Swimming? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-24-2008, 01:18 PM
Swimming?

Hi Ladies,

I am going away next weekend for a night of R&R. The hotel has a great pool and a jacuzzi. I will be 16 days post op. When I asked my doctor before the surgery how long I have to wait until I can swim he said "until you've stopped bleeding" Well I haven't bled yet! Just spotting one day but nothing other than that. Do you think it's safe to swim? My doc is out of the country for a few weeks now and I'm not crazy about his nurse so I hate to call his office. Just looking for opinions. Thanks~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2008, 02:17 PM
Swimming?

I didn't have much bleeding post-op either, but I've been afraid to use a pool or hot tub (or even a bath) until after my 6 week appointment with the surgeon. Too afraid of bacteria getting in there that could cause an infection, personally.
Unread 01-24-2008, 02:24 PM
Swimming?

I am happy that you are able to get away. I was told that I couldn't use a bath tub for month. I would be very concerned about the 'germ pool' that you would be in, in addition to the heat of a hot tub....don't want to stress that incision. I didn't bleed either. The nurse would know for sure!
Have a great overnight...does the hotel have a nice restaurant or music to enjoy instead?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2008, 02:55 PM
Swimming?

I was told 6 weeks, no bath, no swimming as bacteria can get into vagina and urethra and cause an infection.....not sure what kind of surgery you had but I had no vaginal stitching or entry what so ever and still could not go in the water....I would rather be safe and find out for sure...
Unread 01-24-2008, 03:15 PM
Swimming?

I agree with everyone else. Don't think it is a good idea and whether you like the nurse or not call her to confirm. She will be able to answer you.
Unread 01-24-2008, 03:17 PM
Swimming?

If your dr. out of the country a dr. at the office or hospital is covering for him so call and leave a message for that person. I would not get in any water other than a shower until you have had a clear answer from your doctors' office. There are a lot of things you can do in a nice hotel that does not involve a body of water.
Unread 01-24-2008, 04:50 PM
Swimming?

Thanks Ladies,

My doctor told me I could shower or take a tub as I wanted to when I was discharged. I had a LAVH so I thought that weird and have only showered. I think I'll be safe though and skip the pool and jacuzzi. There will be other days for that. There is this great massage place we usually go to when we take this getaway so I'm thinking if we can get an appointment I might try that. I'm sure if I tell them about the surgery and where to avoid they'll work with it. Now if only I can find the energy to get myself together to get there! :-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register