My surgery is Thursday and I'm just now finding time to freak out! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My surgery is Thursday and I'm just now finding time to freak out! My surgery is Thursday and I'm just now finding time to freak out!

Unread 01-09-2007, 07:24 PM
My surgery is Thursday and I'm just now finding time to freak out!

I've either been too busy at work or in denial, but my surgery is just 2 days away and I'm just now starting to get really scared.

I'm scared of the pain, yeah. But mostly I'm scared of the hospital stay. God, I hate hospitals! And I take coumadin normally, so I'm afraid of bleeding to death (yes, I'm off of it for now) and I'm also afraid of getting a blood clot because of being off the bloodthinner and laying in a **** bed all day!

I've never had major surgery like this so I'm nervous. Blah!!!

Also...question for you all. Right now I get a lot of really clear, Vaseline-like discharge right before my period (I'm assuming it's cervical mucus, but I dunno). Can I hope for this to go away once I have the surgery? And what about that feeling of peeing my pants? I'm getting tired of that. Will that go away?

Urrgh!

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2007, 08:02 PM

What we build up in our minds (our fears) is almost always worse than what comes to pass.....

Honestly, the first 36 hours are really bad. I think a big part of that is the staples. I know I felt a lot better once they were out. But you just have to stay in tune with your pain meds/pump and also stay on gas tabs to help minimize that. One thing to keep in mind. If you feel gassy, try to get on your left side. I found the 2nd night this was the only way I could fart (and god I needed to). I would hit the pain pump and roll on my side.

I had that mucus discharge for the 4 or 5 years before my surgery, I haven't had it since even though I kept my cervix.

I had bladder pressure issues due to the size and location of my fibroids. Post-Op, I still feel a little more urgency than say 2 years ago but it is nothing like Pre-Op.

Best wishes with your surgery and recovery. Feel free to ask anything either here or PM me.

Julie
Unread 01-09-2007, 08:10 PM

My surgery is also Thursday and I have had to keep myself busy or I would freak out! I have been on the verge of tears all day. I also get to start my bowel prep tomorrow and I am not looking forward to that at all! I wish you the best of luck Thursday and will be thinking all of us going in Thursday! (((HUGS)))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2007, 08:11 PM

I am just 5 weeks out of the castle. I did not have stiches on the outside or staples. I was stitched on the inside and glued on the out. Very nice scar. It will be a light one I think. The mucus stuff I used to get all of the time beofre my period I always thought it was the unfertalized egg passing through?????????? Anyway, I am not sure if I will do that anymore or not I no longer have a cervix, overies, or uterus. My OBGYN took it all out Don't be bervous, if you are freaking out to bad once you get to the hospital they can give you something that will help. Good luck, stay up on the pain meds and use the button if you need to move. I did not have much pain, after that first 24 hrs. I really did not have problems with gas either, everyone is different. I just wished my doc would have written Ibprofin or tylonol on my chart as okay. I got a heck of a headache from the pain med in the IV and had to wait for the doc to oaky it. Best wishes as you head to the castle
Unread 01-09-2007, 08:22 PM
Freakin out is Okay!

I did the same thing only two days before my surgery was New Years Eve - so I messed that up pretty bad The hospital folk knew what I was feeling without me saying it and provided a wonderful support team as well as drugs to relax you. I agree the first 36 hours are bad but you have the relief that it is over to help get through it. Best wishes and my prayers are with all of you.
Unread 01-09-2007, 08:43 PM

Being the antsy type, I didn't linger in bed. As soon as I was able, I annoyed the nurses by doing shuffling laps around the ward, talking like the announcer at the Kentucky Derby when I caught them looking at me.

Try not to freak. The drugs are good stuff if you ask for them when you first start needing them and don't try to "suck it up." For once in our lives, we're allowed to be wussy little Princesses for a whole 6-8 weeks! Hey, enjoy it. Pretty soon you'll be back to attempting to be Superwoman, same as the rest of us.

Now where did that big pink S go? Oh, yeah...the laundry

Lena
Unread 01-09-2007, 08:48 PM

My surgery is Monday and I am also on coumadin. I have been on it for 18 years and this will be my 4th surgery since being on it. I've never had any problems from going off it. This time tho, the Dr is putting me on lovenox 3 days prior to surgery. These are injections that I have to give myself in the abdomen. good luck and God bless!
Unread 01-10-2007, 06:30 AM

Thanks everyone!

I wonder why I don't have to have a bowel prep? Hmmm....maybe because I'm having it done laporascopically (or however you spell that)? In fact, the only restriction I got was "no food or drink after midnight".

Do you think the pain will still be as bad for me if they're doing the lap?

Like I said, I don't even care about the pain, I just hate being in the hospital.

Thanks for all your help!
Unread 01-10-2007, 10:01 AM

My husband thought it was pretty funny that I didn't freak out AT ALL, not even a teeny bit nervious until I got out of the car in the parking lot of the hospital.

Then, suddenly, it was like a million little spiders were running around in my stomach.

I felt really gipped though, because I had to lay in the operating ward, all prepped and ready to go, with none of the happy drugs until the liver biopsy doc came in with the release form. I laid there all by myself in this cold sterile room for 1/2 an hour. Was I nervous then? You betcha.

But, no need for me to be nervous over anything. It all went without a hitch. Today is day 5 and I'm not even taking OTC pain meds. I feel as if I've never had surgery.

...still taking it easy though.
Unread 01-10-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetgeek
But, no need for me to be nervous over anything. It all went without a hitch. Today is day 5 and I'm not even taking OTC pain meds. I feel as if I've never had surgery.
Oh that is nice to know! Whew. I just started a new job last October and it is SO busy. I feel so awful and guilty for having this surgery right now. Blah.

Thanks for replying!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register