Thought I was doing good - now I wonder... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Thought I was doing good - now I wonder... Thought I was doing good - now I wonder...

Unread 04-01-2009, 05:17 PM
Thought I was doing good - now I wonder...

I had my TAH 3/11 so I'm 3 wks post op today! It seems as if my recovery is going well. I'm on Norco but only at night and getting through my days with 400 mg Motrin. I have started doing a little more, out for lunch a couple of times or dinner with the family, and even went to the mall by myself for about an hour the other day. Unfortunately, I've been in more pain the last 3 to 4 days and my swelly belly is worse. I really don't feel like I'm overdoing it - it really boosts my spirit to see my friends and buy myself a new shirt and sweatpants but I can't ignore the fact that I'm in more pain.

I've also noticed that my pain is different now than my first two weeks. I'm getting some cramping feelings in my lower back that radiate to my front as well as some sharp, stabbing pains on my sides but above my overies. I also have a small area of my insision that has pulled apart and is red (its been this way for about 10 days but my nurse friend didn't think I needed to be concerned about it). I had a cold going into surgery and was running a low-grade fever (99.8) and have been running between 99.4 and 100.4 since my surgery. I haven't bothered to call because it wasn't over 101. Any advice is appreciated - don't know if I just had a false sense of well being and am pushing to fast or if my minor little complaints add up to something more serious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2009, 06:59 PM
Re: Thought I was doing good - now I wonder...

I would call your doctor about the fever and the pain just to be safe. I can say my pains have changed a little but not drastically since my surgery. My belly swells when I sit up to much or when I am more active than normal. When it swells I spend most of the night with a ice pack over it to help the swelling go down.

I hope you feel better!
Unread 04-01-2009, 07:05 PM

The pain, the open, red incision and the fever are good reasons to call the doctor. I hope you feel better soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2009, 06:51 AM

I agree, I would call just to be on the safe side.

Having said that, my body started feeling different last Saturday, the first day of my fourth week post-op. My swelly belly has come back full force, and I feel crampy as well. I have a small pocket of fluid above my incision which I understand should reabsorb, but I am keeping an eye on it. I have had the constant fear I am overdoing it - not lifting or vacuuming, but doing many of the things I would normally do.

Maybe this is just another step in the healing process. Because you are running a fever, though, I would call if I were you.
Unread 04-02-2009, 09:50 AM

Definitely call your doctor. The fever might be a sign of a long term infection working in the background. Thats the last thing you need, as it will slow your recovery.

Don't overdo - and avoid stress (almost impossible if you have a "DH").
Unread 04-02-2009, 12:54 PM

Hi my surgery was the same as you so we are both post op 3 weeks one day today. I have had alot of swelly belly but I dont lay in bed at all in the run of the day and havent sents I came home from the hospital. I have been having alot of problems with pressure when I go to the restroom I am not sure if it is my bladder which I had problems with right after surgery I came home for about a week with a cath. Also I do lots of things I shouldnt like the dishes and keepin my 2 and 3 yr old nieces. I hope I havent done nothing that is gonna come back to bite me. I also go shopping at the store and other things around town. Anyone have any suggestions.
Unread 04-03-2009, 08:30 AM

Thanks everyone for the support. I did call my DD yesterday and they did want to at least have the nurse check it out. They felt that it was more of a skin irritation then a deeper infection. They also suggested that I may have a stich or two trying to work its way out rather than simply dissolving. Just like my DH, they reminded me that I had major surgery and that even though I was feeling better, being on my feet for hours at a time was going to cause more pain etc... I go back next Wed. to have my 4 week checkup with the DD.
Unread 04-03-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyred View Post
Thanks everyone for the support. I did call my DD yesterday and they did want to at least have the nurse check it out. They felt that it was more of a skin irritation then a deeper infection. They also suggested that I may have a stich or two trying to work its way out rather than simply dissolving. Just like my DH, they reminded me that I had major surgery and that even though I was feeling better, being on my feet for hours at a time was going to cause more pain etc... I go back next Wed. to have my 4 week checkup with the DD.
Good to hear. Be sure not to tell you DH he was right - a bit too much for a male ego. Also, make sure to bring up any other problems or concerns you have at your 4 week and 6 week check-ups. Lastly - be careful, just because you have good days, you are not completely healed/recovered and under no circumstance ready for sex (even though your DH may try to convince you otherwise) until cleared by your doc - and even then most of us have needed a bit more time to try to restart our libido.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register