Scheduled LAVH post menopausal/hormones | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

post menopausal/hormones post menopausal/hormones

Unread 06-02-2010, 03:34 PM
post menopausal/hormones

I'm 52yrs old and post menopausal and never took any kind of hormone replacements. AFter my surgery will I need to go on hormones? Also, i read that I need a lot of bed linens when I get home from the hospital, why????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2010, 04:38 PM
Re: post menopausal/hormones

I'm 15 weeks from my TLH for post menopausal bleeding and hyperplasia. I didn't take any HRT when I went thru menopause and I didn't start any after my surgery. My dr left my ovaries in since they looked healthy and she said they still secrete small amounts of hormones after menopause.

Maybe the comment about the sheets referred to night sweats, not sure about that. I didn't need extra linens. I did buy baby wipes to keep "fresh" from the spotting/discharge which for me lasted close to 5 weeks.

I prepared and froze some meals before my surgery and that was very helpful. Had a big stack of books to read and some crafts to work on (card making). I kept a basket nearby with all my "stuff" so things wouldn't fall on the floor (pain med, ibuprophen, colace, thermometer, pen, pad of paper to keep track of when I took meds, throat lozenges) My first two BMs were not pleasant so I sent hubby to buy MiraLax and that worked like a charm. Also got a lot of entertainment from a hand held FreeCell game. Oh! Heating pad ~~ that helped alot with back pain. And lots of pillows ~~ I sat on them, had them behind my back etc.

Most importantly, don't rush your recovery. It takes time and I have learned "patience is a virtue". Best wishes to you while you await your trip to the castle. Let me know if I can be of any help to you. One more thing ~~ I listened to Belleruth Naperstek's Successful Surgery every night at bedtime. It's guided imagery, affirmations, and relaxing music. It really helped to keep me calm. Take care!
Unread 06-02-2010, 04:57 PM

thanks so much , that really is helpful. I'm more worried about post -op than pre op anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2010, 05:47 PM

I wondered the same thing so I'll be interested in what others have to say. I've never taken anything and been post menopause for 4 years. I am 55. Are you keeping ovaries? They are taking everything with me, and I wonder if I'll notice since they say the ovaries can still secrete samll amts of hormone. Good luck to you.
eliz
Unread 06-02-2010, 06:14 PM

yes, they are taking my ovaries also. I have one bad ovary for sure, but he wants to take take both of them.
Unread 06-02-2010, 06:25 PM

(((vegaslover))) Even if you are postmenopausal, your ovaries still make small amounts of useful hormones. If the ovaries are removed, you *may* (and some women do) experience symptoms of menopause. At that point you could decide, with your doctor, whether or not they are severe enough for you to want to use HRT.

Good luck with your surgery!

s,
-Linda
Unread 06-02-2010, 10:40 PM

Personally I was surprised and disappointed that removing my atrophied ovaries gave me new menopause symptoms. I'd never had brain fog before, just hot flashes. I'd never taken HRT before but I need my brain for my job so now I'm on HRT and can think again. Guess those atrophied old girls were still working. I do miss them.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register