Hysterectomy age 42 for endo - tired of being in pain and worried about keeping ovaries | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy age 42 for endo - tired of being in pain and worried about keeping ovaries Hysterectomy age 42 for endo - tired of being in pain and worried about keeping ovaries

Unread 09-02-2014, 01:47 PM
Hysterectomy age 42 for endo - tired of being in pain and worried about keeping ovaries

I'm having a hyster sept 25th. Dr said she doesn't want to remove ovaries cause I'm only 42. I don't know what to do... I have endometriosis and fibroids and don't want the endo to come back. I'm tired of being in pain. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-02-2014, 07:04 PM
Re: Rep

You can say you want it all gone to maybe prevent further surgeries.
Unread 09-02-2014, 07:33 PM
Hysterectomy age 42 for endo - tired of being in pain and worried about keeping ovaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyn n View Post
You can say you want it all gone to maybe prevent further surgeries.
She said if unwanted or all gone she would remove everyrhing bit them I'm afraid of taking the hormone replacement. Too many decisions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-02-2014, 07:46 PM
Re: Rep

Hi Nai1228 to HysterSisters!-

Having a hysterectomy or oopherectomy (removing your ovaries) does not cure endo. You have to have an expert remove the disease. Here are some articles that discuss this:
Can Endometriosis Return after a Hysterectomy?
Does an Oophorectomy and No Estrogen Cure Endometriosis?
Excision or Hysterectomy for Endometriosis?
Endometriosis and HRT

You also do have to be concerned about surgical menopause at age 42, and the health issues that can occur because of that. Speak to your doctor about the pros and cons of this surgery with your current situation.

I know all of this can really make your head spin. We have lots of women on this site with endo. Hopefully one of them will see this post and respond with their experience.

Unread 09-02-2014, 08:07 PM
Re: Hysterectomy age 42 for endo - tired of being in pain and worried about keeping ovaries

I have had severe endometriosis. Pre hysterectomy I had laparoscopic surgery to remove it, fibrous cysts and other cysts. My uterus was super swollen as if I was 4 mos. PG along with periods that were only a few days apart and non ending. My now concern is that some of the endometriosis was around my ureter and I don't know yet if my gyno was able to get it during hysterectomy or not yet. I also had Lupron therapy for four months in between laparoscopic surgery and hysterectomy. It did shrink my uterus enough that my gyno was satisfied to do vaginal hysterectomy. I was given no guarantee that the endometriosis either could or could not grow back. It is something I will have to keep in mind and consider for the rest of my life.
I hope this helps.
Unread 09-02-2014, 08:27 PM
Re: Hysterectomy age 42 for endo - tired of being in pain and worried about keeping ovaries

PS I still have my ovaries. My uterus and cervix are now removed. The answer to whether or not you keep your ovaries is a decision to have made between you and your gyno. I agreed to keep mine if they are healthy. If they weren't I agreed to have them removed. Cervix, same thing.
Unread 09-02-2014, 09:03 PM

I'm 5 days post op from my hysterectomy, had my ovaries removed. I had severe Endo, fibroids...My Dr. suggested I have my ovaries removed, due to all of the failed treatments I've received, and the constant pain. Needless to say, I'm glad she removed them and I'm 32. I know it's not a cure for the Endo. I will start HRT in 6 months, so the Endo that my Dr. didn't see during surgery, will have a chance to "lay low". Not looking forward to menopause, but I'll take it over the years in agony I endured. Hope this helps hun!
Unread 09-02-2014, 09:51 PM

I'm 48, well, let's just go with 49 since I'll be that this month! My doctor suggested leaving ovaries, I requested removal. At the time I had no idea I had not only endometriosis, but adenomyosis, fibroids (many) and cysts on my ovaries. I don't know if the endo will return or not, but glad the ovaries are gone so at least I know they aren't the "new" problem. If I'd known about the cysts I'd have done it for sure, the endo just made me feel better about it after the fact. I've been taking hormones (birth control) since I was 19 for cramps and pain and then the heavy bleeding, I guess I felt a few more years wasn't going to be a big deal. Now reading the endo can return especially with HRT... I don't know, but I guess either way, I will be finding out. Here's to keeping my fingers crossed it won't return.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register