Can I have some cheese with my Whine! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can I have some cheese with my Whine! Can I have some cheese with my Whine!

Unread 07-15-2008, 07:01 AM
Can I have some cheese with my Whine!

I just need to whine for a minute.

I have fibroids that, apparently are growing at an exponential rate. I had ultrasound in April and they were about the size of golfballs, but now when I palpate my abdomen they feel about the size of baseballs.
In order to control (eliminate) the enormous hassle of my nasty periods my Dr. put me on Seasonique for the summer. At the time of my exam things weren't too awful and I opted to wait until after our summer travels were done before scheduling my LSH.

NOW I'm so bloated I can't breathe, my clothes don't fit because of the fibroids and I have to weigh in for my job today and I'm four pounds over my top limit. (I work at Weight Watchers). I'm tempted to cancel my trip to my parent's so that I can schedule my surgery sooner, but my mom and dad (and I!) would be heartbroken.

And I'm tired and cranky and have terrible lower back pain and heartburn like you wouldn't believe. Bleah. I can't wait to get rid of this problem.

(LOL, as my luck usually runs, I'll find after the fact that I've just traded in one problem for another.)

Thanks for letting me vent.
Beseda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2008, 07:11 AM

Mine started to grow really fast after my biobsy in a matter of a few weeks it grew to a football size..I couldn't get in any of my clothes and I opted for surgery ASAP ..best thing I ever did DR said the uterus was ready to burst on one side and the cancer would have spread everywhere. Your parents would likely understand why you need cancel your trip and take care of yourself first. It sounds selfish but you need to look after you first. Good Luck!!
Unread 07-15-2008, 10:29 AM

Hi there,

I agree with Smiley, who has had experience with this...it is best to take care of yourself first, and not let things get too far out of hand. Is it possible to go back to your doc for another ultrasound, or even just go ahead and move up the surgery date? You sound terribly uncomfortable, and I just wanted to tell you that we are all here for you...I wish you all the best, whatever you may decide. Please take care.

Sincerely, Trish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2008, 11:01 AM

I think your parents will understand if you needed to get the surgery sooner rather than later! I wish you luck and pleae take care of yourself.
Unread 07-15-2008, 11:49 AM

{{{Beseda}}}

I am sorry for all your pain and discomfort. I agree with the other posts, your parents I am sure will understand. Is it possible for them to come to you? Just a thought.....

Hugs and Blessing to you. I pray you find some peace in your decision.

Take good care,
Unread 07-15-2008, 12:02 PM

Hi Beseda,

Well...you've got one marvelous thing going for you right now through all this..your sense of humor. Whine and Cheese. I love it.

I too had fibroids and they are not fun. I also had similar symptoms. Heavy periods, bloat and no energy. Fiborids can get in the way of everything.

I also had a LSH. I am four years post-op now and my LSH is still one of the best things I ever did for my long term health. As far as tradinng in one problem for another as you mentioned...I traded in my life revolving around my periods and fiborids FOR a quality of life and I never looked back. I hope you have the same results with your LSH.

As far as your trip..I say take it, if you can. A trip is a memory for a lifetime. Your LSH will be there when you get home. It sounds like you have managed your fibroids well until now...so why not a little longer to have some quality time with your family.

Best wishes~

Mary
Unread 07-15-2008, 12:25 PM

I wonder if you could manage both. Schedule your surgery and make a quick trip right before. Or perhaps your parents (I don't know is this is possible) could come to you.
Hope you are feeling better soon.

6/24/08 LAVH - adenomyosis
age 38
Unread 07-16-2008, 10:42 AM

Aww, thanks, y'all!
I appreciate the hugs and support soooo much!

I've decided to go ahead with the trip to my folks, but may not wait until September for the LSH. There are many reasons why the trip there will be the right thing to do, and hopefully the Dr. will be able to give some guidance as to how to manage the pain and bloating until my trip to the castle.

As I'm sure you all know, it's just nice knowing there are people out there who have 'been there' and who empathize. I don't want to burden my family (Who love me too much and would feel terrible that they couldn't do anything) and, gosh, what a relief to be able to vent among others who *get it*. Thank you all so very much for listening and for sharing!!!

Beseda
Unread 07-17-2008, 06:05 AM
Here's some "blue" cheese for that whine

Hi,
I can so relate - I had an ultrasound done in Feb. and lots of fibroids were noted, along with one large one maybe the size of a billiard bill. I was ready for a hysterectomy, but my gyn also put me on Seasonique to help with symptoms till I had the surgery. Over the next four months I experienced major bloating due to water retention, plus the fibroids starting growing really fast - I wonder if the hormones in the Seasonique may have stimulated their growth. I'm pretty sure the Seasonique caused the bloat. Anyway, it got to the point where I looked pregnant nothing fit, rings, shoes, let alone jeans and slacks, so I asked him for a diuretic pill prescription a couple of weeks before the surgery. It helped some - but your biggest relief is when you can get rid of the problem. You may want to keep in mind that the longer you wait, the larger the fibroids may grow. I was just borderline being able to have a LAVH due to the size of my uterus & fibroids, and the surgeon said it gave him a bit of trouble during the lap procedure. So maybe you can consider doing the surgery prior to your visit. I don't think your loving family is going to mind doing all the things to make you comfortable so you can enjoy their visit - it's not like you're asking them to go plow the back 40!
Unread 07-17-2008, 11:15 AM

Hee hee... blue cheese. Cute!

I can't tell you how much it helps put my mind at ease knowing that, though not fun, what I'm experiencing isn't unusual or dangerous.

I had also considered the possibility that the growing fibroids may eliminate the LSH as an option, so it's certainly at the top of my list of questions to ask when the Dr. (nurse) calls back today.

Unless it becomes an emergency and I have no choice, it's really not in the cards to have the hysterectomy before my trip, but as the days go on I really think I could schedule it for the minute I get off the plane. The other people affected here at home will just have to deal with not going to the pool as often as they'd like and with making their own suppers. (originally I was going to wait until after school started but now I'm not so sure....)

Thanks for your insight and encouragement! I'm glad to hear you're feeling better too!
Beseda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register