Period after Myomectomy ~ When? Is 2 weeks normal?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Period after Myomectomy ~ When?  Is 2 weeks normal?? Period after Myomectomy ~ When? Is 2 weeks normal??

Unread 08-25-2006, 03:03 PM
Period after Myomectomy ~ When? Is 2 weeks normal??

Dear Sisters

Fifteen days ago I had a myomectomy and D&C, to remove a fibroid that (as it turned out) was connected to a lot of blood vessels, hence all the bleeding I was having.

Surgery went great, and I was amazed how easy the days following were. I posted that I felt amazing, lots of energy again. Until today.

Since I had a period JUST before the surgery, I am surprised to be having another one already, just two weeks after surgery (three weeks from when the last period started). Does that sound normal? Of course it would start less than an hour after my doc's office closed for the weekend!

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has had a myomectomy, or otherwise knows what's normal.

My doc removed the Mirena IUD during the surgery (and it can't go back in until I heal). My recheck is in October and she may reinsert one then, especially given my lab results...
which included evidence of a polyp that the Mirena had dried out. Sometimes I think my uterus has a death wish!

Thanks for being here, even on the weekend~!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-25-2006, 10:57 PM

Hi Kythe,

It's been a long time since my D&C's but when I had them they did seem to upset/reset my cycle.
I hope you do well and can go forward with your plans in October.

Gentle s,
Beth
Unread 08-25-2006, 11:24 PM

I haven't had a myomectomy, but my cycle was thrown off by for some of my D&Cs, which my doc said was expected, it could've come early or late. They said it was due to stress on the body (ie. surgery). I wouldn't worry, but if it's really concerning you, you could try calling the doctor on call over the weekend.

Angelnight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-26-2006, 02:53 AM

Years ago I had a myomectomy. My recollection was very similar to your experience. I too began to bleed fairly early after commencing taking birth control pills. I cannot remember what the course of action was, but they were able to re-set my cycle again. I am sorry that my memory does not serve me. But, they did get it under control after I contacted and visited my Dr. again.
Unread 08-26-2006, 08:45 AM

Hi Kythe

Just wondering if maybe having the IUD removed has something to do with it? My understanding of the Mirena is that it slowly releases progesterone. Low levels of progesterone can cause your period to start early....especially in us women in the peri meno age group because progesterone is often the first hormone to decrease. Hope your period is much easier on you then they have been now that the nasty fibroid is gone!

Cathy
Unread 08-26-2006, 10:26 PM

EVERYONE!!!

I feel much reassured by your posts!

CanadaLady, I think you may be right about the progesterone link.
I don't remember having things go quite like this when I had the D&C in December with placement of the Mirena.

I had to work all day today and while the bleeding hasn't been bad (Hurrah!)
I felt crampy and way too tired.

How tired?
I fell asleep sitting up in a chair
even though I was the only person minding the store!
(No customers at the time, at least.)
I've begun to doze before, back in my anemic days,
but never actually fell asleep and gotten into dream state like today!
I was woken by the phone ringing!!

It all kind of scared me a little.
I didn't think straight the rest of the day...
couldn't remember whether I'd locked the store and went back to check...(I had),
parked my car to do an errand and it wasn't the place I was planning to go...
things like that.

I thought: Am I having little TIAs or is this just what happens as you get old? Blah!
It's apparently what happens when you're exhausted!

Off to slumberland now.

Thanks for being here.
XOXOXXX

Unread 08-27-2006, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kythe

I thought: Am I having little TIAs or is this just what happens as you get old? Blah!
It's apparently what happens when you're exhausted!
Its what happens when you've had surgery hun LOL REST and pamper yourself
Unread 08-28-2006, 10:34 AM

I agree with canadalady 100 percent.

I needed a nap at 4pm for at least 3 mos. after myo...at least an hour a day and this is a gal who was able to take it easy. I did have much easier periods after myo so good luck to you.
My hyst op was way easier but I think that made me do to much too soon.
Bridge
Unread 08-28-2006, 11:22 AM

~ canadalady and Bridge ~

Thanks for the notes about tiredness after a myomectomy.

The thing is...
I had the surgery on the 10th and felt absolutely amazing afterwards ~ even easier than after just the D&C in December ~ loads of energy and very happy about it. But my period started on Day 15 post op and I got sort of tired with it. Not nearly so tired as when I was anemic though. So falling asleep like that felt really weird, since that didn't even happen when I was anemic. Then to keep forgetting what I was in the middle of to that extent, as well, was a bit rattling. I'm still tired, but I'm doing better again. Looking forward to getting past this period. It isn't heavy at least.

Thanks again for responding!!!
Unread 09-01-2006, 05:21 PM

Kythe,
Never hurts to ask the doc for info. especially if it will make you feel better.
Bridge

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register