Things to do .. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Things to do .. Things to do ..

Unread 12-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Things to do ..

Afternoon Ladies
So it's been 3 days since sub total abdominal hysterectomy. Came out of hospital today and it's been about 3 hours and the boredom has set in. I know I have been lucky with pain and movement but the risk is thinking I am 100% back to normal so am following orders and relaxing (only way they would release me early). What did you all do to keep your self from getting up and meddling ?

I have lost ability to concentrate which is normal for me when I have anethsetic so now browsing the net and counting hours till next walk.

Tips for entertaining please

Also a big thank you to everyone in the forums, I read so much that helped me make the decision in the first place.
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-06-2011, 09:35 AM
Re: Things to do ..

I am spending my time playing games and commenting on statuses on Facebook, texting with my grown kids, reading a good mystery, enjoying scented candles in my room, having time to have long talks with my husband since he is home taking care of me, I also do variety word puzzles(sure there are some online too), petting my kitten, reading up on things I always wondered about and waiting for my next meal(I hate not being the one doing the cooking and it is all take out or meals from church friends). Sometimes I get bored, especially if I am home alone but hasn't been too bad. Right now I am playing online games with a nice cup of tea while my kitten sleeps on my feet. I am waiting for DD #1 and #3 to come by and bring me lunch and take DD #4 and #5 to the Y for the afternoon.
Unread 12-06-2011, 09:42 AM

Have you discovered Pinterest? I've been making crazy big lists there of all the projects I want to tackle as I continue healing. Crafty fun stuff, and such.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-06-2011, 09:45 AM

I know I should enjoy the down time but then look over and see a pile of washing not done while I was in hospital and wonder why no one else sees it The Internet is a godsend, so nice to still "talk" to everyone while lying down. My mom came over to help but I think we thought would need more physical assistance, now we have 2 bored females in the house I shall continue to read the forums and perhaps a few Internet shopping days may help

Enjoy all the visits.
Unread 12-06-2011, 10:18 AM

I didn't have my normal concentration levels so reading was a little tough at first. I had bought some DVDs of TV shows (here's what a geek I am - Star Trek) and enjoyed watching those. It didn't matter if I fell asleep since I could just start over. I also watched the food channel which seemed to help my appetite a lot!
Unread 12-06-2011, 10:33 AM

I wish my appetite hadn't come back, I am going roll off this bed Yes got BF to download few series and making my through them, stopping, wondering on line, going back .. Other surgeries (way to many for 30) have taught me not to take up important thoughts in first week
Unread 12-06-2011, 11:05 AM

Agree with those that prior posters have mentioned (especially getting involved in a NEW TV series is a great one..if you go to NetFlix and I'm sure others...they have a feature that says 'if you liked this..you may be interested in 'that'..I found a couple brand new series that way!) what I didn't see listed was one thing that I did...which was make a list of all the things that I was noticing that needed to be done when I got better. for example: as I was sitting on the couch one day I realized that we had two closets in our family room both of which were crammed full of stuff. so I put on my list "go through closets in family room". The other day, Hubby and I were sitting around chatting and he said "i'm ansty but I dont' want to leave you alone...." so I said..why don't you open up that closet and you can pull stuff out and I can tell you where it goes? He was thrilled!! (he has mentioned several times that he can never find anything in those closets, so he benefited as well). We got two closets straightened out, donated about 12 various types of outerwear, filled up a large garbage bag with trash, and I didn't have to do ANYTHING but point and speak. LOL!! If i hadn't made that list, I may not have thought about it when the opportunity presented itself.

Other things that I thought I would do (but in some cases ended up not doing): writing an actual letter to each of my family members that are at a distanc; starting my Christmas list, searching online for great vacation places to go that don't cost a lot (we spend more time trying to figure out where to go for vacations than we ever do on the actual vacation....so this would be time well-spent).

good luck in finding things to do to pass the time!!
Unread 12-06-2011, 02:02 PM

I couldn't concentrate much the first couple of weeks so I was watching TV and watch way too much anyway, but caught up on shows I missed...etc. Movies.

I could start reading the second week and even went to the library. If you have a Kindle or even on your computer you can download books to read - classics are free!

I also have a cross stitch project to work on - for a friend who's son is now 6!! LOL Not much left, but I should work on it.

A couple of friends are out of work and I went out with one last week.

I could write Christmas cards, but....
Unread 12-06-2011, 02:33 PM

Thanks everyone, am getting other half to download shows right now, ones he would never watch
I went into overdrive getting every chore done pre surgery thinking I was going to be next to useless but I should have left something to keep myself busy. Not complaining though as its nice to be more mobile than expected, didn't think I would be able to sit at table and have dinner 3 days later. Now if I could stop resembling a beach ball all would be good

Ok tomorrow going to do some Internet shopping and will save books till week 2 as suggested, nice to know lack of concentration is pretty normal.
Unread 12-06-2011, 04:13 PM

my first couple of weeks concentration was tough so it was TV and/or movies and lots of sleeping. I also was blessed with a wide variety of friends and family stopping by and/or calling.

As concentration returned I worked on a puzzle, read books, more TV and made up some lists of things people could do for me. They kept asking and seemed disapointed if I said nothing so I passed along laundry, house cleaning - even got my BF to build shelves in the attic AND organize it (woohoo that was a huge project). It allowed him to be over and useful instead of sitting and watching me do nothing.
I also got most of my holiday shopping done on-line
Have fun finding unique ways to amuse yourself and don't be afraid of doing nothing..I know it can be a challenge but you have to heal.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register