Migraines and Hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Migraines and Hysterectomy Migraines and Hysterectomy

Unread 10-23-2001, 07:34 PM
Migraines and Hysterectomy

Hi Again,

I am wondering if anyone knows if and how a hysterectomy impacts on migraines. I have frequent migraine headaches now and I don't know if having a hysterectomy (without removing the ovaries) can make them worse, better, or not effect the frequency and intensity of such headaches.

Does anyone have any comments?

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-23-2001, 07:56 PM

Wow, it's so interesting that you posted this message because I was just about to ask the same thing. I had a terrible migraine yesterday--probably the worst one I've ever had. I'm still feeling a bit bad today as well, but much better compared to yesterday's agony.

I will be having a subcervical hysterectomy and one ovary possibly removed. Will I still get headaches during my period?

Also, I've noticed that if I have bad cramps I normally go headache free, but if I have very little cramps, I have terrible migraines. After the hysterectomy I will not have any cramps, does this mean I'll have more headaches/migraines?

You can't look at the hormone message board because most of these women do not have their ovaries and are on HRT.

Great question. I hope someone has the answer.
Unread 10-24-2001, 03:51 PM

Just bumping this back to the first page!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2001, 04:17 PM

I was the victim of migraines, often every other day for many months. I had my TAH this past march and (lucky me) I have had RELIEF from migraines since. I am so glad. I kept my ovaries, and I don't get the headaches when I am due for the x monthlies, either.
Unread 10-24-2001, 04:26 PM

Having a hysterectomy and leaving your ovaries should not effect your migraines at all. If your migraines have a hormonal componant to them, you will most likely still have them after the surgery. I had a TVH in 94 keeping my ovaries. No change in migraine frequency. I had my right ovary removed in 98. Still no change. I know that I have other factors that trigger my migraines (stress, odors, bright lights, etc) so I never really thought that much about it. But when I had my last ovary removed in July my migraines are almost completely gone. This is amazing because I was one of those people that had a full blown migraine about 5 days a week. I had endometriosis so I was unable to start HRT right away. After 3 months I started estrogen and my migraines are a little worse but nothing like they were before. If I knew this would effect my migraines, I would have gotten rid of both ovaries in 94!!!
Maybe you will be lucky and reducing stress of having surgery may help aleviate your migraines..... I will cross my fingers for ya!!

Debbie :dragon:
Unread 10-25-2001, 10:32 AM

Having just gone through progressively worsening migraines over the last 2 years (we're talking neurologist and ER visits 2-3 times per month), I have some perspective.

After months of testing, we fairly much determined that my migraines were hormone related. Got worse before periods, which were never regulated, so felt like I was having them all the time. I also happened to be hyper sensitive to estrogen so could not take birth control pills as they aggravated my migraines in strength and frequency. I was put on progesterone which helped with my hot flashes, but we think had the side effect of making my breasts more cystic (breast cancer scare and huge family history of this).

Not to digress to much.....The doctors finally determined with cytsts and endo and migraines that at 35 I should finally have a TAH-BSO. I have never felt so great in years. I have not a migraine since and it is a most wonderful feeling.

I have been put on HRT, which the Dr's are monitoring closely so that they do not increase the dosage to much and don't trip up a migraine. But so far so good.

Patricia
Unread 10-25-2001, 10:50 AM

I'm not sure why but........I had frequent migraines and a headache almost every day. Never really knew why but it seemed like it was always worse during periods. I had a VH but left my ovaries 7 years ago. I haven't had but 2 or 3 migraines since and they were brought on by stress. I don't know the medical explanation but it really made a difference for me. I have been having frequent headaches again, not migraines but some kind of severe and recently found a large cyst on my ovary. I'm not a Dr. but my self diagnosis is that the ovary isn't working so the headaches are probably caused by a hormone imbalance. I'm hoping the HRT after my surgery will take care of them!

Good luck to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register