5 weeks post hysterectomy - still so tired, is this normal? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 weeks post hysterectomy - still so tired, is this normal? 5 weeks post hysterectomy - still so tired, is this normal?

Unread 09-14-2014, 06:07 AM
5 weeks post hysterectomy - still so tired, is this normal?

Hello
I had my hysterectomy on August 12th and I had hoped that I would feel better my now.
After I came home from the hospital I had a stomach flue, which must have irritated the internal wound, which caused severe pains going to the bathroom also I had a bladder infection. Last Monday I went to see my doc, because my feet had become the size of an elephant, and they had found out that my Ferrin was as low as 9 so he gave me Ferrinjekt to which I had a severe reaction.Today Sunday I thought I'd go for a little walk and read the newspaper. It was a 10 minute walk and I sat down at a cafe. I started to read the newspaper read a few sentences I had to stop, tried again and could only read a few sentences at a time, after that I was so exhausted that I had to wait another 15 minutes to gain the strength to get up and go home. Even people talking a little louder made me cringe, a kid playing, poor kid, bothered me. After I had made it home I am crabby, sad, exhausted and shaking like a leaf. Tomorrow I have to see my doc again. How in the world can I go back to work after this week??? I am not even capable of constructing more then 2 sentences in a row. I feel like such a nag having to tell my doc how I truly feel. Hope he understands , hope I understand ( which is probably the mayor factor): At this point I am even too afraid to call my boss, since my doc had told me I could go back to work early..........my mind wants my body to be healthy, my body does give its best but can not succeed yet:confused
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2014, 07:04 AM
Re: 5 weeks post hysterectomy - still so tired, is this normal?

It sounds like you had several things one after the other that have hampered your ability to heal more quickly. I was no longer exhausted at 5 weeks, but I didnt have a stomach virus, a bladder infection and low ferrin after my surgery! Don't hesitate to talk to your dr about how you're feeling.
Unread 09-14-2014, 08:22 AM

Thank you coughy <3 for your loving words
I guess I just don't want to feel ashamed anymore by feeling this exhausted, you helped me realising this is a normal reaction of my body to all which it had to endure pre op, op and post op
Hugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2014, 08:58 AM

All sounds normal to me. You have also been sick on top of everything else.
Give yourself time.
Unread 09-14-2014, 09:25 AM

Recovery is a long job. It took me 16-17 weeks before I felt even remotely normal in the energy department. Be nice to yourself and take it easy. You've been through a lot.
Unread 09-14-2014, 10:05 AM

Would you feel as bad if you had heart surgery? A hysterectomy is just as much a major surgery as heart surgery. Some women tend to play it off, but you really should not be going back to work feeling like you do

Chris
Unread 09-14-2014, 10:17 AM

thank you all so much for your comfort, thanks to these wonderful answers I feel better about me still feeling so exhausted. Never compared a hysterectomy to heart surgery and I admit the hysterectomy is often downplayed even by myself.
The worst setback was the Ferinject last week I was down for 3 days, somehow this was too much on my body. As from now my main goal is to accept the fact that I feel the way I am feeling right now. It took me 2 hours to regenerate from my little field trip and I am still freezing wish I could take a warm bath right now lol. Thanks again I feel pampered and understood by you
Hugs from Switzerland
Unread 09-14-2014, 10:49 AM

Iam in my 5th week almost 6th....feeling quite frustrated . Getting strange jabs and pains in the belly!low on energy ! This recovery is nothing like I had expected , have a little rash in belly buttontoo! Can't wait to feel better ! Hugs to all recovering .
Unread 09-14-2014, 11:18 AM

Bindy
You said it well; it was not what I had expected, me ether lol
Hang in there, hope you will feel better soon. One thing I know for sure after this part is over I will be so glad I have had a hysterectomy, since life before was a huge struggle too.
Guess we have to learn to be patient ...
Hugs to you too
Unread 09-14-2014, 11:27 AM

Look after your self honey!! Yes iam pretty taken aback with the slow process ! But then I had a huge ovarian cyst ( benign ) but my dr took out every thing!!! Appendix, uterus, tubes ,ovaries and cervix ! So I guess I should be v grateful, that all biopsies were clear , but not in my wildest dreams think this wud be so hard!!!xxx

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register