Gas??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 09-26-2004, 10:00 PM
Gas???

Hi Fellow Sisters!
I've seen some posts about the all dreaded gas! Does everyone have gas after this? Just curious!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2004, 11:21 PM
Gas???

I don't know about every single sister rondaroo....but I know by reading that it hits most of us...but don't be fretting about that now hon...just cross that bridge when you get to it...you will do absolutely fine...HUGS!

Mich
Unread 09-27-2004, 03:51 AM
Gas???

Yep, I had gas afterward for a couple of weeks. but we just laughed it up in the hospital and at home. Dont you know it's socially acceptable to pass gas after a hysterectomy!
Unread 09-27-2004, 05:08 AM
Gas???

Hi

No, not everyone has gas pains, bloating, or other issues involving the bowels. I never had any gas pains, didn't seem to have any gas to pass, so even though they were hearing bowel sounds they gave me an enema so I would pass a little something before they'd let me go home.

And that wasn't due to not eating the day before surgery, or doing a very extensive bowel prep, I ate totally normal the day before (even had a pepperoni pizza as my "last" meal) and only had to have an enema before bed.

I drank ice cold ginger ale with a straw not long after surgery, and that didn't even cause any gas pains.

So you see, everyone is different! No one can promise you that you won't have them, or that won't feel like you are going to pop. Be prepared by having something like gas-x at home, and ask for it in the hospital too (but don't take it with you, that's a no-no). Walking helps move it along, and rocking in a rocking chair also does a good job also.

Best wishes.
Unread 09-27-2004, 09:33 AM
Gas???

I am 3 days post-op, came home last night. I had a SAH.
I had a bit of gas, but no "dreaded" gas pains like you hear about. I am still passing gas, but I really do feel fine. I am sore, at the incision site and tired, but no major double me over gas pains.
You will do fine.....really the build up to the surgery is worse than anything else. Keep your chin up! If you need anything, let me know. Please do not worry, worrying is the worst part. Trust God, He will see you through.
Nancy
Unread 09-27-2004, 12:25 PM
Gas???

if i go to my scrapbooking weekend the week after surgery (see my post "calling all LAVH", will i be "passing gas" the whole weekend and gross everyone out??????????
Unread 09-27-2004, 06:10 PM
Gas???

I had minor pain from the air trapped in my abdominal cavity after my LAVH but it relieved itself pretty quickly...within a day or so. It just dissipated. I had no other gas pains or bloating at all.
Unread 09-28-2004, 06:42 AM
Gas???

yes it helps! just a little nervous about such a gross subject! ew
Unread 09-28-2004, 10:14 AM
Gas???

I don't know if anyone's said this, but during surgery you are filled up with air/gas, etc so that the doc can better see all the organs. They did it with my tubal ligation and they did it with the hysterectomy. 2nd day after surgery, I went home at 10:30. At noon, I was in the bathroom crying and relieving gas. At 1:00 I was chugging prune juice, and by the 3rd day all gas was gone.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register