Gyno appointment tomorrow | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Gyno appointment tomorrow Gyno appointment tomorrow

Unread 11-30-2005, 02:42 AM
Gyno appointment tomorrow

Tomorrow morning I go in and see my gynocologist about this growing fibroid or fibroids. I have read everything there is probably to read on the cancer that resembles fibroids. That has made my physically ill and unable to sleep at night. I am so very nervous about this. I need some good vibes that hopefully my appointment with her tomorrow won't be as awful as I believe it is going to be. I will post what I find out. Wish me luck, I am going to need it! Paula
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2005, 05:55 AM

Hello Paula,

I am new here and do not have any expierence with fibroids, but I wanted to wish you well at your appointment. I am sorry you are dealing with being ill and not sleeping at night is something I do have in common with you and it is a horrible thing to have to go through. I will be looking forward to your update and again wish you tons of good vibes!
Kelly
Unread 11-30-2005, 06:35 AM

Hello Paula,

I have not had any experience with fibroids myself personally, but I did work in the ob/gyn field for nine years and saw tons of patients with fibroids.

They are "generally" benign in nature and once they are removed, you will be feeling better!

I wish you lots of luck tomorrow at your appointment.

Just a little suggestion to you, write down a list of questions to ask your doctor and be sure to tell him/her of all of your fears! If your doctor is anything like mine, he/she will take the time to answer all of them and hopefully you will walk away feeling informed and little more relaxed.

Sending you a big !

Tricia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2005, 06:39 AM

HI Paula,
I had my hyst because of fibroids and my gyn reassured me that the chance of having a cancerous fibroid was very slim. There are alternatives to treating fibroids so please discuss those options with your doctor. My choice was taken away because of a stray one that grew outside of the uterus and around my right ureter, thus a hyst was necessary. Take a list of questions with you to your doctor so you don't forget anything you want to know.

I'm sending you good vibes and some cyber to calm those nerves!
Unread 11-30-2005, 06:43 AM

Hi Paula
I know the fear you are going through. Hope that everything will be fine.
I had fibroids that felt like they were growing overnight. Like you I read all the spooky stuff on the web about the 1% or less chance of fibroids being malignant.
Although another problem was found, my fibroids turned out to be just fibroids, although sometimes you swear they have taken over your body.
Sending soothing and healing vibes your way. Trisha
Unread 11-30-2005, 05:01 PM

Hi Paula,

I was a ~fibroid lady~ in pre-op so I can understand your concerns.

I agree with what Sparrowsong said. My Dr. told me the chance of my uterine fibroids being cancerous was approx. 1%. So try not to worry.

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 12-01-2005, 12:43 PM

Okay, well, I have my hysterectomy scheduled for January 2nd. I get a Lupron injection this coming Monday to try to shrink this fibroid some. She said my uterus size is of a very early pregnancy. The fibroid is 6 cm. I asked her a ton of questions. She said she would try to take everything vaginally, I guess that is what they call a LAVH? She will scope me first through the belly, to make sure everything is okay and then go from there. If she can't do it vaginally, will be a bikini cut to the belly. Told her I might be interested in keeping one ovary if I have one that is healthy and good. She said that was fine with her. She said she has seen sarcoma twice 15 or so years ago when she was a resident. She has never seen one in their practice here (they are a group of gynos about 6, I guess). She said the chance of this fibroid being a sarcoma is 1% or even less than that. She said 1 in every 100,000 women will get a sarcoma. It is very rare she said. I guess that made me feel a little better, but when you have a lot of family members that have died from different cancers it just races in your brain a lot. So, I am trying to get over that part. I am anxious to get rid of this, I do know that. I told her if I couldn't keep an ovary, I would not take synthetic estrogen, I wanted something that wouldn't raise my risk of breast cancer too much. She said that was fine, she knows of a good compounding pharmacist not too far from here in Corydon, Indiana. She said she is a breast cancer survivor. She said she refers a lot of her patients to her. She said she has some other ladies that do come off birth control pills and their fibroid or fibroids grow. She said no bowel prep, just an OTC enema after supper the night before, no packing, just an overnight stay if vaginally. So I am all ready! Paula
Unread 12-01-2005, 08:19 PM

Hi boxerdog

I am feeling the same way you are!! I have my gynocologist appointment tomorrow too I am not sure what they will do or ask or if they are going to give me options, my Dr. told me I have to have surgery?? I think she meant hysterectomy!!! I have a Large fibroid tumor (15cm) in my uterous. Tell me about you and do you also have a Fibroid tumor?? She told me to take a ultra sound because my iron was a little low and my periods have been pretty heavy some months, and 1 month I bled for 1 month straight, wasn't alot but it seemed as it wasn't gonna stop.

Please write back )

Kimberly
Unread 12-01-2005, 09:12 PM

Hi Kimberly! Yes, I do have a fibroid tumor. Mine is 6 cm. the size of a large plum my gyno said. She didn't feel it at my annual exam in Febuary of this year, now it is there, so it grew quickly. I also had one very, very heavy period after not having a few periods. I am almost 46 years old. So because I am a little older and it grew quick, it worries me. I hope it is nothing except for a plain fibroid. I do have some pelvic pressure and I feel like I have to urinate more. Good luck with your gyno appointment. Paula
Unread 12-02-2005, 11:04 AM

Hi Boxerdogs,

I was 46 also when I had my hyst. My two fibroids - a 6.5 cm and a 8.5 cm - grew between two annual exams. One year. Fibroids can grow fast. It is amazing!!

Mary

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register