Scheduling Surgery | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scheduling Surgery Scheduling Surgery

Unread 07-30-2002, 09:06 AM
Scheduling Surgery

Hi! I am so glad I found this site. I am going to schedule my surgery for a complete hysterectomy this Thursday (8/1/02). I am 38, married and have never had children due to endometriosis (At least that's what the doctors say) I have been on every drug, had two surgeries already and now they have decided it's time to take it all out. Of course it would have been nice for the doctors to see the light 8 years ago when this nightmare all started! I,ve heard some horror stories and am a little scared, but living with the pain has ruined my life. Thank god I have a great husband. I guess I'm just looking for somebody to talk to who has some idea of what I live through every month that doesn't make me feel like I'm crazy, or just imagining it. Thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-30-2002, 09:44 AM
Scheduling Surgery

Hi Erin

You're not alone and you're not crazy. I've also had previous surgeries and wish something permanent had been done years ago. I am so ready to reclaim my life because constant pain and other assorted problems is no way to live!

We're very similar in that I'm 37, married, and have no kids. Best of luck to you.

Unread 07-30-2002, 09:58 AM
Scheduling Surgery

Just looking for somebody to talk to who has some idea of what you live through every month that doesn't make you feel like you're crazy, or just imagining it?

Well, Erin - you are in the right place. Welcome to Hyster Sisters! That's exactly who you'll find here - other women with lots of info and arms open wide to support you through every step of this journey.

I didn't even realize the level of pain I was living with, until it was gone. Pre-op, I thought that I just had a really low pain threshold. Now I know that I wasn't imagining it or crazy or a whiney wimp, I was a tough brave cookie. It sounds like you are too!

If you haven't gone there already, the pull down menus on the home page are full of great information about other sisters' experiences and ways to prepare for surgery. You can also read past posts about specific areas that interest you by clicking on the purple search button at the top of the page and keying in a subject.

I'm so glad you found us, Erin!

Cecee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-30-2002, 10:07 AM
Scheduling Surgery

Hi Erin,

I don't have my surgery scheduled yet but I can totally relate to what you're going through. I'm 35 and have been suffering for 12 years. I had a lap procedure 12 years ago for an ovarian cyst and severe pelvic infection. I also had a D&C. I was okay for 6 months or so but the pain came back, worse than ever. I have been told by many different doctors that I have endo, polycistic ovaries, fibroids, a tilted uterus and severe PMS. I have tried BC pills, Provera, Anaprox, various prescription pain medication and nothing seemed to help for very long. Right now I'm taking Meclomen which does control the pain but has some unpleasant side effects.

I was really starting to feel that I was going crazy. Everytime I left another doctor's appointment with nothing but a new prescription, I wanted to cry. I've had ovarian cysts burst twice, which is unbelievably painful and couldn't seem to get a correct diagnosis. I finally saw a wonderful nurse practioner last month and she told me "pain is not normal, lets get some tests going." I almost cried because someone was actually listening to me!

I'm glad things are moving along for you too Erin and I wish you the best. I certainly know and I'm sure all the other ladies here know what its like to live with pain for years and years. This is a great place to talk about it
Unread 07-30-2002, 10:27 AM
Scheduling Surgery

Hi Erin,

Just wanted to welcome you to this site. As you read around you will see that we're all in a similiar situation. It is apparent that the physicians in the last 10 years have played the conservative role unless cancer was involved. Also, the insurance HMOs have us doing multiple proceedures.

Like Cecee said, most of us have lived and put up with our symptoms for so long that we don't remember what it is like to feel normal....healthy.

I'm happy for you that your surgery will be close and you can look forward to a better life. And what's so good here, is that you can connect with sisters who have the same surgery date and you can follow each other through recovery. As you look on the Post Op side, please don't let their issues dissapoint you. Recovery is just that...a time period where you don't feel good but slowly you see improvement. Eventually, the ladies gain their strengh and return to their daily life. And, often even 6 months or a year later a post op sister will drop in to say... that life is good.

Welcome
Unread 07-30-2002, 11:10 AM
Welcome!

Hey, we have the same date to schedule our surgeries! I'll be thinking of you!

Spend lots of time reading here and you'll find answers to all your questions. You'll even find answers to questions you never even thought about! Others who are or have gone through what you're experiencing will be along. Hang in there.

Mary
Unread 07-30-2002, 11:36 AM
Scheduling Surgery

Erin

Hang in there. I do not have a date yet but am hopeing to have one soon. I have suffered for 5 years and made my family sufferas well out of fear. Fear of being away from my son for a few days and fear of bladder injury after surgery. I had an emergency c section 5 years ago and required a D& C to remove placental fragments after that. 6 months later I ended up with severe bladder problems which were cured by a TCM who is now retired, I love that lady and will never forget her. I cried in her arms the day she retired. She gave me my life back. I lost it agin as my periods went wacky and now I continually bleed. I was telling a woman at work of my fear of surgery only because of possible bladder injury. I know of 10 people who had the surgery with no problems but I fear I will be the one with the problem. This wise woman said she was sure I would be fine if I went in with a positive attitude and to remember that there are risks in everything we do in life.

Hang in there I'm praying for you.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register