Been there Done That and I got the XXL Tshirt! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) > Hints from Members

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Been there Done That and I got the XXL Tshirt! Been there Done That and I got the XXL Tshirt!

Unread 02-11-2005, 06:29 AM
Been there Done That and I got the XXL Tshirt!

Home at last!!! I came home yesterday from my LAVH on Tuesday.

I posted a lengthy overview in the Princess story area - so I won't repeat myself, everything went very well, and I thought of a few things that might be helpful to other Ladies in Waiting....

For the hospital:

1. I found that with the drugs, I couldn't concentrate on much of anything. Catalogs were my favorite "reading" material - we get so many of them in the mail that I had DH bring me a big stack and I kept a notepad and pen nearby to jot down stuff that I thought I might want to review later (after the drugs wore off!). Magazines about home and garden are good too - not too many words, but really nice relaxing pictures!

2. Bring your own pillow! Not only is it comforting, you'll have a nice cushion for the ride home to keep the seatbelt from attacking you.

3. Chapstick and hard candies. I cannot tell you enough how DRY your mouth will probably be after anesthesia. I'm sure it took a whole day for me to get rid of the cotton mouth!

4. Oral B makes textured tooth wipes called Brush-Ups. This is great for getting that "Ick" feeling out of your mouth before you feel like getting up and brushing your teeth. They're reasonably cheap and disposable.

5. Have a nurse or DH or someone move a trash can next to your bed. Aside from being a nice touch and helping you to keep your space neat and tidy, if you feel nauseous, it's a comfort to know you aren't going to have to scramble to get up or anything if you need to be sick. I was nauseous after I had to have the catheter put back in, so I was tethered to the bed with the "pee bag", it hurt trying to get up, and there was no trash can in reach. Talk about stress and upsetting. Oy!

At Home:
1. Clean sheets are a really nice thing to come home to - especiallly if your home recovery room is your bedroom you share with DH, the cats, the dogs, etc...

2. If you can't afford the Abnostrain, or didn't think you'd need one - have a scarf, jump rope, or other such thing at hand to tie to the footboard to help you get up. I didn't think I'd need it, but it has made a HUGE difference having that extra help getting to a sitting position. I especially like it for the middle of the night - I don't like waking up DH if I don't have to.

3. A overbed table is a WONDERFUL thing. I got one from Ebay for about 60 bucks (including shipping). It was easy to put together (according to DH) and though not as "deluxe" as the ones in the hospital, perfectly servicable for home meals, laptop use, reading, writing, etc. And has wheels so it can be pushed away easily.

4. Mini Fridge. My DH and I got one of those "desktop" fridges that you can also plug into the cigarette lighter in the car - holds about a 6 pack or so of soda... he plugged it in for me and put it on a stool next to the bed so I can grab a can of lemonade or iced tea or diet sprite whenever I need/want to. I also have water by the bed, but I'm kinda weird in that I don't like my water to be too cold.

5. Speaking of water ... crystal light just came out with their "on the go" packets that you put in a .5L bottle and voila! you have lemonade, iced tea, raspberry something or another.... nice change from plain water and no carbonation.

6. I made some meals ahead of time, and also went grocery shopping for snacks, ingredients to make things DH is good at cooking. To make it easier for us both, I also made a list of what was where, what we had, and marked a couple easy recepies for him. Then when he asks me what I want to eat, I can look at the "menu" of things we have on hand.

Ok... that's all I have for now... time for Vicodin, potty break and a good long nap!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2005, 08:47 AM

Thank you for all the helpful hints, I printed them out LOL They will come in handy. Glad your home. Hope you recovery is a speedy one.
Unread 02-11-2005, 09:08 AM

Thanks for all the advice. I can use all I can get. Sounds like you are having a pretty decent recovery. Mine is in a couple of weeks. Shoo, so far away, yet so close. So I'm getting a little anxious. LOL. How long was your surgery? I read your Princess story, but I don't recall you saying.

Remember to take good care of yourself,
Donna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2005, 12:13 AM
Hurrah! You're home!

I've been watching for your returned-from-castle post. I'm delighted to discover that you're home so soon and in
good spirits.

I also appreciate all the tips. WOW! How thoughtful of you!

Please keep in touch as you recover. I hope you'll heal quickly and completely.

Keep well,
IslandScribe
Unread 02-12-2005, 01:53 AM

Really happy to hear you're home and resting. You seem in very good spirits, so glad.

So nice of you to post these tips for us "ladies in waiting", thank you. I've ever seen the "Brush Up's". I'm trying to get everything 'ready', such as washing my sheets to make them all nice and clean and fresh. My puppy will be even more spoiled, although she's not going to be able to get near me much with her spunky, playful ways I have a pull-out table near my bed so I can place drinks, books, etc., on it, easier for sure.
The fridge is a bit down the hall, but I think I'll be ok there.
Crystal Light sounds nummmyyy!! Forgot about that.

This was really nice for you to post s

Samantha
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register