64yo...How will my life be different? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

64yo...How will my life be different? 64yo...How will my life be different?

Unread 11-24-2011, 03:27 PM
64yo...How will my life be different?

Had DaVinci LAVH/BSO 3 days ago and so far so good. Got home yesterday.

I know I can ask my dr these questions but I'm wondering how women my age saw their body/mood change if at all.

I have read articles and posts here...usually the assumption is that you are premenopausal or not that far into menopause. Obviously there are huge changes then

I assume I will not see that much change hormonally. Even now I've never had a hot flash and I work out almost every day...weights and yoga. Hope I keep the same energy level.

One very important area is weight gain.I have gained some weight in the last 20 yrs and would love to lose it...very difficult. If I gain any I will be VERY unhappy.

I also hope I will keep my really good state of mind. Don't want mood swings or anything like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-24-2011, 09:20 PM
Re: 64yo...How will my life be different?

Well, I'm 62 and 3 months post-op. for a TAH/BSO, so I have no female bits left - I gather it's the same for you.

I went through an early menopause at 45 and was on HRT for 7 years, but I suppose my ovaries wre not entirely dead.

I guess it's too soon for me to say what's different. I have not gained weight since my op. and was in fact on the thin side - still am, so that's no comfort to you!
But I never gained weight after menopause, probably because I started doing a lot of walking to help my bones, as I have low bone density. And cycling to work.
The only change I can see, or that I might be imagining, is a few night sweats!! I never had those when I went through the menopause. In fact my menopause went by almost unnoticed apart from the gradual cessation of periods.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens! At least we won't have to fear certain types of cancers in our "old" age!
Unread 11-25-2011, 08:32 PM

I am 60 years old, went through menopause at 49, lumpectomy for breast cancer at 58, then add a total hysterectomy with repairs and a bladder sling for a stage 4 prolapse. I feel better than I have for several years. No problems other than an occasional hot flash, but that is due to the Tamoxofen I take for the cancer. I did put on a couple of pounds after surgery due to a 12 week recovery period inwhich I could do nothing but walk as I was able. I would eat a really good, balanced diet, and when you feel able, start walking. Don't overdue, you are still very early in your recovery. Add a few steps each day! Just give yourself plenty of time to heal with lots of good quality rest.

Acey, you are so right! My oncologists agreed with my decision for the total hysterectomy. I am quite happy not to have to worry about cancer in my old age!

Upper West Side, attitude is everything. We aren't older, we are just sooo much better! Heal well, sisters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-25-2011, 08:44 PM

I am 6 weeks post hysterectomy, 60 years old and so far see no difference in menopausal symptoms or weight gain. My stomach is still swollen, but the numbers on the scale haven't changed. Best of luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register