Pre-Op appointment questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-Op appointment questions Pre-Op appointment questions

Unread 11-17-2012, 01:33 PM
Pre-Op appointment questions

Hi, everyone. I'm scheduled for a TLH on Dec. 5 and am having my pre-op appointment this Monday (11/19). But it's not with the ob-gyn who's doing the surgery or with an anesthesiologist. Apparently, my HMO schedules the pre-op visit with a regular internist in their pre-op clinic. I haven't seen the ob-gyn who's doing the surgery since September, but he's been very good about emailing replies to my questions (the preferred <> method, these days), and he told me I'd talk to the anesthesiologist before the surgery (perhaps in the minutes before it??). I'm assuming the dr. in the pre-op clinic will send me for blood work and an EKG and take a fuller medical history than the medical assistant did over the phone a couple of weeks ago. So far, I know not to take ibuprofen (or fish oil or ginger, etc.) for 10-14 days before the surgery. The ob. hasn't indicated I'll have to do any bowel prep. Is there anything specific I should ask the internist at the pre-op appointment? I'm scheduled for same-day ambulatory surgery (which makes me nervous, since I'm 62, with fibromyalgia and other health problems; I also live alone and have stairs, although my cousin is coming to stay with me for 3-4 days). The gyn. surgeon says they can keep me 23 hours or even longer if there are any problems. I'm assuming I'll get the post-op instructions from the gyn. surgeon. ravella
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2012, 02:43 PM
Re: Pre-Op appointment questions

I do not know about <>, but I had my pre-op visit at the hospital where I was going to have my surgery. They did blood work, EKG, BP, weight, height, and other health-type screening. They also did paperwork and other hospital particulars. My anesthesiologist contacted me by phone the day before my surgery.

Here is some pre-op information for you to look at, with questions that you can ask at your doctor appointments.

Your doctor should provide you with a list of dos and donts in the weeks and days leading up to your surgery. Please follow all of these instructions. They will also let you know if they want you to do a bowel prep. This does vary by surgery and doctor. Under no circumstances should you do one unless they ask you to do one.

Glad you cousin is staying with you a few days. You will need some help.

Unread 11-17-2012, 11:24 PM

Hi Ravella! I'll be making my trip to the castle the same day as you - December 5th! I just went for my pre-op visit this week. Met with my OB/GYN and had another vaginal U/S just to make sure nothing had changed from my last one. I had a list of questions for her that she patiently answered one by one (bless her heart). She game me my bowel prep instructions, told me what time to be at the hospital and gave me post op instructions.
Since I have to have my surgery at the hospital where I work and that isn't her priamary hospital, I have to do my pre-admission bloodwork, EKG, etc at the hospital. Planning to do that a week before surgery.
Hope that helps and nice to know a fellow Dec 5th princess!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-18-2012, 01:53 AM

Hi,
My op is 4th dec and my pre op assessment is 26th nov,
I to have been wandering what to expect,
Thankfully my hubby will be with me so if i forget anything he will
remember.
But thanks for the notes.

lexy.
Unread 11-18-2012, 03:19 AM

I'm a little worried since my doc said he didn't need to do a pre-op appt, but I could if I wanted too. Should I have a pre-op appt? He's been very good about answering questions via phone so I wouldn't have any questions for him and I'd be $35 poorer. Ugh....uncertainties.
Unread 11-18-2012, 01:33 PM

Pre-op screening may be patient specific and doctor preference. You may be young enough that he does not think you need it (blood work, EKG, etc.). Make the decision that is right for you, and for your peace-of-mind.

Unread 11-19-2012, 07:12 PM
Re: Pre-Op appointment questions--and answers

Thanks for all the replies and advice. Let me share my experience, since I just got back from spending over 3 hours at <> (my HMO). First a medical assistant checked my BP and weight, and did an EKG. Then the doctor-- an internist in the pre-op clinic, not my gyn. surg.--went over in great detail all the medications and supplements I take or have taken, did a detailed medical history, and then did a brief physical exam (listening to heart and lungs). I then got a chest X-ray in radiology. I need to go back in a week--when it will be closer to my surgery date--for a lot of blood work, including typing and matching due to the small chance I might need a blood transfusion. I then met with an R.N., who discussed the pre-op routine, what to bring and not bring to the hospital, and answered most of my questions. She said to email the gyn. surgeon about whether I need to do bowel prep., but there's nothing in the file about it, so I hope I don't. Apparently, the newer trend is not to require it. I felt like they were being pretty thorough (especially since I'm a little over 60, and have high blood pressure and various other ailments, so they want to be sure I make it through the anesthesia!). Apparently, I'll probably only talk to the anesthetist (who most likely will be a nurse-anesthetist rather than an M.D.) right before the surgery. My gyn. surgeon is away this week, so I'll email him next week with my more specific questions, and the nurse said he might call me a day or two before the surgery. The nurse herself had a laparoscopic hysterectomy 15 years ago (which is what I'm having), and referred to it as a "humbling experience"--since even laparoscopically, it's still major surgery in spite of one's temptation to see it as minor because it's done laparoscopically. Apparently, the plan is to keep me in the hospital just under 24 hours, assuming all goes as planned. That way, I just have a small outpatient co-pay instead of a much larger hospitalization co-pay. I'm hoping for the best (and hoping they don't find cancer!).
Unread 11-19-2012, 07:48 PM

Sounds like your pre-op was fairly typical - very thorough checking heart, lungs, general health, and blood work. And yes, this is MAJOR SURGERY no matter what method they use. They are removing a major internal organ. You will still have alot of internal healing to do, no matter how they enter your tummy.

My very large complex cyst and multiple uterine fiboids were tested while I was in the OR, and all tissues were benign.

I know it is scary going into the OR not knowing whether it is cancer or not. We are here for you, and understand what you are going through.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register