Hoping to travel after LAVH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hoping to travel after LAVH Hoping to travel after LAVH

Unread 11-09-2003, 05:35 PM
Hoping to travel after LAVH

My LAVH is scheduled for 11/20.

A close friend has invited my family to her house for the Thanksgiving meal on 11/27 (one week post op). I have tentatively accepted, but I wonder if this is too optimistic. She lives about 15 minutes from my home. This won't be a formal affair, so I can wear comfortable clothes, and she's offered her recliner, the couch, and her guest room should I need to rest while we're there.

In addition, my DD has a soccer tournament about three hours from home 12/6 - 12/7 (two weeks post op). I have made the hotel reservations, but DH knows that I may not join the family on this trip. It's a long car ride, the games run all day both days, and my DD is a goalie...which means every time the ball gets near her, I clench in anticipation. I'm pretty sure that this trip is not for me.

Finally, the holiday party for the faculty at the school where both my DH and I teach is on 12/11 (three weeks post op) at our principal's home. This is a festive - though casual - affair. I'd like to make an appearance, if only for half an hour or so. Does this seem reasonable?

Thanks for the input on this. I don't want to overexert myself, but I don't want to be left out, either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-09-2003, 06:36 PM

I could have easily managed the schedule that you a planning. I had a TAH/BSO and went to choir practice, church and out to lunch 6 days post op with no problems. Was tired and napped when I got home and took it easy for several days after. Thanksgiving sounds like you could do it easily. And so does the Christmas party. My gyn/oncologist released me to go back to work when I had my staples out at 2 weeks post op. I was back to work 5 hours a day at three weeks. I would have been able to do at least part of the soccer games, even if I had to spend parts of the day in the hotel room resting. Riding in the car was no problem for me. Ask your doctor about riding. Everyone heals differently so you will probably want to make your decision just before each event. Good luck in your recovery. Peg
Unread 11-09-2003, 06:37 PM

Hi Shelley,

Unfortunately, there's really no way to tell now how you will be feeling at one week, two weeks or even three weeks post-op. I had a TVH with repairs for a rectocele and a cystocele, and at one week post, I would not have been comfortable going anywhere, even to a dear friend's home, but then, most of my discomfort came from the repairs, not from the actual hyst.

Since it is only 15 minutes from home, if you do decide to go and then wish you hadn't, you're close enough to go back home pretty easily.

As far as the soccer tournament - I had to make a 2 hour drive at 3 1/2 weeks post-op, and although I did it, I was totally exhausted by the time I got there. I know you want to be there, but 2 days of sitting on bleachers watching games would be awfully hard on you. At that point in your recovery, you should be a large part of every day.

By three weeks post-op you may feel up to a half-hour or so at the holiday party - again, your body will tell you whether you are ready or not. I hope that you will be able to go, but am glad that you have thought about the possibility that you may not be ready yet.

's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-09-2003, 07:10 PM

Like the other ladies mentioned above, everyone is different. I am 2 1/2 weeks post op from a TVH and finally getting through the day without the Vicodin, but still taking Ibuprofen for feelings of pressure (swelling) and the occasional twinge and pain. But I know ladies who are already back to work after one of these.

I, personally, found it very uncomfortable to ride in a car for the first week. Too many bumpy roads and that seatbelt still gives me some grief (today was the first time I didn't add any extra padding between me and it).

I still have a hard time laughing, coughing, sneezing unless I am bent over, so I can't imagine trying to dodge soccer balls and players coming my way at two weeks post op. Those sudden movements can be painful.

I obviously can't predict how you will feel, but as one person said, maybe you'll just need to play each event by ear. Good luck to you!
Unread 11-09-2003, 07:19 PM

Hi Shelfed,

My surgery is also scheduled for 11/20/2003 LAVH....I was wondering the same thing about the traveling and all. Good Luck and keep us posted on how good you feel after surgery.

God bless,

Nelly poo
Unread 11-09-2003, 09:15 PM

I think all your plans will work out, except the soccer tourney, I can't imagine spending that many hours sitting in bleachers, or wherever they have you sitting, at a sports game. That will probably be the toughest to do!

Mary Ellen
Unread 11-10-2003, 12:25 AM
My experience...

I had a tvh and bladder sling procedure on 10/22/03, kept ovaries. I was home by the next afternoon. I took vicoden over the weekend, and by Monday morning, was down to taking advil during the day. I was able to be up and around my house. On Tuesday-10/28--I went to the store with my aunt, briefly, and then went to my son's soccer game. I did not sit on the bleachers--but in my cloth camp chair. I was totally comfortable. I felt so good that I headed back across the field afterward at a bit too brisk a pace, only to have my body remind me that I needed to slow down! ;-) The walking was good for me and got my systems back in working order. :-)

I slept thru the night for the first time since the surgery that night! Guess I wore myself out. The next night I went to the craft store and walked around for about an hour, but was hurting by the time I left. I did think that was too much.

I stayed home on the sofa for the rest of that week. Not a lot of pain, but I do get tired really easily.

I think that if everything goes well with your surgery and you have no complications, that Thanksgiving should be doable under the circumstances that you describe. If you felt too tired you could always beg off early and head home.

As far as the tournament goes--you might want to go along and stay in the hotel. If you feel up to going to one game, then do. You can always go rest up in the hotel while your family does the rest of the games. OR you can stay home and just enjoy the peace and quiet! I know it's hard missing your kid's playing--I had to miss several games the week of my surgery.

I did venture out to two more games this week, and did fine. I made my kids and dh carry my chairs and I just sat in my comfy chair and cheered.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register