Scheduled TAH c-section vs TAH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

c-section vs TAH c-section vs TAH

Unread 02-03-2012, 12:25 PM
c-section vs TAH

I'm new to the site, so I'm not sure this the best place to post this question. My TAH is scheduled for 2-15-2012

Can anyone help me determine how different a c-section will be from a TAH? I've had 7 c-sections.

How long will I be in the hospital? Does someone need to stay in the hospital with me?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2012, 06:49 PM
Re: c-section vs TAH

I can't say from experience, but I asked the same question of my doc. However, my surgery wasn't a c-section. I had an abdominal myomectomy 6 years ago. It was basically a c-section without the baby. My doc said it would be fairly similar, but with a longer weight lifting restriction. It made me feel a little better knowing that. My TAH is scheduled for 2-8.
Unread 02-03-2012, 10:04 PM

Welcome! We're glad you found us!

I don't have a personal experience because I had a vaginal birth and a vaginal hysterectomy, however, I would guess the biggest difference between a TAH and C-Section is that with a TAH an organ is removed and a c-section only removes a baby. There will be a lot of internal stitches that will need to heal but the abdominal incision will probably be quite similar. You might find the Pre-Op Article Abdominal Hysterectomy Compared to C-Section helpful.

It seems the average hospital stay is about 2 - 4 days with some women staying longer, some less. My husband stayed with me even though I only stayed overnight. He went home late that evening and came back the next morning and was a great comfort to me.

Best wishes!

Deb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2012, 12:23 AM

I have had 3 c-sections and had an abdominal hysterectomy 8weeks ago. With my c-sections I stayed in the hospital for 5 days...two with my hysterectomy. I think the initial pain was about the same, but my pain was really well managed. The biggest things I notice is my tummy is still tender to touch and I am tired...physically drained. I felt pretty much back to normal before a month with my c-sections...I still don't feel "normal" yet.
Unread 02-06-2012, 07:31 PM

Thanks so much for your note! I really appreciate your thoughts. I wanted to know what to expect and how much help I needed once I got home.
Unread 02-06-2012, 07:39 PM

Thanks for the link to the article. I'm glad to hear your husband stayed with you. I was thinking I'd have mine stay with me as well. I'm thinking I might need the moral support.
Unread 02-06-2012, 07:42 PM

Thanks so much for your note! I really appreciate your thoughts. I wanted to know what to expect.
Unread 02-06-2012, 11:03 PM

My hyst recovery was much harder than my c section recoveries. I am sure it could have something to with the fact that my sections were all done in my early 20's and my surgery was done in my early 40's.

I was in the hospital 4 days, with my c sections...3 days for my hyst. My husband did stay with me the whole time I was in the hospital. My kids are all teens so they were good on their own, checking in with some friends of ours and such.

For some reason I was a slow healer, but thankfully I had great help and and understanding family.

It has taken much longer for me to get my energy back, but I am happy to say, that now, at 18 months post op I am in pretty good shape! I am able to work out and walk and do some yoga, and pretty much go at whatever pace I need. Every now and then I still get some pulling in my scar, or aching in my gut. But those days are few and far between now!

Even though it has been a hard road, I would do it again in a heartbeat! I am so much better off now than I was before surgery.
Unread 02-07-2012, 07:19 AM

Thanks so much for your thoughts. I like to know what to expect. I'm going for my pre-op this week and surgery next week. Thanks again!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register