Must Haves and Have Nots | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) > Hints from Members

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Must Haves and Have Nots Must Haves and Have Nots

Unread 03-09-2015, 10:33 AM
Must Haves and Have Nots

I had a daVinci hysterectomy on Feb. 27 that included removal of my cervix, tubes and ovaries. I had surgery in the afternoon, spent one night in the hospital, and was discharged at lunch time the next day. I read a lot of tips on this site, and packed an overnight bag for the hospital. A lot of what I packed stayed in the bag! So I thought I would share what worked and what didn't.

I wore a camisole, granny panties, yoga pants, a zipup hoodie and Ugg boots to the hospital, and wore the same outfit home.

When I was taken to my room following surgery, the nurse helped me change into my own underwear with pad from home, a camisole, and pajama pants. I put a hospital gown over this with the opening in the front, so that it acted as a robe, and wore the socks I was given in preop with the grippies on them for strolling the halls.

Must Haves:

Lip balm! This can not be stressed enough!
Halls Vitamin C drops for scratchy, dry throat
Cell phone and charger
Toothbrush/toothpaste (I am picky!)
Snacks (I am picky! and I have a nut allergy!)
Daily medications (My hospital charges top dollar to dispense meds, or you can bring them from home, and allow the nurse to document that you took them.)
Pads (I brought a huge bag, because I anticipated heavy bleeding. Just a few would have been sufficient, and in fact, I switched to panty liners once I came home)
Hand lotion (I am picky!)
Deodorant (I am picky!)
Skin care and makeup (I brought a package of Simple facial cleansing cloths, which was marvelous, moisturizer, and bb cream. I also added eyeliner, mascara and a tinted lip balm. I didn't have to fuss with a full face of makeup, but I was able to look presentable for visitors in just a few minutes)
Reading glasses (These are very important, as you will have to sign consent forms, discharge instructions, etc)
Hand sanitizer (I brought a small one that I could leave on my table for before meals, and for guests to use.)

Things that never left the bag:

Magazines/book
Slippers
Robe
Ipod
Laptop and charger
Extra socks, undies, pajamas

Things I wish I had packed:

My own pillow. Hospital pillows are awful

The very best thing I purchased:

A week before surgery, I picked up a few pairs of Hanes men's pajama pants at Walmart. They are a very soft cotton with elastic and drawstring waist. They have been a godsend! I bought a small, which is huge on me. I can either pull them all the way up over my belly and incisions, or roll the waist band down and let them hang under the incisions. They also have pockets, which I love, because I live alone, and I was able to carry my phone in my pocket in case of a fall or other emergency. I can see myself wearing these long after my recovery is over! They are so comfy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register