scared to death | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

scared to death scared to death

Unread 12-30-2003, 11:32 AM
scared to death

HiI am 42 years old and due tohave a hysterectomy on January 14, 2004. This surgery will be done because I bleed terribly and I am anemic. This has been going on for 1 year.
Now that X-mas is over I am getting real scared. I have 2 lil girls ages 7 and 10 and they need me.Eventhough I do have great family support who will help with the kids I am still scared. I am having trouble sleeping at nite knowing my day is approaching. I am thinking of all the mishaps that can occur.Will I be in alot of pain, can I walk,eat, will I have a catheter..... It just goes on and on. I am exhausted due to these awful thoughts.

I need to hear from other women who have experienced what I am feeling. Please help me

Thanks,

daisey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2003, 11:48 AM
scared to death

Okay here is a run down if everything goes normally.

1. You will have a good bit of pain when you first come out of surgery. They can help that a lot with an epidural. I chose not to have that. But the docs had high regards for it. With it you can still walk they tell me.

2. You will have a catheter for about the first 24 hours after surgery and will have to keep it in till you get rid of the epidural if you choose that. This was the reason for me not choosing that pain option. I hate catheters.

3. You can eat. Probably clear liquids the first day or so and then normal food after that. But with pain meds, you really don't have much of an appetite.

4. Yes, you can walk. The Doctor really wants you up outta bed the second day and to have short walks around the floor you are on. This helps prevent pneumonia and blood clots. So walk away!

Hope this helps you a bit. And the pain gets better with each day after surgery. I am 4 days post op and I did a bit of shopping with hubby yesterday. Most ppl would not want to do that but I was very active before my problems. I just leaned on the buggy going around the store. I felt great being out! Good luck with your surgery and our prayers will be with you!
Unread 12-30-2003, 11:49 AM
scared to death

Everyone feels the same way before they have the surgery. You would be weird if you didn't. I know that I had thought about all of the possible bad things that could happen. Although none of us can guareentee that you will not have problems that are serious, most people do make it through the surgery with few serious problems.

For myself, I had my surgery on 9/16/03, and am now feeling pretty great every day. I am so glad that I had the surgery, and even though the first month was rough, I have had few complications.

Be sure to come to this website often - it will help to alleviate your fears before surgery, and it will give you lots of good advice and support afterwards. I would suggest that you not spend too much time on the post-surgery side because it can make you more apprehensive. I didn't go to the post side until I came home from the hospital....I didn't want to scare myself because I knew that what I was doing was something I needed to do. Do be sure to ask your doctor lots of questions, and if you feel you need a 2nd or 3rd opinion, please get them before you have your surgery - because this is something that you will have to live with forever.
Hope this helps - there are lots of us out here, and I think most of us are very satisfied with our results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2003, 12:40 PM
SCARED TO DEATH

I AM SOOOOOO WITH YOU ON THE FEAR. MY "BIG DAY" IS JANUARY 13,2004. I AM DREADING IT TOO. THOUGH I AM ONLY 32 I HAD A TUBAL AT 23. MY BEAUTIFUL SON IS 10 AND ON MY "BIG DAY" HE WILL BE COMPETEING IN A SPEECH CONTEST HELD AT HIS SCHOOL(HE IS #1 NOW...THE COMPETITION IS 42 MORE KIDS). MY HEART IS BREAKING THAT I CANNOT BE THERE FOR HIM. AND HIS HEART IS BREAKING BECAUSE HE CANT BE THERE FOR ME.
I AM NOT SLEEPING EITHER, SO KNOW THAT WHEN YOU ARE LAYING THERE AT NIGHT WONDERING ABOUT THE OUTCOME, SO IS SOMEONE ELSE IN FLORIDA! I WANT TO REMAIN POSITIVE, BUT EVERY DAY I TICK OFF OF THE CALENDAR I GET A LITTLE MORE NERVOUS..NO MAKE THAT FREAKED OUT!!!!
GOOD LUCK AND I WILL KEEP YOU IN MY THOUGHTS AT NIGHT WHEN I AM NOT SLEEPING AND HOPE FOR A QUICK RECOVERY FOR BOTH OF US!
Unread 12-30-2003, 12:41 PM
Quite, quite normal!

Hugs to you!

I didn't have a spinal but had an iv that meant I could be given pain relief and anti nausea medication without lots of injections. It was inserted whilst in surgery so never felt a thing there! I had the iv out on 2nd day and then switched to voltaren suppositories for pain relief ( worked for 12 hours) and the cath I had been dreading was no big deal at all, even showering with it the second day was fine and it came out later that day with NO pain.

I had vaginal packing to control bleeding but that I think was because I had pelvic floor repair surgery done as well. That was not too pleasant being removed evening of second day but gather most women have no trouble, think mine was left in too long. It was a weird sensation, like one of those magicians who keep pulling endless scarves out of their hats!

The feared surgery stockings ( I get MEAN leg cramps!) were great, I almost missed them by the time I could keep them off!

I understand how you feel about your daughters' needs but it's also a time for them to be able to show you how much they love you and they will feel proud to be able to help you in small ways, -making a drink, passing you books or magazines, even reading to you ( now there's a swap!).

Not sure if you are having vaginal or abdominal surgery and/or other surgery but one thing I do know, once you are on the recovery road you will feel so much better to have lost that draining bleeding and get your iron levels back up.

Try to be organised, but give yourself a good rest before surgery so you're in best possible health and not worn out. You'll always find ideas and support on this site, take good care, Linda
Unread 12-30-2003, 12:58 PM
scared to death

Your fears and ? are all normal. ALOT of us have been the same way before surgery. I'm 2wks post-op and have a 14 month old. I still kinda freak out cuz I know I have at least 4 more weeks of healing time before I can slowly step back into my duties as a mommy. I wonder if the help will be there as long as needed.

I pray to God and put it all in his hands, then I take it one day at a time. This seems to help that overly burdened feeling. I know God will prevail in this long stretch. It kills me that I can't pick up my over sized baby, but I find other ways to make up for it. (he's a 1yr old trapped in a 2yr old's body LOL)

Anyways, I wanted to add to the "you're not alone" statement. I made a to-do list to help distract me from thinkin about it all the time before my surgery. Plus, it helps you feel a lil more comfy after surgery. I can't stand being ill and seein any kinda dirt. LOL

Sending calming vibes your way.
Unread 12-30-2003, 02:25 PM
scared to death

Speak to your doctor to find out exactly what the procedure will be.

I did not have a catheter

I did not have a bowel prep or enema

I did not have TED hose or those leg massagers. I was up and walking.

I did not have vaginal packing

I did have to do a betadine douche, but it was no big deal.

I was able to eat the next morning a reg diet and I did not get sick from it. I was starved! The day of surgery , I had clear liquids.

I was able to walk a few hours after waking up from general anesthetic and I took a shower the next morning by myself.

I did not suffer a post anesth. headache and I am normally a migraine sufferer.

I had a anti nausea cockatail before surgery and special meds in my IV - so I did not get sick from anesthetic.

I walked every hour to the bathroom to urinate. At first with a nurses help then later on by myself.

I woke up with a crampy sensation low down in my tummy. It was nothing as bad as the cramps I was feeling going into surgery from aunt flo. I had morphine and toradol for pain the first day, and Motrin 800's from there on out.

Its different for everyone as you can see. I didnt even have a catheter which was great for me. My surgery was the best thing I ever did. I have 3 small children and my DH took off a week of work to take care of them and me. I had to take over on day 6 post op. I really wish he would have taken another week, but we managed with alot of planning.

I suggest you make a list of concerns and ask your doctor. Dont worry about bugging him or that the concern may seem silly, because it isnt. Its very important for you to enter this feeling confident and knowing what will happen.

Feel free to pm me if you would like to talk
Unread 12-30-2003, 04:19 PM
scared to death

Hi Daisey,
My surgery date is the same as yours..and I am also from PA. I've been making lists right now to help me cope (and keeps me feeling a bit in control) Lists to tell me what to bring to the hospital, lists of phone numbers, lists of my favorite comfort foods for when I come home..LOL!

This site is so full of great advice. I have been trying to read everything I can on the Pre-Op side of it. Although I am frightened, I feel the more knowledge I have the better prepared I will be.
I'm also trying to keep a positive attitude (even though right now I feel a little weepy on the inside) for the sake of my daughter who is home from college I'm trying to remain 'cheery'.

Take care and keep the thought that things will be much better once we get to the other side.

Big hugs-proud to soon be a
Unread 12-30-2003, 07:08 PM
scared to death

Daisey,
Try not to over-worry. There is a difference. Start talking to yourself with positive messages. You say you have support, that's great. Don't worry about the cathter. They will put it in while you are knocked out. You won't feel a thing when they remove it. (you've never done this before-they have!) I'm scheduled 1-22-04. but I've had several other surgeries. Tell your children that you will be wozzy and need extra rest for several days and weeks when you get home so they won't imagine the worst. Use all the support you can get, don't turn down anyone who ask to help. You had two kids!you can do this too! I am having some worry times myself. We're just normal. But try to reassure yourself the same way you would a sister!

Good luck.
Unread 12-31-2003, 12:46 AM
For rosievern

Please have somebody tape the speech! As a retired schoolteacher I've worked on judging these competions and I taped many of them.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register