New to the board | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New to the board New to the board

Unread 04-05-2004, 12:53 PM
New to the board

Hi everyone,
I'm just found this board this afternoon after doing lots of browsing around the Internet looking for a place where I could learn from others who are experiencing the same things I am. I'm 37 and scheduled for my hyst on 4/16. As the date draws nearer I'm getting more and more nervous! I am really excited about life post-surgery, but feel like I still have lots of questions. I'm looking forward to getting to know you here and learning from you!

4windsfarm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2004, 01:01 PM
New to the board

I'm very new here, too! But, I wanted to say glad you found the site. It is so nice to be around other women that are going through exactly what I'm going through. I have felt like this is a very safe place to ask questions without getting the usual look from people of - oh, no, she's talking about that again.

I look forward to getting to know you and traveling this journey with ya!
Unread 04-05-2004, 01:16 PM
New to the board

I'm new here too and scared to death. My hubby is not the most patient person, though I know he tries. My parents are about 1400 miles away and I really have no family close to me except my kids and him. He works construction and since the season is really starting to rock-and-roll I won't have him home with me except the day of my surgery. Does anyone else have experience with being home alone after being in the castle. My gyn said I'll probably only be in the hospital for 2 days. Has anyone bought special "aids" to help them get by while being home alone during the day. I found someone elses story about what they did right, so I went and bought a bed wedge and have ordered a bedside fridge. Also, how long til the hotflashes start or the mood swings? Scared of that more than anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2004, 01:18 PM
hello

I'm new too.
In the short time I've been here, I have learned sooooo much. This is a safe place where you can discuss the things that you wouldn't DREAM of talking to anyone else about.

Only here can we find the humour in discussing gas, bloating, blood clots the size of a small city, having to pee every 4 minutes, and being in enough pain to knock over an elephant.

Welcome sister on your journey to becoming a princess. I was unsure about this site for the first minute, then I decided to post. The outpouring of love and support is unbelievable.

sending you a

Tam
Unread 04-05-2004, 01:57 PM
thanks everyone!

Wow...this really is a great site. I am amazed by the honesty and support I've seen as I browsed the posts. I think it will help SO much to go through this journey with the sisters! It's great to meet the other "newbies"...I'm looking forward to getting to know you all.

I have endo with likely adeno; my problems are more bleeding-related than anything else. I've been battling it for years and I'm SICK of it!!! I'm scheduled for a laparoscopic subtotal hyst with possible BSO. I am really wavering back and forth about the BSO...my mom had a total hyst/BSO about 20 years ago and has said that her only regret is not having had it done sooner. She is recommending that I have the BSO to diminish further endo symptoms. My surgeon (who I really trust and respect) is planning a "wait-and-see" approach to the BSO. He'll decide whether to take the ovaries after he gets the lap in there to look around, unless I decide I really want them out, in which case he'll take them for sure. I'll be looking for stories from those of you with experience in this area during this decision process.

I am very, very lucky in that my husband, parents, and in-laws are all nearby and very supportive. I haven't had to worry about how I'm going to keep the house running while I'm recovering.

Tiggher, I'm sure that you'll find lots of great advice here from those who've BTDT. BTW, what is a bed wedge?
Unread 04-05-2004, 02:07 PM
New to the board

4winds
Hi, I'm in pretty much the same boat as you....trying to decide whether or not to keep my ovaries.

I'm 33....so menopause at this stage seems kinda undesireable. That said, a return of endo following removal of my uterus sounds even MORe undesireable. My problems are more pain related. I mean yeah, there's the bleeding issue, but i only do that for about 7 days of the month (really heavy and gross), and I only spot occasionally. So....what I really want is to get rid of CONSTANT 24-7 back pain and sharp pulling pains.

I know there is always the chance of the endo growing back. Actually it's almost guaranteed. But I'm thinking I'll probably keep my ovaries (or at least one) for now if I can. If I need to have one more lap to remove them and any more endo I can live with that.

these are just my thoughts.

Tam
Unread 04-05-2004, 02:08 PM
New to the board

4windsfarm

A bed wedge is a pillow basically that is about 1 inch thick on one side and 12 inches think on the other. It keeps you from laying flat and it makes it easier for you to sit up without straining. I'm also going to get a toilet lift which is like a thicker toilet seat (about 4-5 inches). I personally don't have anything to grab onto when rising from the toilet, so thought that might help me get up when I'm home alone recouping. Hope this info helps.
Unread 04-05-2004, 03:54 PM
New to the board

Hi everyone, I'm new too. (Well, I've been lurking for a couple of weeks - new to post) This site and all of you are wonderful. It's nice to know there's a lot of others going through the same thing. My surgery is April 12 - one more week!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register