Time Off From Work | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Time Off From Work Time Off From Work

Unread 11-26-2003, 06:45 PM
Time Off From Work

What is the approiate amount of time to take off of work after a LAVH? My doctor has suggested 4 weeks. I am a nurse. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-26-2003, 07:04 PM
Time Off From Work

I work in a high volume restaurant as the manager, and I am taking the full 6 weeks. As a nurse, I am sure you have a very physically demanding job, and even in the best of shape, we can do damage that we don't know about.

I had a tvh on the 20th, so 6 days post. Before I had the surgery I thought sure...I will be back on the job in 3 weeks! There is no way I will be ready. WE only have one chance to heal properly, otherwise we will be subjected to more surgeries, etc. I am not prepared to risk that.

Hope all goes well for you in your recovery.

Rosanna
Unread 11-26-2003, 08:56 PM
Time Off From Work

Hi dbd,

Welcome to Hyster Sisters!!

While I'm sorry that you are facing surgery, I am glad that you found HS and posted to introduce yourself. I had a TVH, with repairs for a rectocele and a cystocele, and don't think I could have gone back to work at 4 weeks, especially to nursing. I have a desk job, and went back at 5 1/2 weeks post-op, and even that was a little bit too soon.

Does your doctor know exactly what your job entails? Do you do a lot of lifting? Bending? Tugging or twisting? Do you work 12 hour shifts, as so many nurses have to do? Please talk about it with him, and tell him that if you don't feel ready to return at four weeks, that you'll call him and ask him to extend your medical leave another week or two.

Have you read the Pre-Op Hints and the Post-Op Hints yet? They are full of great advice that will help you to prepare for your surgery and recovery.

I hope you'll continue to read and to post any questions that you may have - we'll do our best to help.

's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-26-2003, 09:04 PM
Time Off From Work

I am having a TVH on the second of December and my doctor told me that I would be out of work for 6-8 weeks. I work in an office so I don't do any lifting just alot of sitting behind a computer, so I am hoping that she will let me go back earlier if I am feeling up to it.

s
Heather
Unread 11-26-2003, 10:26 PM
Time Off From Work

Take all the time your body needs & as we are all different, this time off can be different too.

I too worked in an office sitting behind a computer, no lifting, etc. I went back just 1/2 days at first, then worked until 3:00, before going back full time. (Thank goodness I had a great boss) I kept my feet elevated under my desk & under my computer desk too.

All in all I was off 8 weeks & am glad I had the time to take off. When you hear, 'don't over do it', that's not just walking, lifting, etc. Somedays I over did it just by being up too long. Tiredness really hit me hard somedays.

Good luck to all.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register