Back pain, bladder issues?? What do you think? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Back pain, bladder issues??  What do you think? Back pain, bladder issues?? What do you think?

Unread 04-23-2013, 07:09 AM
Back pain, bladder issues?? What do you think?

This has happened a few times. My TAH/LSO was on the 12th. I'm 11 days post op.

I had my 1 week Dr's appt and asked about taking my vitamins again, "yes", drinking wine, "yes". I had about 1 1/2 glasses of white wine about 5pm before dinner and was fine... P-ing fine, no pain, no sensitivity at all. ( I haven't taken Percs in over a week. Still on Motrin/Tylenol as needed)

My back has been hurting because of over compensating. I where my belly band, which helps so much, but now it's pain between my shoulder blades and the back of my neck. It felt soooo good to lay down last night! I read and fell asleep for 2 hrs before my hubby came to bed (ggrrrr). So, then I get up to P, thinking enough time has passed that I should have to go...I do, not alot. I lay back down and the grinding pain starts and the pressure starts (maybe in my bladder?) After 45 minutes, I decide to get back up and P a bit more... just a little. Felt like it was trying to relieve the pressure in my back. I took a Motrin, an hour later, same thing, I sprayed Biofreeze on my back, an hour later, back up, P, take Tylenol and get a Thermacare heat wrap to wear to bed. I was awake for prob 4 hrs with it.... and after the heat got to my back, I slept wonderfully but it was 3:30AM by then!! I also chugged 1/2 a bottle of water, Not sure if my bladder was annoyed with the wine I drank... but that would have been 7 hrs prior! or if my back locked up.... This is the same pain that I would get when my period would start.... which.... I learned after surgery that my left ovary was stuck to the back of my uterus and my backbone!! Well.... that explains why I was having mid cycle backpain & extreme lockups in my back with my period.... but not now.

Does anyone get bladder issues like this?? or could it be a back spasm that hits in the middle of the night??

I'm thinking that I'll stay away from the wine and drink more water today and see if it happens again tonite.

I should also mention... no fever at all, full urine stream this morning without pain. It has happened 2-3 times since surgery and the next night I'm fine. I've been cold but the temp outside dropped... I keep turning up the furnace! lol (ssshhhh, don't tell hubby!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2013, 08:59 AM
Re: Back pain, bladder issues?? What do you think?

I'm not sure about the back pain, but I had ALOT of issues with my bladder. A horrible bladder infection that needed two rounds of antibiotics. it was also spasming ALOT and it hurt and made me have to pee often. When I would go if I sat there long enough I could pee like 4 times haha. It was weird and annoying. I'm almost 4 weeks post op now and all that pain and annoyance ended about a week ago. When I had all the pain and infection my dr put me on peridian and it worked SO good! It's like Azo but prescription strength.
Unread 04-23-2013, 11:31 AM

I am right there with you as far as having back/bladder problems. I had been feeling "OK" for the most part until yesterday. Yesterday I started having more than the usual bladder pains I had been feeling and it was accompanied with some mild occasional nausea. I was also really tired and slept a good part of the day.

Last night I couldn't sleep at all. I couldn't get comfy, and felt the urge to pee frequently. I also feel like I have been kicked in the lower back today... the last time I felt like this, I ended up having a kidney infection.

Now... this could all be "normal" post op bladder spasms with back pain being associated with spending more time in bed yesterday as well as my overcompensation of it with being unable to use my abs..... or, I could have an infection. I put a call in to my doc this morning and am waiting on a call back. I would rather be safe than sorry and get checked out rather than wait for this to turn in to a potentially nasty infection.

Good luck to you... I will post my results as soon as I know if it helps you or someone else out who may be having similar symptoms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2013, 12:59 PM

Well, after a very painful hour long drive to the docs on our windy and bumpy country roads, my urine test came back clear for a bladder infection. My doctor said that something may be beginning to "brew" so to speak and advised I start drinking lots of cranberry juice in addition to water. Ultimately he believes it is just more intensive bladder spasms and said as long as I stay as hydrated as possible, they should ease up.

After the hour long uncomfortable ride home, I ended up with some serious pain in the evening and a massive case of swelly belly. I looked like I was do to give birth any minute. Thankfully with ice packs and a good night's sleep, I woke up feeling better today. I plan to stay in bed and rest as much as possible, other than getting up for frequent pee breaks.

Apologies for hijacking this thread... hope the OP is doing well. I just had such similar symptoms I thought I might share my experience.
Unread 04-24-2013, 02:55 PM

I put in a call to my Dr yesterday and since I missed the call, they got back to me first thing this morning... but, I didn't have "that" pain at all yesterday but I was achy & cold (no fever) and a bit nauseous... (but my son was home from school today feeling gross). I slept very well last night and woke up with a flat belly and feeling great. I told my DRs office that I can't really duplicate the pain or know that it's because I did anything in particular. They did call in a refill for my Motrin.

So... since I slept so well and feel great today, I prob over-did it. We'll see. That's ok because the house is swept, my plants and seedlings are watered (1 cup of water from the sink at a time), my roses are fertilized outside 1/2 gallon at a time, the windows are open and the air smells incredible!! I can lay around on the sofa tomorrow and feel great while I'm aching!

and somehow, I don't know if I'm the only one or not, but my urge to P at night will be annoying enough to keep me awake but during the day, I'm fine. I end up getting up to go to the bathroom about every hour... thinking it'll relieve the issue so I can go back to sleep. How 'bout you?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register