Loss of Feeling | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Loss of Feeling Loss of Feeling

Unread 04-08-2005, 02:42 AM
Loss of Feeling

I have done a search on this and couldn't find anything so if this subject has already been discussed, I do apologize.

I had my hysterectomy on March 14th, so I am four weeks in to post-op. I had a horizontal incision and I have no feeling from about two inches below my belly button to just below the incision- on my skin that is. [b]Is this normal? Will the feeling come back?[b] I didn’t discuss this with the OBGYN during my first post-op appointment because I didn’t know about it – I was still having a bit of pain inside so the lack of feeling on the outside wasn't noticed until a couple of days ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2005, 03:49 AM
Loss of Feeling

yes, very normal - the nerves have been cut - the feeling will probably come back but it takes ages - months maybe even years. The feeling did return for me after my myemectomy (but it took at least a year) of course its completely numb again now i've had the hyst.

Odd feeling isn't it? It gives me goose bumps!
Unread 04-08-2005, 08:13 AM
Loss of Feeling

HI!
I had my TAH on March 21st, and my suture site is the exact same way (numbness). I had the same experience with my two c sections, 17 and 20 years ago, and know that even prior to surgey for the hysterectomy I STILL felt some strange sensation at surgical site after all those years. Didn't necessarily bug me, but it is an odd sensation. I believe this will resolve (slowly) but may never be completely the way it was prior to surgery.
Hope all else is going well with your recovery, take good care
Prairie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2005, 09:23 AM
Thank you

prairie and bikery-chicky,

Thank you both so much for your responses. I had no idea any of that happened. Guess my research had some serious holes. But I'm glad to know that I am normal after all. YEAH! And
bikery-chicky, odd feeling is right - I tried something sharp just to make sure my fingers weren't what was failing (just a pair of clippers - didn't hurt myself). That is the weirdest thing!!!

To everyone - This website is amazing. A person can get lost in here.
Unread 04-08-2005, 08:06 PM
Loss of Feeling

HI!.....I WAS 8 WKS POST-OP YESTERDAY.

AND AROUND MY SCAR IS THE SAME WAY.......FREAKS ME OUT WHEN I TOUCH THAT AREA AND ITS NUMB!

I WAS TOLD IT COULD TAKE UP TO A YEAR TO REGAIN THE FEELING!
Unread 04-08-2005, 08:22 PM
told before

My plastic surgeon told me before surgery that I would lose feeling on my whole abdomen, but that most would come back.
He did say that there might be some that never comes back.

I had a huge amount that was really numb for months after surgery. Now at 9+ months after surgery, there is just a small part right in the middle where the vertical and horizontal incisions meet. I hardly notice it anymore-althought if I think about it-it is weird.

Some women end up with chronic pain though, so I will take the numbness if I have a choice.

My good friend had a hyster years ago, and she said she got back some more sensation even 3 years after the hyst.

's and Happy Healing!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register