Fibroid removal vs. Hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fibroid removal vs. Hysterectomy Fibroid removal vs. Hysterectomy

Unread 07-12-2007, 02:55 PM
Fibroid removal vs. Hysterectomy

Hmmmm,,,

I feel like I am on a roller coaster right now.

I have friends asking me why I wouldn't "just have the fibroids removed" as opposed to having a "major surgery".

I am 43, I'm sure getting closer each minute to menopause. I don't have any heavy bleeding due to having an Ablation. I due have an enlarged uterus with several large fibroids and other smaller ones. I do have frequent urination and constipation which I'm assuming due to the big uterus/fibroids in there haning around.

I have have an appointment with my ob/gyn on the 23rd of July and I know she'll be able to answer these questions. I just would like to be able to answer intelligently.

I was told a likely hyster by both my GP and the ultrasound tech.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-12-2007, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellnette
I have friends asking me why I wouldn't "just have the fibroids removed" as opposed to having a "major surgery." I just would like to be able to answer intelligently.
My answer would be, "A myomectomy (removal of fibroids) is major surgery."

A friend of mine had a myomectomy to remove fibroids, because she wanted to preserve her uterus in order to have babies. I had fibroids, and had a total abdominal hysterectomy to remove them. Her surgery took longer, she lost more blood than I did, and she was in the hospital more days that I was. After being discharged from the hospital, our recovery times were the same.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Unread 07-12-2007, 04:06 PM

kellnette,

You need to do what is right for you. Don't let friends questioning or pushing make your decision. I had the opposite of you. My friends were telling me to do it & if they were in my shoes, they'd do it in a heart beat. It's not so easy once you are put in the boat to make this decision. I took baby steps to get to where I decided to have my hys. What finally pushed me to it was the horrible periods, severe cramps, & chronic pelvic pain I was having. My gyn & I looked at ablation to start but when my US came back showing a fibroid hanging inside the uterus, that option was gone. I did have bladder work done at the same time. Today, I can say, this is one of the best decisions I've made. Research (I did tons of "Google"ing) & make a list for your gyn. If you are comfortable after seeing her, then go with that. If you still aren't quite sure, get another opinion. From what you've said, you've got numerous fibroids so, who knows, the removal of all of them could be just as major as a hys. There were times I was overwhelmed with my decision so know that this is normal. Inform yourself & do what feels right for you.

Blessings,
Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-12-2007, 05:03 PM

I have over 20 questions already for my gyn, just hearing this from others helps. I am not looking forward to the surgery itself or recovery. But I feel having a hys is my best option. I just don't want to be out camping and have my uterus decide to shed lining that day and end up in the emergency room. Before my ablation I had clots, heavy periods and cramping. I don't miss that every month and NEVER want to go through it again.

I know they care about me deep down and want the best for me all in all but all these questions make you doubt what you are told. My husband is saying do what's going to be best for you.

I have two children ages 19 and 17 and I'm pretty certain we're done with part of my body anyway.
Unread 07-12-2007, 05:03 PM

Hi Kellnette! In 1993 I had a myomectomy at the age of 23. Less than 10 years later, fibroids were back. I have managed to put off the TAH for about four years and several arguments with more than one or two doctors. I have finally given in and am scheduled for August 6th. The only way to ensure that they don't grow back is to remove the uterus. Having not ever had any children, I reflect back and think that I should have done it then (of course hindsight is always 20/20) becuase I don't really ever remember a time when I felt like I had to have children to have a fullfilled life. I have always thought that if being a mother were in the cards, one way or another it would happen. Of course the decision is yours and yours alone - do what YOU think is best for you, don't try to please the people in your life by doing what they think is best for you.

Good luck with your decision.
Unread 07-12-2007, 05:19 PM

kell,

I'm with you. My kiddos are 20, 18, & 16 plus I had a tubal 14 years ago. I'd been done with that particular organ for years so losing it wasn't a big deal. I've seen azsunshine's story repeatedly on this site from other women & have heard the same as she says - you can remove the fibroids but they'll come back or new ones will grow in time - just how long that time is you don't know. And, like she said, the only permanent way to get rid of fibroids is to get rid of the uterus. Yes, your friends care about you but they are not trained medical professionals just as this "sister" is not. We are merely giving you our opinions & experiences. Put the biggest stock in your doc's & the professionals' information. It is a big & scary decision to make. Getting to my hys. date was the worst part of the experience for me. I woke up from the surgery thinking "I got myself worked up for that!" Three days post-op when I would've been starting my next period, I realized I was in less pain than I would've been on my period & my bladder work was awesome! Again, do what is right for you!

Best wishes,
Sue
Unread 07-12-2007, 05:54 PM

Hi Kellnette,

I agree that a hyst and a myomectomy are both major surgeries. I was a former fibroid lady so I can understand some of the feelings you are going through. Fibroids are only cancerous 1% of the time - so a hyst for fibroids is generally elective surgery and can be due to quality of life issues, which it was for me.

As stated by other Hyster Sisters, the major difference between a myomectomy (and alternative procedures) and a hyst is there is a chance that fibroids can grow back with the former. For me, that was something I really gave thought to. I was past child bearing years and not interested in preserving fertility so I wanted surgery only once for my uterus with fibroids. I am still very pleased with my LSH results.

In the end...just do what is best for you. That is what is most important.

Mary
Unread 07-12-2007, 06:39 PM

I had a myomectomy 24 years ago and within about three years had to have the first of two laparascopies to remove the adhesions that formed--plus the fibroids grew back within just a few years. It may be different now, but back then, I had to be in the hospital for about 3 or 4 days--about as long as it would have taken for a hysterectomy, and from the post-op descriptions I've heard for hysterectomies, the recovery was pretty similar in terms of pain, gas, how much time to stay out of work, precautions to take in terms of movement, etc.. The only good thing was being able to have a bikini cut as opposed to a vertical incision, which I wish I could have now but now the fibroids and the uterus are so big this would be impossible.

Although having the myomectomy bought me time (not in terms of having children which I didn't want but in terms of avoiding menopause at an early age) as a result of the myomectomy I now not only have fibroids but all the adhesions which resulted from that surgery--which will likely make the hysterectomy I'll soon need to have a much more complicated ordeal than it might otherwise have been. Also, since you have numerous and large fibroids, a myomectomy may indeed end up being as serious a surgery as a hysterectomy. Consider all your options carefully--whatever you decide to do you will not be able to undo later.
Unread 07-12-2007, 06:43 PM
You Have to Decide What's Right For You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellnette
Hmmmm,,,

I feel like I am on a roller coaster right now.

I have friends asking me why I wouldn't "just have the fibroids removed" as opposed to having a "major surgery".

I am 43, I'm sure getting closer each minute to menopause. I don't have any heavy bleeding due to having an Ablation. I due have an enlarged uterus with several large fibroids and other smaller ones. I do have frequent urination and constipation which I'm assuming due to the big uterus/fibroids in there haning around.

I have have an appointment with my ob/gyn on the 23rd of July and I know she'll be able to answer these questions. I just would like to be able to answer intelligently.

I was told a likely hyster by both my GP and the ultrasound tech.
You must decide what's right for you by gathering together all of your priority's about your life and your body. Only you can make that decision. I'll give you my decision below:

When I found out I had fibroids and that they were big, the decision was easy for me. My doctor and I thought that I had 2 big ones 9 cm and 5 cm. (Turns out I had an enormous one that took up my entire abdomenal cavity which was why they couldn't see it on the ultrasound.)

Anyway, I despise medical procedures and all I could think about was:
1. A hysterectomy would be the first and FINAL medical procedure - the final word to the fibroids.
2. Any other procedure may or may not work and I'd end up having several procedures and then end up having a hysterectomy anyway.

So armed with these facts:
1. I don't want kids.
2. I hate medical procedures.
3. I'm sick and tired of being incontinent, feeling like my abdomen is going to explode, heavy bleeding, abject tiredness from anemia, constipation, never wanting to leave the bed, and many other miserable symptoms.
4. As those hard things keep growing in me they'll probably cause damage to other organs as they grow.

I easily arrived at the decision to have a hysterectomy ASAP and just get it over with. It was a good thing because I didn't even known about the gargantuan one that the ultrasound missed. It even destroyed one of my ovaries and crushed my cervix down to about 1/2 inch.

That was my decision and I am 100% happy about it and am excited about the future and how much better my life will be.

I hope this helps you as you pull together your own facts.
Unread 07-12-2007, 07:57 PM
Thanks for all these answers

Sorry to be long winded..I am currently reading another website which seems like it is pushing everything but the hysterectomy. Every question I have asked on there or times that I have mentioned wanting to have this procedure rather than other "temporary" ones I have gotten such nasty responses. I'm not really even sure why I read that one at this point. I am 40 (41 in October) have a 20 year old daughter and had my tubes tied since 1994. I have always had painful periods but over the past five years it has gotten worse. Major, heavy bleeding, gushing, clots, etc., in addition to the back pain, cramping etc., which require prescription pain medicine just to deal with the day. My doctor did ultrasounds a few times and noticed endometriosis but was advising me to just deal with it as long as I could to avoid a hysterectomy. Last month I'd had enough, as I ended up two weeks late but cramping the whole time. I'd also started to have increased pain in ovulation on the left side, to the point where I would double over. My doctor did a D&C and a laparascopy to check things out and found fibroids. He said there were a few on the outside but there was one submucousal not that big (3 cm) but it's location was the reason for the increase and location of the pain that I was in. His advice to me was that if I was his daughter he would recommend the hysterectomy. I made my decision on the spot and hopefully we're scheduled for 8/29. I have to go back to see him on 8/6 for an ultrasound and to go over the operation in detail. I'm really okay with losing the uterus..at this point it serves no purpose to me and only causes me trouble. I'm nervous about recovery and sexual dysfunction. You hear such horror stories. I really appreciate everything I'm reading on this site!!

Marie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register