they help. Best of luck to you you can do it
I too have been sucking on Jolly Ranchers...I quit years ago when I was pregnantwith my 4th son bc with my3rd there wereso manycomplications I was terrified to smoke so I didnthave to have anything but sheerfearthen but,now I am doing bc I WANT TO, I NEED TO and I WILL BE HEALTHIER bc of it...I am trying to stay positive and know that I CAN DO THIS so I appreciate the encouragement...having ur bf smoke in the house must be hard...my neighbor is also trying to quitso...that'll be nice having those around me quitting too ...eitherway I am quitting...
Unread 04-10-2008, 11:08 AM

I thought it would be harder but it really isn't I love the smell of ciggarette smoke always have I was ready to quit had been thinking about it for a few years my Bf has seen how good I am doing though he is seriously thinking about quitting too. I think he can make a good effort at supporting me I tell you though it has not had its downs I wanted one so bad yesterday after my Pre-OP appt. My best friend quit the week before I did so we have been each others support. Good luck to you
Unread 04-11-2008, 09:26 PM

You might wanna try - and don't laugh - going to a hypnotist - not some bar freak stage show, but someone registered. They even will give you a boost in eating rite and feeling calm. I hated the patch, got welts and wanted to throw up, but, for others it's their thing. A have a freind that used the gum. Others used chantix. u've made it this far - awesome!!!Try flushing out your system with wheat grass drinks from health store to rid that nicotine. Doc told me only 5 % of the population is actually addicted to the nicotine, the rest is habit - how can that be true?!!!!!!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register