Fine one minute and crying the next ... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fine one minute and crying the next ... Fine one minute and crying the next ...

Unread 06-02-2008, 03:26 PM
I'm home almost one week

Hello
Had Surgery on 5/27/08 - complete hysterectomy and have a very large cut down the middle of my belly. The pain meds have been stopped but my main problem and question to all of you is:

I can be in the middle of talking to someone either on the phone or in person and feeling fine, to crying like a fool!
For what reason? I am 57 years old already thru the change and my doc said I won't need hormones, but I'm thinking she is wrong.

Is this something that will pass? Hopefully....please respond.
thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2008, 04:13 PM
Fine one minute and crying the next ...

lin618,

I was in the same after my surgery. My emotions were like a roller coaster. I tried my best not to begin HRT, but ended up taking it and feel so much better! Your doctor could possibly be wrong. If you are not feeling better, I think I would definitely ask her to put you on something.

I hope you are feeling better soon!

Charlotte
Unread 06-02-2008, 04:23 PM

I also had up's and down's. Don't forget you just had major surgery. Your body needs time, as well as your mind, to heal. My doctor told me that the anesthesia can make you feel down or depressed, she said it can stay in your system for several weeks after the surgery. I had no idea about this. I don't know about HRT since you are post-menopause, but a anti-depressant may be in order if you continue to feel this way. My mother could not take HRT during menopause because of breast cancer, but she ended up taking Paxil and that particular anti-depressant got her through very well. I have taken Zoloft over the years after my kids were born because of "baby" blues depression. I had stopped taking it, supervised of course about a year ago, but found out that I really needed it after surgery because I was on a roller coaster of emotions. I still have my ovaries so HRT is not an option for me. Talk to your doctor and ask him/her what your options are. Remember you are not alone at all, many of us have gone through this and made it to the other side. As a side note I am seven weeks post op, working full time, and feeling great. I had an abdominal hysterectomy, keeping my ovaries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2008, 06:33 PM

I had what I called "my meltdown" at about 4 weeks post op and had been going thru perimenopause for at least 8 years before my hyster. I am on 1.25mg of Premarin and it is working great for me. I tried 2 other meds before this and finally found what works for me. I thought my ovaries haven't been working for years, but I was wrong. Still have some brain fuzziness, but feel totally stable now. Just call your doc and explain what you are feeling and see what he/she says. Best wishes
Unread 06-03-2008, 01:46 AM

I had the same type of op.as you and at 55 years old am finding recovery slow.I still feel pretty wiped out most of the time and am having hot flashes like nothing on earth! I thought I was over the menopause as prior to the op. had been on HRT for 5 years,I was obviously wrong! I do hope you begin to feel better soon as it's very early days please take comfort in the knowledge that you are not alone feeling this way.
Unread 06-03-2008, 10:02 AM

I had the same type of hysterectomy and all I can tell you is it gets better with time. Like the other ladies said you just had a major operation and your body needs to adjust to the parts that were just removed remember you had them for 57 years. You'll have some sad days I did I think it was from alot of frustration I was feeling for weeks before the hysterectomy I just finally was letting it all out and thanking God it was all over.

TAH/BSO+Endometriousis and Fibroids

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register