Help Hormones or Thyroid still not right | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help Hormones or Thyroid still not right Help Hormones or Thyroid still not right

Unread 05-17-2008, 01:17 PM
Help Hormones or Thyroid still not right

I'm post op 18 months and am still not right! I have gained 10lbs in 2 months, all around my belly, have hot flashes, night sweats and extreme fatigue. I can't even spend an hour in the yard before I need to sit down. I feel like I need a nap? I also feel really dizzy at times--may be due to new dose of thyroid medicine?????

I've just gone to an endocrinologist for the first time and she increased my tyroid medicine, but, won't touch the hormones for 2 months--The increase in thyroid medicine has not helped--it's been a week. I'm taking 7.5 DHEA, the .75 Thyroid med, Tri-Est Prog Cream once a day and an additional small dose of testosterone cream also once per day!

I can barely make it through the day without feeling like I need to nap--my thinking is also very foggy and my short term memory is terrible-in addition to the issues I listed above

ANy thoughts or insight would be greatly appreciated. I'm so sick of this-as is everyone around me--atleast I'm not mood swinging!

Thanks to all of you on this board--it has been a life saver!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2008, 01:32 PM

i think thyroid med changes take longer than a week to make a difference. it really sounds more like a hormone imbalance. why wont the dr change your hormones for 2 months?
Unread 05-17-2008, 02:05 PM

Good question: She says she doesn't want to change more than one med at a time so that she can see what's causing what--I kNOw it's hormone related--the weight gain, hot flashes etc. are a dead giveaway! I think I need more estrogen but I don't know---I just feel horrible--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2008, 02:13 PM

i'm so sorry you feel so bad..i hope it gets resolved soon. if you dont feel better soon or even worse, be persistant with her and tell her that you really need help. i've been on syntroid (137mcg now) for years and even when it was off, i've never had hot flashes or night sweats.
Unread 05-17-2008, 03:04 PM

Thanks so much! I think you're right--It can't be all thyroid--The fatigue and foggy thinking is the worst! I can't stand not being able to think clearly--
Unread 05-17-2008, 07:58 PM

((((((SueLiz))))))) I know just how you are feeling. I am only 7 months post-op TAH/BSO but I'm still not "right" either. I am also hypothyroid. My gynecologist who did the surgery is an excellent surgeon but admits she knows very little about hormones. I made an appointment with an endocrinologist who supposedly was knowledgable about thyroid hormones and female hormones. I scheduled the appointment in January but couldn't see her until MAY! When I got there she said my thyroid numbers looked fine and that she didn't know anything about female hormones. I was shocked!! I said, "Was I misled?" and she nodded and said yes. I was SO disappointed. Anyway, I am trying one more time. A friend who is a nurse and lives about 2 hours away recommended an ob/gyn who she says knows a lot about hormones and works with many women with hormonal imbalances. I don't really want to go that far but I live in a small town and really don't have any other choice. I did look her up on-line and found her under SuggestADoctor and she did have very positive reviews from her patients. Anyway, I'm right there with you and know how frustrating it can all be.

Blessings, Lisa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register