Abdominal | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-18-2005, 05:11 PM
Abdominal

I just found out yesterday My doctor is going to do an abdominal hyst. I couldnt ask him any more questions past abdominal, because I started crying.
My cervix is too far back to take out "normally"? What is normal? how often is an abdominal incision made? How big and where?
How much longer to heal? Do they cut the stomach muscles or move them to the side?
I need opinions...I know everyone is different, but warm words are vital to comfort.

This is a whole new ball game for me... I am just scared.

Machita:cry: The baby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2005, 05:18 PM
Abdominal

Dear Machi,

You will be just fine. Actually abdominal hysts are the most common...however they do take 6-8 weeks to heal instead of the 4-6 for a vaginal hyst. I had a total abdominal hyst (TAH) on 1/4/2005. My incision is about 5 inches long and resembles a "smiley face" (all the nurses and my Doc called it that). It's right above your pubic area so in most cases it won't be visible unless you have a very low-rise bikini on. They do not cut the stomach muscles they pull them aside with retractors. I suggest you start reading some books and venturing through this site to get answers to you questions. It's very helpful and has truely been a Godsend for me. Here's a book I suggest you download and print off...The Worried Woman's Guide to a Happy Hysterectomy by Sheila Martin. Go to happyhysterectomy.com and you can purchase it for $20. IT'S AWESOME!

You can always private message me if you have questions too! We're all going through the same thing and all support eachother!

Take Care!

Carrie
Unread 01-18-2005, 05:40 PM
Abdominal

Dear Machi.

Most TAH, are bikini cut ... smiley face.. mine was a vertical incision, it does take longer to heal, You need to talk to your doctor about what kind you will have. Make sure you take the time you need to heal. The receptionist at my Dr.'s office said sit in the recliner... with the clicker... be a man!! You will be okay.

Rest, be waited on, NO laundry, Get a swelly belly pillow it helps!!! My DH said I was getting addict'd to mine. It really helped though>

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register