Washing Hair??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Washing Hair??? Washing Hair???

Unread 05-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Washing Hair???

Can I wash my hair after an abdominal hysterectomy? I can't even see how that would be possible, but I also can't imagine not washing it for 6 weeks or more.

Also, is styling my hair too much activity for after surgery. African American hair care is a pretty involved process....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-09-2010, 03:30 PM
Re: Washing Hair???

hi there, i had an abdominal on 20th april a tuesday and washed my hair on the sunday after in the hospital, i used the chair in the shower and slightly bent forwards, it was prob the worst wash of its life but it felt better after, altho i did need a sleep as it wore me out
as you have afro hair it may be worth having corn rows put in so u dont have to worry until you feel more up to things hope this helps x
Unread 05-09-2010, 04:26 PM

I had my abdominal TAH (vertical incision) on Friday 4/23 and I was able to take a shower when I returned home from the castle on Sunday. My husband had to help me becuase I could not bend at all to dry myself and just to be sure I would be steady in the shower, but the doctor gave me instructions before I went home as to what I could and could not do. Make sure you ask the question of your doctor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-09-2010, 04:37 PM

If you have someone to help you wash your hair that would be easier. My DH helped me. And washing my legs and feet...no bending over!! As for styling....I thought I was gonna care about that too NOT! lol I just would wash and let it dry naturally...curly and crazy...so what. Good luck too you.
Unread 05-09-2010, 05:25 PM

Yes, just ask your Dr about any special concerns with your surgery. Like your surgical incision is healing or closed well enough. Do you have natural or permed hair? If hair is long try doing hair in sections ex... (4) and loosely braided and small amount of shampoo washing this way is good if you have no help. You might get very exhausted if you do it the regular way by yourself. Take down each sections one by one and wash and condition then re braid, then go to the next and a chair would be nice if you have one. I'm natural myself and African- American. Hope this helps.
Unread 05-09-2010, 06:57 PM

Not sure about the challenges of Afro-American hair but I couldn't wait to have a shower and wash my hair when I got home. I had my surgery (TAH/BSO) on a Tuesday, got home Friday afternoon. My DH helped me get into the shower, handed me the shampoo, body wash etc. I was able to wash my hair on my own but I was exhausted when I was done. He had to dry me and then he tried to blow dry my hair. That was some CRAZY hairdo!!! But I felt a lot better!

Also I had a haircut a couple of days before my surgery so at least it was relatively manageable. Maybe cornrows or a really short haircut might work.

I also bought dry shampoo but never used it.

I only showered avery second day for the first week. The other day I filled the sink with warm water and washed myself with a washcloth.

Hope all goes well!
Unread 05-09-2010, 07:08 PM

I had surgery on Thursday, my nurse offered to help me take a shower at the hospital but I just wanted to go home. I finally took a shower on Sunday (Hubs helped and we do have a built in bench in the shower which helped with washing legs, feet etc) and then had to take a 2 hour nap! But man did it feel good!

Maybe you can get your hair done the day before surgery and it will carry you over for a week or so? (I have several Africian American friends and know they can go a week or so at a time without washing, I am sure it does vary from person to person though).

If you try to style it yourself, maybe someone can move a chair into the bathroom for you and you can sit down while you do it?
Unread 05-09-2010, 07:14 PM

I always advise to ask you doctor, but would be happy to share my experience with you.

I had TAH (bikini cut) this past Monday, May 3rd and was finally able to shower at the hospital Weds. aftternoon - YEAH!

I didn't need my hubby's help, but did end up sitting on the chair for a bit. It felt SO good though! I do not have staples, but could not expose the steri strips to direct water, so I kept my back to the water.

I have showered every day since and have managed to shave my legs twice as well. We have a walk-in shower (No tall tub wall to step over) with corner seats. I place my foot on the seat to shave my calf.

I have very wavy hair that I blow dry and use a straigtener. By the time I am finished doing all that, I am ready to sit down, but I felt better this morning after doing all of that. So perhaps each day it will get better.

Good luck to you!
Unread 05-09-2010, 07:24 PM

WOW! This is helpful. I didn't realize washing hair could actually be done so soon after. I will definitely ask my doctor before attempting anything.

Should I assume that the sterile strips are waterproof? And does lifting your arms and such to wash hair cause risk in terms of popping stitches, etc?
Unread 05-09-2010, 07:26 PM

I can only share my experience and what my dr. told me. She told me not to let the water directly hit the incision site. I did not have to cover that area either. She said I may wipe it, but I just stayed clear of the area. It just felt so incredible to shower, I can live with leaving that area alone!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register