Two days and counting | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Two days and counting Two days and counting

Unread 01-20-2012, 08:10 PM
Two days and counting

Two days to go. Hubby and I went grocery shopping to fill the cabinets for the kids. He got easy meals to prepare for the first week. I feel like I'm so unprepared. No pillow pet, no belly binder, no grabber. I was so overwhelmed with everything I've read & heard I just don't know what to expect. Doc said she will keep me in hosp for 2 to 3 days. Hoping for two. I'm scared of what the recovery is going to be like.

We were suppose to have a memorial for my dad tomorrow but we're expecting a storm in NY so my mom postponed it (thankfully). I'll get as much cleaning done as I can and try not to think about this too much!

Budget. Is very tight can I do without the binder, pillow pet, grabber & all the other gadgets? Hoping that the love & support of hubby & kids can get me through this.

Best wishes to all the sisters. Thanks for all the support here!!!

Oh and one more thing..... GO GIANTS!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2012, 08:31 PM
Re: Two days and counting

I've got surgery on Mon & just wanted to wish u luck. I don't have the belly binder or grabber thing either! we do what we can!! focus on what u CAN do & get healthy soon! hugs :-)
Unread 01-21-2012, 08:03 AM

There are a lot of women here who have the surgery and don't use any of the "gadgets," so I wouldn't worry about it too much. You can use any pillow to offer support when coughing, laughing, sneezing, etc. Some women like the binder, some don't. The grabber is the only thing that I bought, and I've only used it a few times. The no bending rule was the most difficult for me, but if I had to pick up something, I made sure to bend at the knees, not the waist. My hubby was home with me for the first two weeks, and my 12 year old son loved helping me. So it sounds like you have great support and will do just fine! Best of luck to you, and we'll see you on the other side!

PS -- Yes, go Giants!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2012, 08:43 AM

I'll be right behind you, mine is Tue. I also am not buying the gadgets. Having great kids and a wonderful husband will be all that we need. Chin up, and see you on the other side.
Unread 01-21-2012, 06:04 PM

Thanks Sisters. Yokosuka, hugs and best wishes to u too! I'll c you on the other side.
Unread 01-21-2012, 06:19 PM

My kids are my grabbers, lol. Your hospital might have a binder to give you, ask your nurse! A pillow pet is adorable but really is just a small pillow which they should have available for you at the hospital. If not ask for one and hold it firmly against your tummy when you get out of bed and do any walking or moving around! Be sure to bring it home to put between your tummy and the car seat on the drive home. Except for lip balm I did not touch anything else in my hospital bag.

Recovery and the unknown is so, so scary. Honestly except for getting out of bed the first time all the unknowns and pre-surg jitters were way worse than recovery. Remember that the hardest part is just getting out of that hospital bed the first time and it gets way easier each time. You'll be amazed at your improvement from week to week. The first 10 days are the hardest, set up a nice little recovery area for yourself next to your bed. I was able to start lying and sleeping on my side with the help of the binder and a pillow firmly against my tummy after about a week. Remember you can always send someone to get a binder for you at a medical supply store if you need it.

It is slow but steady and just takes time more than anything.
You'll have pain meds and it sounds like your hubby is there to support and help you. Ask a friend to set up meal delivery for the first 2-3 weeks - one of my friends used takethemameal.com and posted the sign up on facebook, what a wonderful thing that has been!

Unread 01-21-2012, 07:56 PM

If you are having laparoscopic surgery you won't need a grabber , or a binder , and you can use any pillow . I only used my pillow pet ( NY Giants Bear ) to lay on my stomach so my little dog wouldn't jump on my belly. If isn't wasn't already given to me I wouldn't have gotten one. You are good to go - maybe bring sanitary napkins of your choice and Chapstick . Good luck !
Unread 01-21-2012, 09:39 PM

I had lap and the binder has been a lifesaver for me. I am actually wearing it right now and I'm 3+ weeks out. I can't bend but use my toes or ask my kids to pick stuff up.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register